LIb Dem or Green?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Richard Frost

LIb Dem or Green?

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 23 2022 7:31pm

Here in Eastbourne there is soon to be a by-election for the local Council. 6th October. Labour do not stand a chance and have declined to nominate a candidate. The Local Council is Lib-Dem run. The by-election is being contested by a Lib Dem and Green candidates.

I know what Lib Dems stand for they have well publicised national policies. Recently had a leaflet from the Green candidate saying they did not have national policies and were free thinking in the way they voted. If elected she will be the only Green councillor on the council

I have tried searching both local party's websites to get further info regarding the candidates with out success neither mention the forthcoming by-election.

With this lack of information whom do I vote for?

Full list of candidates https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/elections/ ... -anthonys/

Sarah

Re: LIb Dem or Green?

Post by Sarah » Fri Sep 23 2022 8:00pm

The tory candidate appears to have a brief article up, but that probably doesn't help you much.

Hopefully reaching out to the other parties would receive a response? If you don't receive any useful leaflets/information, there might be some on display at the polling station.
Thanked by: Richard Frost

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 23 2022 10:17pm

Nick Ansell the Conservative candidate is the husband of the Local MP Caroline Ansell. I would hope at the next General Election she would lose her seat and it would revert to The LD's. She gained it from the LD's in 2019 after Stephen Lloyd resigned the LD whip over Brexit.

Although unlikely I would not vote at all, I would rather do that than vote Conservative.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Sep 23 2022 11:19pm

Vote Green...... what's the worst they can do, trash the economy?

They're generally left of centre, anti-Tory and didn't prop up a Tory coalition (not that I hold a grudge....) :shifty:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 23 2022 11:49pm

Voting Green is my current thinking. On the basis that if she got elected she would be the only Green councillor on the council and could do very little. Even within the ward the other two councillors are LD. When it comes to a General Election. My vote will be tactical rather than principled. As I said earlier Labour have no hope of winning. The race here is a two horse one between LD and Conservative.

gle1975

Post by gle1975 » Sat Sep 24 2022 10:27am

The Greens picked up some seats in my local council in the areas on the edge of town where they are trying to build millions of new houses.

It looks as if the Green candidate stood for Labour at the last election?