Postage stamps without barcodes will be unusable from 31st July

Money, investing, mutuals etc
pihilp

Re: Postage stamps without barcodes will be unusable from 31st July

Post by pihilp » Sun Nov 20 2022 6:25pm

pabenny wrote:
Sat Nov 19 2022 2:23pm
Does anyone know what the barcodes actually do? Does it record that particular stamp as having been used?
I'd like to know as well, have lots of unfranked new type stamps which are easily peelable
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Nov 21 2022 11:47am

I suppose if you have stamps that you are recyclable, you could use one on a letter to yourself or a friend. If RM demand a surcharge, you can simply not pay it.

My guess is that if there is technology to track usage of individual stamps, it's only in some sorting offices at present.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Nov 21 2022 12:02pm

pihilp wrote:
Sun Nov 20 2022 6:25pm
pabenny wrote:
Does anyone know what the barcodes actually do? Does it record that particular stamp as having been used?
I'd like to know as well, have lots of unfranked new type stamps which are easily peelable
I do not want this to be thought of as moralising, because it is not. At the end of the day we are all responsible for our own morals and our own actions.

I in the past have reused postage stamps and I guess tbh would probably do it in the future if the need arose.

My question is that most if us would never dream of shoplifting (I think) So why do people think it is acceptable to reuse stamps. Surely it is tantamount to the same thing?

Interestingly enough this from the Royal Mail website

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... p-fraud%3F

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Nov 21 2022 12:36pm

Very good point, Richard.

We have no problem with sharing discount codes, stacking them if the retailer's system allows it, taking advantage of pricing errors.

Is re-use of unfranked stamps morally equivalent? - RM have failed to implement their own processes to prevent re-use. Trying to circumvent those processes by removing franking marks is a different matter.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Tue Nov 22 2022 3:37pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Mon Nov 21 2022 12:02pm

I do not want this to be thought of as moralising, because it is not. At the end of the day we are all responsible for our own morals and our own actions.

I in the past have reused postage stamps and I guess tbh would probably do it in the future if the need arose.

My question is that most if us would never dream of shoplifting (I think) So why do people think it is acceptable to reuse stamps. Surely it is tantamount to the same thing?

How many times have you paid for a 1st Class stamp and it has taken several days ( possibly longer ) for it to be delivered . Royal Mail have no qualms about doing this in fact they are now trying to end Saturday deliveries.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Nov 22 2022 4:14pm

expressman33 wrote:
Tue Nov 22 2022 3:37pm
Richard Frost wrote:
Mon Nov 21 2022 12:02pm

How many times have you paid for a 1st Class stamp and it has taken several days ( possibly longer ) for it to be delivered . Royal Mail have no qualms about doing this in fact they are now trying to end Saturday deliveries.
Not sure what the relevance is?

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Nov 22 2022 7:41pm

pabenny wrote:
According to Royal Mail, the barcodes will ensure that the stamps in question can be uniquely identified
https://www.allaboutstamps.co.uk/news/b ... on-stamps/

I'd say the answer to your question is "yes".
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Nov 29 2022 10:20pm

Sarah wrote:
Fri Nov 18 2022 10:49am
I've sent a sheet of them off for swap this morning.
Swaps received today; after 11 days. They exchanged my country definitives for standard definitives.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jan 31 2023 10:55am

Finally sent off my bulk stamp swap last week. I think there's still no end date for the swap out scheme itself, but nevertheless decided to be cautious and get all my swaps to them by the end of this month anyway.
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Nov 19 2022 8:28am
I have read on numerous occasions you cannot get proof of posting for this but that sounds so odd
Having also sent a few swap envelopes separately, both using the pre-printed stationery and self-addressed envelopes, I discovered why this misunderstanding about proof of posting happens.

It's because the Royal Mail only advise customers to write "FREEPOST SWAP OUT" on envelopes when sending under £200 of stamps. However, the Post Office system needs a postcode to provide proof of posting, so that unusually short address isn't enough. The solution is simple - add the correct postcode EH12 9GT to your envelope and the Post Office will then happily issue a proof of posting!

im182044

Post by im182044 » Fri Feb 17 2023 9:04pm

Surely RM can only track/check if a stamp has been used if its been scanned in sorting office.......assuming every letter is the right way up and the stamp not covered by another letter.I have no problem reusing stamps i had a parcel arrive with 7 1st class stamps all unfranked which peeled off perfectly
Thanked by: pabenny, planteria