Where are you from?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Where are you from?

Post by blythburgh » Thu Dec 01 2022 11:03am

I cannot believe the crassness of Lady Susan Hussey. If she had to know surely the only question she had to ask was "are you of Caribbean or African descent?". But what the heck does the background of a person of colour matter? Given the reason for both women being at Buck House the question should have been "what group do you represent?"

My accent still betrays my north Hampshire roots but nobody has questioned me as to where I am really from. But then I am white so that is not a question anyone would ask me.

On holiday I spoke to a lady with a beautiful little girl when we were both waiting for our other half to catch up with us at a petting farm. I asked where she was from, and in my head "I hope she realises I mean which bit of the country not where her family had originated from". Sad that I had to think that she might have misunderstood.
Last edited by blythburgh on Thu Dec 01 2022 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Dec 01 2022 11:08am

The Beeb seems to have gone over the top on this. Top of the news everywhere. it seems like overkill imo.
Thanked by: rayf, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Dec 01 2022 11:10am

I'm prepared to make allowances for someone 83 years old. However, anyone likely to make such a faux pas shouldn't be in a role that requires acute tact and diplomacy, so I think it's right she has (belatedly) stepped down.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Dec 01 2022 11:16am

In a way it is surprising it had not come out before. She has been there for 60 years and Leopards do not change their spots.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the change of roles since the Queen died, she was a Lady in Waiting to the Queen and then became a Lady of the Household. I wonder how much of her role before was at this type of gathering. However that of course is no excuse.
Thanked by: MrsXfile, blythburgh

rayf

Post by rayf » Thu Dec 01 2022 12:22pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Dec 01 2022 11:08am
The Beeb seems to have gone over the top on this. Top of the news everywhere. it seems like overkill imo.
I couldn't agree more. They and the rest of the press seem to make it their objective in live to persecute everyone they can.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Dec 01 2022 12:48pm

Unfortunately we don't appear to have a recording or transcript of the actual conversation. It seems all to be based on the account from the complainant.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Dec 01 2022 12:57pm

pabenny wrote:
Thu Dec 01 2022 12:48pm
Unfortunately we don't appear to have a recording or transcript of the actual conversation. It seems all to be based on the account from the complainant.
A very vocal complainant it would appear.

Well TBH given the situation, it is unlikely there would be a recording. Lady Hussey has not (so far) denied or indeed confirmed any part of the incident. But has according to the Palace spokesman resigned. That says a lot I think.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Dec 01 2022 12:59pm

pabenny wrote:
Thu Dec 01 2022 12:48pm
I believe it was overheard by at least one other person who has vouched for its accuracy.

I have some sympathy for the lafy and accept the fact that she is in her eighties... and also that her "class" is not an excuse but a hindrance in this case. I wonder how much day-to-day contact someone of her status has with ethnic minorities or anyone outside her "bubble".... and obviously her lived experience goes back to "Empah" days, where such conversations might have been commonplace. I also think that her service, whatever it was, should be considered, but it is obvious that she has no place in this kind of situation.

However, squeal, squeal, how the mousies are complaining...... not to defend her, but to drive the current "anti-woke" agenda. Heaven forfend that underlying prejudice be suggested in squeaky-clean Britain, yet its not long since NF (and worse) were marching on the streets and UKIP and Brexit brought the old bile to the surface........ but no form of prejudice exists, does it?!!

Like questions being asked whether a promotion was "suitable" for me, due to my accent, or SWMBO being told "you may be a Lady in your own country, but....." There is no doubt that things are "better" than they were at the end of the last century, but it'smostly because explicit prejudice is now illegal and forced under the surface. Legally protecting a swan doesn't make it bulletproof.

Having said which, I feel enough is enough in this case.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me