Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Re: This governments shenanigans

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jan 24 2023 9:00am

Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Jan 20 2023 7:02pm
Sunak fined for not wearing a seatbelt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64353054
Blair was also seen not wearing a seatbelt. But that is OK when you are the PM as all PM's are replaceable
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Jan 24 2023 9:56am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Jan 24 2023 9:00am
Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Jan 20 2023 7:02pm
Sunak fined for not wearing a seatbelt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64353054
Blair was also seen not wearing a seatbelt. But that is OK when you are the PM as all PM's are replaceable
So why did Sunak get a fine and not Blair? Was it compulsory then?

I suggest we live in a very different world today and it was cemented by Johnson. People have a lot less trust in politicians and are a lot less tolerant. than they once were. Having said that the press has rather overcooked this issue.
Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jan 24 2023 11:13am

Richard Frost wrote:
Tue Jan 24 2023 9:56am
So why did Sunak get a fine and not Blair? Was it compulsory then?
I'm no expert... however from a brief search, it looks like seat belt wearing for back seat adult passengers has been compulsory since 1991, but FPNs might only have been introduced in 2021?

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jan 24 2023 11:24am

Richard Frost wrote:
I suggest we live in a very different world today and it was cemented by Johnson. People have a lot less trust in politicians and are a lot less tolerant. than they once were. Having said that the press has rather overcooked this issue.
Obviously there have always been scandals and examples of duplicity and "doublespeak" on the part of politicians - eg. Major's sleaze and Blair's spin - but I think the turning point in general public opinion was the expenses scandal. I think that's the point at which the credibility of all politicians was very badly damaged and significantly few people were prepared to accept or overlook their transgressions.

Over time, Westminster might have repaired this damage even with the continuing background level of misdemeanours. But then Johnson blasted it to smithereens.

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 24 2023 3:38pm

Chadwick wrote:
Tue Jan 24 2023 11:24am
Richard Frost wrote:
Obviously there have always been scandals and examples of duplicity and "doublespeak" on the part of politicians - eg. Major's sleaze and Blair's spin - but I think the turning point in general public opinion was the expenses scandal. I think that's the point at which the credibility of all politicians was very badly damaged and significantly few people were prepared to accept or overlook their transgressions.

Over time, Westminster might have repaired this damage even with the continuing background level of misdemeanours. But then Johnson blasted it to smithereens.
I think you are correct, however there are several other issues that have led to the current state of play. As you say, the expenses scandal was a big wake-up call, however it exposed not only the ease with which some politicians would abuse their privileges, but also that many were completely out of touch with the general populace.... expecting the taxpayer to pay for things which have nothing to do with the role of MP. Then there were the many cases of MPs employing their own spouses or family at public expense. Then there are the many cases of influence-peddling and outright dishonesty. Then there is the rise of the "professional politician", who studies politics, works as an advisor and gets parachuted into a seat without ever having gained any real-world experience. Then there are those who treat their voters with disdain.... and who lie or otherwise break the law or show themselves to have no morals. Johnson just happened to be the epitome of that change....

Politics needs to change - and change radically.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Jan 24 2023 4:07pm

I, with purpose used the word cemented about Johnson. Not because he started the decline but because he continued the slippery slope and (almost made it fashionable) Politicians today have no shame and are prepared to be as brazen as they can get away with. Prime Ministers today, have little power largely because their majorities work against them. They have to please all factions of their party regardless of they or their cabinets views in order to stay in power. The biggest problem as I see it is we are a two party state and very little prospect of change in the near future. The Liberal Democrats remain a party of protest and have very little substance to enable them to get anywhere anytime soon.

I do not see much change in the future. I yearn for a labour government. However I fear that once in/if in power they will get the taste and divisions will be thrown up. They will perhaps have a settled year or two. But after that ??
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 24 2023 5:05pm

Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jan 25 2023 7:02pm

Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh

Sarah