Ukraine - where's the truth?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Re: Ukraine - where's the truth?

Post by macliam » Thu Feb 23 2023 8:56pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Feb 23 2023 6:11pm
Not only is he unlikely to listen, but I doubt he would be even aware of it. As I said all a bit pointless. "Gesture Politics"
Yeah, better to do nothing..... would a tut be OTT?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Feb 24 2023 10:04am

Richard Frost wrote:
Not only is he unlikely to listen, but I doubt he would be even aware of it. As I said all a bit pointless. "Gesture Politics"
Putin isn't the intended audience. It's a message to our own government to tell them there is public support for continuing to back Ukraine.
Yes, they could have written a letter, but doing something noticeable is more memorable and lasting.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Feb 24 2023 10:10am

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Feb 24 2023 10:04am
Richard Frost wrote:
Putin isn't the intended audience. It's a message to our own government to tell them there is public support for continuing to back Ukraine.
Yes, they could have written a letter, but doing something noticeable is more memorable and lasting.
Do the government not think already that that is obvious. I am not convinced that a minority group of self seeking publicists represent the majority of people anyway.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Feb 24 2023 10:45am

Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Feb 24 2023 10:10am
Do the government not think already that that is obvious. I am not convinced that a minority group of self seeking publicists represent the majority of people anyway.
What a thing to call the government!
Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sat Feb 25 2023 5:02pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Feb 24 2023 10:10am
Chadwick wrote:
Fri Feb 24 2023 10:04am
Richard Frost wrote:
Not everyone is as reasonable and moderate as you. This group wants to keep attention focused on the topic, so is staging a noticeable activity. It's publicity, that's all.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 26 2023 9:36pm

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Sep 18 2023 1:52pm

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 30 2023 12:07pm

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jan 24 2024 5:14pm

Well, the request above seems to have been largely ignored.......

Now today we are told that a Russian transport plane that came down within their territory was shot down by Ukrainian air denfence..... and that, according to Moscow, it was carrying dozens of Ukrainian PoWs heading for a prisoner exchange. A second plane was (according to the same report) diverted and the exchange is cancelled. The Ukrainians claim that the plane was carrying missile parts. There is no outside confirmation of either story.

It seems unlikely to me that Russia would transfer PoWs by air, given the current situation and their general treatment of prisoners. However, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that both cargoes were on board, Russia taking the opportunity to transport materiel under cover of a humanitarian action. It is also perfectly likely that Russia will "find" the appropriate number of Ukrainian corpses to "prove" their claims.... it is certainly true that the event has been used as an excuse to abandon the prisoner exchange.

I become increasingly concerned that Putin will succeed in his invasion, not through having better troops, not through any fault of Ukraine, but because the west has "lost interest" in the struggle, rather like this thread. Ukraine is now on the defensive, not because it wants to be, but because it needs to eke out its resources. Russia, apparently, has no such issues. The result is that brave men are dying every day just staying to stand still and prevent Russia and its "allies" taking critical territory.

I am inordinately proud of those who volunteered for the International Brigades in the fight against fascism in the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s. But in the end, their support and their blood counted for little when Franco had aid from his "friends" in Germany and Italy, whilst the west sat on its hands and accepted the propaganda against a popularly elected government, believing all the tropes of the time. Franco won - and this opened the door to a decade of fascist aggression and ultimately a war that killed millions. Even without that, the people of Spain suffered decades of repression. Let's hope we don't see a repeat in Ukraine.
Thanked by: sanity clause, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jan 27 2024 10:24am

If Trump is elected he will not support Ukraine. For me that is one of the most compelling arguments for a Biden win.
Thankfully I do not have to vote for two old men, one I would not choose to be my President and the other (Trump) I would do everything in my power to stop being elected.
You have to feel sorry for decent fair minded voters in both parties and those who are not members of either
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler