What is the difference between Lidl and Tesco?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

What is the difference between Lidl and Tesco?

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 18 2023 11:02am

Lidl arrives in the town and we give it a try. We remark how Tesco looks nicer as Lidl has the stuff in card board boxes instead of being removed from boxes and put on shelves.

Move on a fair few years. Lidl has stuff on shelves without boxes. Tesco has stuff in boxes on shelves with the message to the staff from the manufacturer they should remove front of box.

Is the front removed by Tesco staff? Of course not, anyone who is not approaching 6ft is struggling to get the front of the box ripped open and/or get the item which is wedged in the box from the upper shelves

And I can pay with cash at all checkouts in Lidl but have to search for a till that is not card only at Tesco. And both have long queues due to lack of tills manned. Something that only used to happen at Lidl in the past.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Re: What is the difference between Lidl and Tesco?

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Mar 18 2023 11:36am

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Mar 18 2023 11:02am
Lidl arrives in the town and we give it a try. We remark how Tesco looks nicer as Lidl has the stuff in card board boxes instead of being removed from boxes and put on shelves.

Move on a fair few years. Lidl has stuff on shelves without boxes. Tesco has stuff in boxes on shelves with the message to the staff from the manufacturer they should remove front of box.

Is the front removed by Tesco staff? Of course not, anyone who is not approaching 6ft is struggling to get the front of the box ripped open and/or get the item which is wedged in the box from the upper shelves

And I can pay with cash at all checkouts in Lidl but have to search for a till that is not card only at Tesco. And both have long queues due to lack of tills manned. Something that only used to happen at Lidl in the past.
Given your analysis and that you seem unhappy with Tesco compared to Lidl, probably sensible to change where you do your shopping.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Mar 20 2023 8:49am

We get things in Tesco that Lidl do not stock and I am talking about every week.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Mar 20 2023 9:12am

Personally, the things that Tesco sold that were of interest to me, they no lonnger stock. I walk around the store and often find little or nothing that I actually want to buy. Lidl was a favourite go-to for a while for certain things (wine, steaks, the bakery, the centre aisle. non "British" products and fruit and vegetables) however, it is 8 miles away and the opening of an Aldi store 3 miles away has changed my shopping habit. The Aldi is close to Tesco and has done it no favours.

I also trust both Lidl and Aldi more than Tesco.........
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Mar 20 2023 7:34pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Mar 20 2023 9:12am
Personally, the things that Tesco sold that were of interest to me, they no lonnger stock. I walk around the store and often find little or nothing that I actually want to buy. Lidl was a favourite go-to for a while for certain things (wine, steaks, the bakery, the centre aisle. non "British" products and fruit and vegetables) however, it is 8 miles away and the opening of an Aldi store 3 miles away has changed my shopping habit. The Aldi is close to Tesco and has done it no favours.

Never buy bread from anywhere but our local bakery. They have several branches in the town and a nearby village. There is real bread and supermarket rubbish IMHO
Thanked by: macliam

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Mar 20 2023 9:09pm

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Mar 20 2023 7:34pm
macliam wrote:
Mon Mar 20 2023 9:12am

Never buy bread from anywhere but our local bakery. They have several branches in the town and a nearby village. There is real bread and supermarket rubbish IMHO
Your HO is misplaced, Lidl have an instore bakery, that's why I bought bread there. The price/quality ratio far exceeds other bakeries. The other stuff to which you refer is not bread.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Mar 21 2023 9:14am

I still do not think Lidl can sell me a bread as good as my local bakery. But they do sell Portuguese tart (sorry forgotten correct name). I have bought and enjoyed them but always wonder how they compare to the "real" thing you would buy at a bakers in Portugal

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Mar 21 2023 1:33pm

My local Tesco - quite a big one - has got a noticeably reduced range and quantity of products. Nearly a third of the floor space is given over to non-food now.
I can't help wondering if Tesco is experiencing supply chain problems more than other supermarkets?
Thanked by: blythburgh