Election Day (for some)

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Richard Frost

Re: Election Day (for some)

Post by Richard Frost » Fri May 05 2023 2:06pm

Sarah wrote:
Fri May 05 2023 1:42pm
Yeah, it's tabloid journalism, but most sources seem to agree there were likely many more people like Oonagh Preece that ultimately were prevented from voting in this election as a result of tory rule change, than previously through fraud.
I can agree with that. Although looking at the results. It would appear that mainly the tory party has lost out on this occasion.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Re: Election Day (for some)

Post by Chadwick » Sat May 06 2023 4:12pm

Sarah wrote:
Fri May 05 2023 1:42pm
Yeah, it's tabloid journalism, but most sources seem to agree there were likely many more people like Oonagh Preece that ultimately were prevented from voting in this election as a result of tory rule change, than previously through fraud.
"prevented" in the sense that that they didn't do one of several options available to them. It's a step similar to having to check you are on the register with a proxy or postal vote if you want one.

I don't agree that we need postal ID (I saw a quote somewhere that more Tory MPs have been charged with sex crimes than people have been charged with voter fraud). But to claim you were prevented by your own inaction is somewhat distorting the meaning of the word.
Thanked by: blythburgh