No more More

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

Re: No more More

Post by pabenny » Tue Jun 06 2023 9:12pm

Thanks for the report back.

I do wonder why they're bothering. It seems to take the worst bits of every supermarket loyalty scheme over the last ten years.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Jun 06 2023 9:40pm

Intrestingly enough Morrisons is the third highest for prices in the latest Which? survey. They have a long way to go if they want to win back custom.

AlDI and LIDL remain the cheapest followed by
ASDA then Sainsburys (Sainsbury's surprised me, I always thought they were more expensive than Tesco. Although they have seen a large drop in profits over the last year and recently launched "Nectar Prices")
Tesco and Morrisons
Ocado and Waitrose being the most expensive

Full rankings here https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/wh ... rtf5z9LnBx

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Wed Jun 07 2023 6:37am

I do agree about Morrisons seeming to have higher prices. The trouble with those surveys is that they are based on a basket of goods - 40 items in the main Which? one - that doesn't align with what I buy.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 07 2023 9:40am

pabenny wrote:
Wed Jun 07 2023 6:37am
I do agree about Morrisons seeming to have higher prices. The trouble with those surveys is that they are based on a basket of goods - 40 items in the main Which? one - that doesn't align with what I buy.
Your shopping basket is similar to ours then, pabenny. Too much of stuff not on the list and too little of what is.

And I also agree that the new points system is pointless. Spent £7.98 at Morrisons yesterday because we went to the cafe with family. They love it there and as now both have lost their driving licences due to eyesight problems it meant they got out of the house, had a meal and did some shopping.

So we got 1200pts for the meal but no points for the shopping. And despite the extra pts for every £6 spent in the cafe it did not have many people in it. The shop was not that busy either.

I think it could be next year at the earliest before I get enough pts. Not even getting them on petrol sales is going to make me use them rather than a non supermarket forecourt.

And as I had to wait in the entrance I noticed that there is no customer service desk anymore. One less place to ask a question or complain etc
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jun 07 2023 11:17am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jun 07 2023 9:40am
Not even getting them on petrol sales is going to make me use them rather than a non supermarket forecourt.
You should have received 5 points per litre for fuel.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 07 2023 5:48pm

Sarah wrote:
Wed Jun 07 2023 11:17am
blythburgh wrote:
Not even getting them on petrol sales is going to make me use them rather than a non supermarket forecourt.
I won't as I just refuse to use supermarket forecourts. If the others go under we will all be queuing for ages at the Morrisons et al pumps. And how many of them will end up card only like the Asda one locally? No, I will go to which ever smaller forecourt is near when I need to fill up. And do not want the supermarkets getting all my dosh anyway
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jun 07 2023 6:16pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jun 07 2023 5:48pm
Sarah wrote:
Wed Jun 07 2023 11:17am
blythburgh wrote:
I won't as I just refuse to use supermarket forecourts. If the others go under we will all be queuing for ages at the Morrisons et al pumps. And how many of them will end up card only like the Asda one locally? No, I will go to which ever smaller forecourt is near when I need to fill up. And do not want the supermarkets getting all my dosh anyway
Your principles must be costing you a fortune. Generally supermarkets are a lot cheaper (although there are some exceptions) and the quality is just as good

planteria

Post by planteria » Wed Jun 07 2023 9:18pm

i tend to agree, and it's not as though most non-supermarket filling stations are independent family businesses. as has come clearly into the public domain with the Issa brothers taking Asda, EG Group had been a beast building for years. Subway on the menu now too.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jun 07 2023 10:56pm

The only non-chain filling station I've seen anywhere near here closed years ago. So there's no such option anymore; in fact the 3 filling stations closest to where I live are all Esso branded, 2 of which are on the same road literally within a few mins of each other!
Thanked by: blythburgh, planteria

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jun 08 2023 10:46am

The ones I use most are in villages and have an independently owned shop or repair garage attached. Guess I am lucky and the price is around what the supermarkets charge to be honest. And if a penny or two more per litre, well we do not use a lot of petrol these days