I am woman, hear me roar

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

I am woman, hear me roar

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 14 2023 11:15am

Cannot believe what I read sometimes.

I applied for a bus pass renewal and was disgusted and and angry that I only had male and female to choose from. OK not a problem for me but it would be for some and they deserve at least something they can happily tick.

And now I feel even more angry when I read about this glossary from John Hopkins University:

The Baltimore-based university released its glossary on the diversity and inclusion section of its website.

John Hopkins University defined lesbians as “a non-man attracted to non-men” but described a gay man as “a man who is emotionally, romantically, sexually, affectionately, or relationally attracted to other men, or who identifies as a member of the gay community”.

My distant relative who is a lesbian is not a non-man she is 100% woman. OK she is far more butch than Disney Princess but that does not mean she is not 100% female. She most definitely is not a non-man, she is a woman and as much a woman as this heterosexual one.

Why can't people who produce official forms and documents treat women and anyone who feels they are LGBTQ+ with the same respect they treat heterosexual men.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Re: I am woman, hear me roar

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jun 14 2023 11:20am

What gender do you think was missing?

In my opinion there are only two genders, my choice what I actually define as. If I was trans I think I would be quite happy to identify as my chosen gender.
Thanked by: Oggy, expressman33, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 14 2023 5:11pm

In surveys you usually get male/female/non binary/trans/other or something similar. They could at least put "other"
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jun 14 2023 5:31pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jun 14 2023 5:11pm
In surveys you usually get male/female/non binary/trans/other or something similar. They could at least put "other"
Those are not genders. They are either choices or orientation. Gender imo is clear cut. Male or Female. However, it is my opinion and I am happy to have a different opinion from yours.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jun 15 2023 7:47am

Richard Frost wrote:
Wed Jun 14 2023 5:31pm
blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jun 14 2023 5:11pm
Those are not genders. They are either choices or orientation. Gender imo is clear cut. Male or Female. However, it is my opinion and I am happy to have a different opinion from yours.
I respect your views, Richard. But I am in the camp that understands a few people genuinely feel they were born in the wrong body. And if they are genuinely want to live as a woman/man which involves medical treatment including surgery then I am happy to think of them as the sex they have chosen.

What worries me is the way adolescents are being made to think they are in the wrong sex by social media and even the mainstream media.

And I am not happy with the "I want it all" attitude of some trans people.

There is one peer of the realm, Matilda Simon, Baron of Wythenshawe, who has only got the title because she was born a man. But women born female in England and Wales are unable to inherit the title etc. The current Duke of Norfolk inherited the title, stately home etc although he was a distant cousin of the previous Duke. The last Duke had daughters who lost everything when there Father died. We had a similar thing happen in Suffolk. Henham is home to the Latitude festival and is owned by the Earl of Stradbroke. A previous Earl had only daughters and so the title and estate went to his hated brother. He died 6 weeks later meaning his son inherited but of course that meant 2 lots of death duties had to be paid within weeks. To help pay them the current Earl sold off family treasures which the daughters complained bitterly about. They had already lost a court case in which their father had tried to keep the estate in the hands of his branch of the family.

If we had the same law as Scotland the first born inherits the title and estate. Until the current Princess of Wales was pregnant the law was changed so the first born child would be first in line for the crown. But sadly that law was not changed so that women could inherit title and estate.

Another thing that I think is wrong is someone born female retains their womb etc so they can become a parent.

And sorry for the trans athletes as I am I am convinced they should not be competing against those born a woman. A woman trans athlete will always have certain advantages over athletes who were born as women.
Thanked by: Richard Frost

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Jun 15 2023 3:38pm

Saw this today on a site. Quite sensible I thought

Male
Female
In another way

No comment needed just a tick
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jun 16 2023 9:10am

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Jun 15 2023 3:38pm
Saw this today on a site. Quite sensible I thought

Male
Female
In another way

No comment needed just a tick
I find that a great list for a form though I can understand why some surveys and other places like a hospital etc would like to put people into the correct group for them.