Become a Sharing Star

richard@imutual
Sharing: 2stars.png

Become a Sharing Star

Post by richard@imutual » Wed Jan 25 2012 11:53am

You may have seen my earlier post about our new Quick Share buttons, which give you a fast and easy way to promote imutual to friends, contacts and potential members on other sites.

As imutual does not spend its members' money on advertising, I think getting our members to 'share' imutual content in this way is hugely important for us all. So we'll be paying a lot of attention to this and rewarding / recognising members' efforts accordingly :)

Of course, we already reward referrals with shares and offer promoter shares for posting bargains. However, some of you find it harder than others to recruit new members, so I think we need to give encouragement to those of you who make the effort to promote imutual, even if it doesn't immediately result in bonus shares.

So we've introduced a concept of "Sharing Stars" - stars which appear against your name on the forums to reflect your efforts. See here for details

It's really simple to get your first star - just use one of the quick share buttons on any post or offer, or on the tell-a-friend page. That's it! It will take you all of a few seconds :shock:

We recalculate the ranks every day, and your updated stars will then be shown on the forum.

You can also see a report on your sharing activity in our new Member reports section

I'd welcome your feedback on this. If it is generally well-received, I think we could extend the 'stars' concept to "Posting stars" (based on number of posts and thanks received) and "Deal-finding stars" (posting popular offers)

:thumbup:
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost

Re: Become a Sharing Star

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jan 25 2012 12:09pm

I really do not want to appear to be negative but this all appears very gimmicky.

It would be nice to come up with something that encouraged existing members who do not use the forum to start using it. It still feels like the forum is a very select club there are 2903 members today and as at today's date individual non staff posters were 89 to have posted in the forum this month. This seems low. Increasing the amount of active posters will achieve more forum activity and the potential benefits that would bring are immense.

richard@imutual

Post by richard@imutual » Wed Jan 25 2012 12:36pm

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback :)

I agree that it's important to encourage as many members as possible to become forum contributors. I don't think this conflicts with that at all, indeed I think it helps. With sites such as this, the % of people who post will always be a small % of the overall membership (with the remainder either not interested in forum posts or happy to read them 'silently'). With less than 3000 members after over 18 months of operation, surely we're likely to get more posters by concentrating on increasing the overall number of signups?

By bringing people's attention to the ability to easily share posts (e.g. on Twitter, Facebook or Email), we are likely to draw in a much larger audience to the forums who might otherwise have not been aware of imutual at all. Each time one of the forum "regulars" is reading a post, this encourages them to think "I wonder if anyone I know would also be interested to read this?". And within a few seconds, they can alert hundreds (maybe thousands) of contacts to the post.

As to whether this particular method of encouraging 'sharing' is seen as gimmicky, we'll have to see what other members think. But every popular forum I've seen seems to have some form of ranking for contributors :?

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Jan 25 2012 8:15pm

I think it's a good idea
and it don't cost anyone anything
as R says
all decent forums hav sum sort of reconition for their posers
Politically incorrect since 69

richard@imutual

Post by richard@imutual » Thu Jan 26 2012 8:58am

There is now a League Table of Sharers in your reports area.

Congrats to Kev on replacing Michelle as a 5 star sharer ;)

At the moment, it's fairly easy to climb the table just by creating share links, but as the competition hots up you're going to need to actually getting new visitors clicking through your shared links to get the top rankings

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Jan 26 2012 9:13am

If this only started yesterday
How come RY got 13000+ :?:

richard@imutual

Post by richard@imutual » Thu Jan 26 2012 10:09am

The sharing links have been available for a while, most notably the Twitter one

I plan to drop 'star rankings' for staff at some point, but it's useful to have them initially as a way of publicising the feature

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Jan 27 2012 12:29pm

League says I'm 2nd but only 4 stars

richard@imutual

Post by richard@imutual » Fri Jan 27 2012 3:31pm

I've recalculated the ranks to correct this. Not really sure why it didn't happen automatically :? Will keep an eye on it :problem:

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Feb 01 2012 10:08am

Havin red the bumf on earnin sharin starrs
Am I right in thinkin the Most I can earn by Sharin links is 100 points per day assumin no one visits threw mee links?