Knight and Day - FILM REVIEW

GuyUK

Knight and Day - FILM REVIEW

Post by GuyUK » Sun Jul 18 2010 12:33pm

If spoof James Bond type films are your thing this film is a treat. From the beginning well choreographed fight sequences on what can only be described as the 'flight from hell' certainly identify Cruise's character's 'secret agent' credentials. Cross and double cross coupled with the "is he a goodie or a baddie" format are thrown in to the mix for good measure as a myriad of groups try to relieve him of a brand new AA sized battery powerful enough to power a small city indefinitely.

Id read that the film was a action comedy but, to be honest, the laughs are few and far between and most of the comedy (and, of course, a gratuitous bikini scene) is delivered in lines from Cameron Diaz - especially whilst under the influence of a truth drug.

Tom Cruise proved he could act very well in the thought inspiring 'Last Samuri' but here he falls foul of a storyline that is so fuelled by adrenaline effects that any actor could have fronted the role and the story would have been told just as well. This film is another 'Mission Impossible' just with fewer characters.

To my mind a film that is over the industry standard 90 minutes long should have a storyline that makes the time fly by - sadly for this film you do feel the extra 20 minutes and, although the ending chase/effect sequences are well produced, they dont really add to the storyline.

All in all one to watch if you are an shoot them up action freak but maybe one to hold off on until it is released on dvd.

Running Time 110 mins
Certificate 12 A
Release date 6th August

PS - Many thanks to Nicola for ensuring I got my ticket.
Last edited by GuyUK on Mon Jul 19 2010 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slick

Re: Knight and Day

Post by Slick » Mon Jul 19 2010 4:40pm

Just IMHO... But I think we need to prefix the subject titles for film reviews - as I didnt know what this was till I went in.

Yes - on the "Active Topics" search is does say Film Forum underneath but its pretty small.

[REVIEW] or something like that? Also, shall we adopt a star system? Im sure I can create some nice star PNGs for everyone to use :D

Slick

Post by Slick » Mon Jul 19 2010 4:49pm

Something like this:

GuyUK

Post by GuyUK » Mon Jul 19 2010 5:13pm

Slick wrote:Just IMHO... But I think we need to prefix the subject titles for film reviews - as I didnt know what this was till I went in.

Yes - on the "Active Topics" search is does say Film Forum underneath but its pretty small.
Good ideas slick - Ive ammended the subject title field

RY - any chance slicks comments can be incorporated into the special interests title of films?