Went to Bath Uni

The light-hearted side of life
blythburgh

Went to Bath Uni

Post by blythburgh » Wed May 01 2019 9:39pm

This quiz question reminds me of the time we went to see the Uni ceramic and art degree show at Bath University. (Katie was at art college with 'im indoors and Margaret for 2 years. She did not stay for the third year but went to Bath to do a degree.) So Katie's Mum drove us down in her elderly car with Margaret as navigator and us sitting quietly in the back.

M25: we are in the fast lane when the car breaks down - over heating. Car pulls up and driver wants to put water in radiator but Elizabeth refused and said it will be OK when it cools down. Told police would fine us. But police arrived and managed to push to stop traffic and car pushed to side of road.

In time car was drivable and we are now outside of London on the road to Bath. Car breaks down again, not overheated this time. 'in indoors walks with Elizabeth to the nearest roadside phone. Walk back to car and join Margaret and me on the hilly side of the road. RAC on their way but Elizabeth needs a wee. Halfway up the hilly side to a large bush the RAC arrive and she does not know if she should go up and relieve herself or come down. Comes down and car fixed, up the hill again and then on to Bath.

We arrive and park in the road near the B and B we were staying at. As you know Bath is extremely hilly, car bonnet far higher than boot. Unloaded suitcases and realised petrol was leaking out of the petrol tank. Not sure what to do so left car where it was and hoped petrol leak would soon stop.

Return trip was uneventful but we were very relieved to be back home safely.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: Went to Bath Uni

Post by macliam » Wed May 01 2019 10:02pm

Back in the day, Bath offered me a place if I got 2 C's..... which was more or less giving me an open door at that time. Southampton was more of a challenge!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu May 02 2019 6:57am

Bath is an superb city to visit.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 02 2019 10:40am

Southampton has a lot to offer as well
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu May 02 2019 1:59pm

I lived in Bath at the time - so it would have been the easy option. Bath Uni was then "new", now it has established a reputation. As a city, Bath is great - compact and full of character and history.

Southampton offered everything I wanted from the course and it was a great place to be a student - everything in easy reach, good open spaces and easy access to other places. I continued to live and work there for some time after Uni, before going back to work in Ireland.

But then, as now, London was the magnet for career progression...... it was a magnet I tried hard to avoid, but failed.... so I spent almost 20 years schlepping around the capital. It's hard to believe that I've now been away from it for almost as long!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu May 02 2019 7:12pm

macliam wrote:
Thu May 02 2019 1:59pm
I lived in Bath at the time - so it would have been the easy option. Bath Uni was then "new", now it has established a reputation. As a city, Bath is great - compact and full of character and history.

Southampton offered everything I wanted from the course and it was a great place to be a student - everything in easy reach, good open spaces and easy access to other places. I continued to live and work there for some time after Uni, before going back to work in Ireland.

But then, as now, London was the magnet for career progression...... it was a magnet I tried hard to avoid, but failed.... so I spent almost 20 years schlepping around the capital. It's hard to believe that I've now been away from it for almost as long!!
Ah yes, London, also known as the "rat race".
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]