New claims "appeals" process

richard@imutual
Sharing: 2stars.png

Re: New claims "appeals" process

Post by richard@imutual » Mon Apr 09 2012 5:22pm

cashbacklover wrote:The rules that you currently have in force ;) Cashback offer listings at least elsewhere often state that using a voucher code may/will invalidated cashback
Yes, but the member is saying they didn't do what the merchant is claiming they did. This is one of the more common scenarios for rejected claims and, in my experience, the reason can be either that:
- The merchant hasn't checked properly (or the technology/reporting has failed somewhere along the line) and is using an arbitrary reason
OR
- The member isn't telling the truth. Maybe on purpose, or maybe they forgot about the voucher code or inadvertently used another link

How do you decide which is the case? :?

cccashbacklover

Post by cccashbacklover » Mon Apr 09 2012 5:24pm

richard@imutual wrote:The whole idea (which I thought you'd initially embraced) was to allow a member to appeal to their peers. How does banning them from posting fit with this principle or the mutual ethos in general? We can take a poll on this element though, and I'll be guided by the majority view ;)
I didnt say "banning them from posting - they may not wish to - I said ;)

"There shouldnt be any need for them to post - all the supporting claim info/proof should have been collected by I-Mutual from the member and the case merely replicated to us to read and vote on".

( excluding any personal info like email add, residential address elc)
There are those who agree with and those who are convinced to agree with and I fall into neither of those categories ....

richard@imutual

Post by richard@imutual » Mon Apr 09 2012 5:25pm

Yes, I understand that. Which is why I asked the supplementary question: would you go further and prevent someone from using / revealing their normal identity, even if they wanted to?

cccashbacklover

Post by cccashbacklover » Mon Apr 09 2012 5:27pm

richard@imutual wrote:[
Yes, but the member is saying they didn't do what the merchant is claiming they did. This is one of the more common scenarios for rejected claims and, in my experience, the reason can be either that:
- The merchant hasn't checked properly (or the technology/reporting has failed somewhere along the line) and is using an arbitrary reason
OR
- The member isn't telling the truth. Maybe on purpose, or maybe they forgot about the voucher code or inadvertently used another link

How do you decide which is the case? :?
By the history of that merchant offer whilst it has been live on I-Mutual - If there is no history then non freebie cash history of the member I.M.O

Cashback site would know if link was used leading up to date/time of email confirmation transaction proof ;)
Last edited by cccashbacklover on Mon Apr 09 2012 5:46pm, edited 2 times in total.

cccashbacklover

Post by cccashbacklover » Mon Apr 09 2012 5:29pm

richard@imutual wrote:Yes, I understand that. Which is why I asked the supplementary question: would you go further and prevent someone from using / revealing their normal identity, even if they wanted to?
Why would they want/need to unless it was an attempt to sway the vote in their favour. :?:
There are those who agree with and those who are convinced to agree with and I fall into neither of those categories ....

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Apr 09 2012 5:54pm

I have to say as someone who has put in several claims. I have no problems with the way the site runs at the moment. I do accept that sometimes I will lose. What Richard is proposing gives the member an additional form of redress if he/she feels aggrieved. That has to be a good thing. I am not prepared to follow the legal path. (Although I do agree with CashBackLover that I am not sure sites would have a leg to stand on if it was ever tested) At the end of the day it is about doing business with those you trust. There are some high street stores that I will not do business with in the same way there are some cashback sites I would not touch with a bargepole. I would also add that it is unlikely I personally would take a claim to appeal in this way. Unless maybe if it was for a big claim. Even then I would probably think twice before going ahead.
Thanked by: cccashbacklover

cccashbacklover

Post by cccashbacklover » Mon Apr 09 2012 5:58pm

Drahcir wrote: I would also add that it is unlikely I personally would take a claim to appeal in this way. Unless maybe if it was for a big claim. Even then I would probably think twice before going ahead.
Woud you appeal against a rejection if it was done same way as T and Q sites do it - confidentialy through account support ticket :?:

richard@imutual

Post by richard@imutual » Mon Apr 09 2012 6:04pm

cashbacklover wrote:
richard@imutual wrote:Why would they want/need to unless it was an attempt to sway the vote in their favour. :?:
That could indeed be one reason. Someone might want to say "Hey look, this is me. The person who's made lots of worthwhile contributions, found great deals, helped people out, thanked people, supported imutual etc etc. I think that helps other members to assess the validity of my claim and to I'd like that be taken into account". Would you ban them from doing so?

Also, it's convenience. An appeal can be a conversation, which might involve several questions from members, to establish the facts. Should the claimant be prevented from using their normal forum handle to answer those questions? And either forced to create and use a new account (difficult for them) or ask staff to post every required response on their behalf (more difficult for everyone concerned)?

I'm happy to allow people to appeal anonymously if they really want to. But I struggle to see the sense in a big brother approach which actually prevents people from using their existing forum identity

cccashbacklover

Post by cccashbacklover » Mon Apr 09 2012 6:13pm

No you wouldnt ban them from doing so as they could otherwise do it via PM ;)

No unfairness would result as "Ultimately if two members, one a regular forum poster, the other never posts on the forum have both evidenced that they have carried out a valid transaction in respect of the same offer via the same merchant unless one of the members has abused the offer then the decision/outcome has to be the same for both members"

Once I-Mutual have transaction proved info from member there really should be nothing much if anything to question the member about as transaction proved info should answer all questions especially as I-Mutual wlll know if its link was clicked through immediately before date and time of transaction proof.
Last edited by cccashbacklover on Mon Apr 09 2012 6:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Apr 09 2012 6:18pm

cashbacklover wrote:
Drahcir wrote: I would also add that it is unlikely I personally would take a claim to appeal in this way. Unless maybe if it was for a big claim. Even then I would probably think twice before going ahead.
Woud you appeal against a rejection if it was done same way as T and Q sites do it - confidentialy through account support ticket :?:
Can't speak for Q never been a member nor am I likely to join. TCB probably not. Never made a claim there as yet and prefer to use this site anyway. Despite CB rates often being slightly higher @ TCB albeit pennies. For me it is about Customer Service and friendliness. In my opinion this site wins hands down for both. I am not going to go elsewhere as long as that lasts here. Also something that seems to be coming much more to the fore here is honesty & openness. Something sorely lacking with most business not just cashback sites. Not everyone is willing or able to forgo the additional pennies they might be able to earn elsewhere. I accept that. At the end of the day we make our own beds etc.....
Thanked by: kevinchess1