2018 accounts and notice of AGM

pabenny

Re: 2018 accounts and notice of AGM

Post by pabenny » Mon Dec 31 2018 8:38am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Sun Dec 30 2018 7:26pm
With only three members attending and 2 briefly looking in. I thought a pretty poor show. Democracy in action??

Only 18 people bothered to vote. Appalling state of affairs. Why do people not bother? Work should be done over the next year to encourage more people to take active participation.
Company AGMs are about formal business such as approving the accounts and reappointing directors. The votes are also formalities (in that they are rarely contested and even more rarely not passed).

The model that most companies are built on (including IM) is that shareholders (the owners) appoint directors to run the business on their behalf; the directors must report back periodically to shareholders, who can fire the directors if they are unhappy with their stewardship. Except on a few fundamental matters, the shareholders get no direct say in the running of the business.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Dec 31 2018 8:54am

pabenny wrote:
Mon Dec 31 2018 8:38am
William Joseph1 wrote:
Sun Dec 30 2018 7:26pm
With only three members attending and 2 briefly looking in. I thought a pretty poor show. Democracy in action??

Only 18 people bothered to vote. Appalling state of affairs. Why do people not bother? Work should be done over the next year to encourage more people to take active participation.
Company AGMs are about formal business such as approving the accounts and reappointing directors. The votes are also formalities (in that they are rarely contested and even more rarely not passed).

The model that most companies are built on (including IM) is that shareholders (the owners) appoint directors to run the business on their behalf; the directors must report back periodically to shareholders, who can fire the directors if they are unhappy with their stewardship. Except on a few fundamental matters, the shareholders get no direct say in the running of the business.
I am fully aware of all of the above and it does not change my mind in saying that
Work should be done over the next year to encourage more people to take active participation.
Thanked by: blythburgh, dustie

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Dec 31 2018 9:44am

I forgot, to be honest at the appointed time I wanted to hear something on the radio and watch something on TV. Problem solved partially by hearing prog and watching iplayer. But to be frank was not really bothered about the AGM but did cast a proxy vote.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Dec 31 2018 9:51am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Dec 31 2018 9:44am
I forgot, to be honest at the appointed time I wanted to hear something on the radio and watch something on TV. Problem solved partially by hearing prog and watching iplayer. But to be frank was not really bothered about the AGM but did cast a proxy vote.
Not too bothered about the future of your beloved iMutual then... So I see TV much more important. You missed the vote to have all your shares taken away from you! :o

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Dec 31 2018 9:54am

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Dec 31 2018 9:51am
blythburgh wrote:
Not too bothered about the future of your beloved iMutual then... So I see TV much more important. You missed the vote to have all your shares taken away from you! :o
I am not really bothered about my shares, I am bothered about the site I have belonged to from the beginning, after being a member from the early days of Richard's previous cashback site. And because I care I put in a proxy vote as I have the utmost faith in Richard.

And I would have been in the same position as expresso with no microphone available to me so missed nothing really

But I never miss an opportunity on FB groups about Swagbucks and other similar sites to push imutual. Have even got some people to join by wittering on about the site. Sometimes it is saying how well I have done or just saying the toppers comp answer today is XXX and credit the imutual forum for the answer. A way of reminding people of the site. ;)
Last edited by blythburgh on Mon Dec 31 2018 9:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: RonFlorabud
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Dec 31 2018 9:59am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Dec 31 2018 9:54am
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Dec 31 2018 9:51am
blythburgh wrote:
I am not really bothered about my shares, I am bothered about the site I have belonged to from the beginning, after being a member from the early days of Richard's previous cashback site. And because I care I put in a proxy vote as I have the utmost faith in Richard.

And I would have been in the same position as expresso with no microphone available to me so missed nothing really

Did you not have anything positive to add?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Dec 31 2018 10:04am

expressman33 wrote:
Mon Dec 31 2018 8:31am
I tried to log on to the AGM but because I only have speakers and no microphone I kept getting error message " no microphone detected" so I could only get a picture and no sound
There was an option to log into the meeting using a phone as a microphone / speakers which seemed pretty obvious to me but I guess could be confused by the less technology aware...!?!

loz68

Post by loz68 » Mon Dec 31 2018 10:09am

Missed the last few years, down to the date AGM is on, needs changing like Richard has already announced.

Apologies to those members who are obviously better members than myself.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Dec 31 2018 10:15am

blythburgh wrote:
Sort of reminds me when I ask people why they didn't vote in the referendum and they said they would just accept them outcome and then bellyache when something happens they didn't expect! I wonder if all those suffragettes are turning in their graves and wondering why they wasted their time and efforts!!!

Thank you for your insight and honesty...

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Dec 31 2018 10:38am

As I said Boro Boy I voted by proxy and would not have been able to do more than see Richard so would have been a pointless exercise anyway.

The suffragettes may be turning in their graves but men are just as guilty of not voting as women. And I do not care about the suffragettes as IMHO and in the HO of many experts on the subjects they set back women's suffrage and it was the arguments of the suffragists that won women the vote not the terrorism of the break away group.

I prefer to help imutual by spreading the word and reminding those who have heard of the site before and if I have an idea for the site to let Richard know via the site forum. And if he does not take up my idea I do not care as I feel he knows far more about the business and what can be done than me