Compulsory voting?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest

Should voting in the UK be made compulsory?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 05 2015 2:05pm

Yes
35%
No
53%
Abstain
12%
Do not give a ****
No votes

Total votes: 17

blythburgh

Re: Compulsory voting?

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jan 31 2015 9:03am

I am sick and tired of people moaning about what the Govt and the local and County councils do or do not do. If you do not like any of the candidates/parties then choose the least worst one.

I am entitled to moan about some of the things this Govt has done because I not only voted but I voted LibDem and am ashamed at some of the things, like the bedroom tax, they let become law without a fight
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jan 31 2015 4:02pm

blythburgh wrote:I am sick and tired of people moaning about what the Govt and the local and County councils do or do not do. If you do not like any of the candidates/parties then choose the least worst one.

I am entitled to moan about some of the things this Govt has done because I not only voted but I voted LibDem and am ashamed at some of the things, like the bedroom tax, they let become law without a fight

The time may have come, with the rise of the smaller parties, at last we may be able to vote for a party which at least represents some of our varied thoughts.....
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 01 2015 7:01am

Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:I am sick and tired of people moaning about what the Govt and the local and County councils do or do not do. If you do not like any of the candidates/parties then choose the least worst one.

The time may have come, with the rise of the smaller parties, at last we may be able to vote for a party which at least represents some of our varied thoughts.....
What I meant to say was I am sick and tired of people who do not bother to vote moaning etc.

And the LibDem negotiators were so stupid they forced the Tories to have a vote on changing the voting system and then agreed it should be done on the day of the local elecions. All the parties were so busy trying to get the electorate to vote for their candidates they had no time to talk about the pros and cons of proportional representation voting system. Needless to say an ill informed electorate voted for the status quo. I heard a prominant Labour MP on the radio who said he had been passionate about changing to a PR system of voting for many, many years but had no time to discuss it with anyone as it was vital to get their candidates elected.

So in May the LibDems will get a far smaller vote than UKIP but will end up with far more MP's. I admit that suits me just fine but is it democracy?

Will also be interesting in May how many people use all their votes. I will have the chance for voting for my MP, 3 district Councillors and my Police Commissioner. I will once again be writing "waste of money" on the polling form for the Police Commissioner.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler