Fall/Autumn already?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Fall/Autumn already?

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:01 pm

I don't know about the area where you live but the trees have been discarding their leaves for the last week or so and this year a lot of the bark is just peeling off freely which is not something I have seen on this scale before...

I just wondered if this is a London/South Eastern phenomenon or is it happening in your area and what you put in down to...? :eh:
Thanked by: blythburgh, adamred6

pabenny

Re: Fall/Autumn already?

Post by pabenny » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Drought and heat

Many plants have been stressed by the prolonged high temperatures and lack of water over the last couple of months and are shedding leaves to conserve resources.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:14 pm

pabenny wrote:Drought and heat

Many plants have been stressed by the prolonged high temperatures and lack of water over the last couple of months and are shedding leaves to conserve resources.

Don't know about that; I've been around awhile and lived through many a hosepipe ban (without anything like this happening) and it didn't even reach that level recently... :eh:

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:46 pm

I agree with Pabenny , plants and trees lose water through the leaves .Not enough water , solution is to lose some of the leaves

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:07 pm

expressman33 wrote:I agree with Pabenny , plants and trees lose water through the leaves .Not enough water , solution is to lose some of the leaves
Don't disagree with that but it didn't seem to happen in previous years so that synopsis doesn't really answer why its happening this year...! :problem:
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:38 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
expressman33 wrote:I agree with Pabenny , plants and trees lose water through the leaves .Not enough water , solution is to lose some of the leaves
Don't disagree with that but it didn't seem to happen in previous years so that synopsis doesn't really answer why its happening this year...! :problem:
because this year has been exceptionally dry

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:57 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
because this year has been exceptionally dry

No, not in the London Area; no hose bans etc... :think:
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Unfortunately, trees aren't too handy with hoses...... :?

This year saw the driest June on record..... even in London.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:37 am

Boro Boy wrote:
expressman33 wrote: this year has been exceptionally dry
No, not in the London Area; no hose bans etc... :think:
Temperature and rainfall is measured with thermometers and rain gauges, not hosepipe bans.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 am

We must judge this year by 1977 apparently. And that year was awful but the drought did not start anywhere as early as it did this year.

The trees, especially the younger ones with less deep roots are suffering badly. The more leaves they have the more water they need. So if they are struggling to get enough water up then some leaves will have to be sacrificied.

You have to feel for farmers, so much rain earlier in the year they could not get on the land to plant Spring crops and then the drought.

And unless they are rich enough to have reservoirs they have to use local water courses (rivers down to ditches) to irrigage the land and that is strictly controlled. Lower water levels mean they can take less water.

And if they have lifestock the winter hay is having to be given to them now. I dread to think how people, not just farmers, who need feed like hay in the winter are going to get on.
Thanked by: expressman33, adamred6
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler