8TB Hard Drive

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
sanity clause

Re: 8TB Hard Drive

Post by sanity clause » Wed Jul 10 2019 11:03am

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Jun 21 2019 2:30pm
sanity clause wrote:
Fri Jun 21 2019 2:07pm
I don't trust cloud storage, myself.

I save my photos to a NAS in RAID1 configuration. 2x 3TB HDDs which are written to simultaneously.

One mirrors the other, so if one disk fails suddenly, the other is still good.
Cloud storage is probably more reliable than any hard drive.
Your home drive can still fail, be stolen, or burnt.
The cloud drive is protected from all of that.

My employer is gradually getting rid of all their locally-hosted IT and putting it all in the cloud for this reason.
For a company, it's probably more to do with cost.

What if the cloud storage company goes bust?

I backed up data to a cloud storage site many years ago, only for this to happen. Fortunately, I didn't lose any important data as a result.

Things have moved on, I know, but I just prefer to have control of my own data.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 10 2019 11:51am

timco wrote:
Tue Jul 09 2019 10:29pm
Constantine wrote:
Tue Jul 09 2019 8:24pm
xxxraichxxx wrote:
Thu Jun 20 2019 11:50am
I am looking to buy a 8TB hard drive to back up all my photos and videos off my phones & laptop as I am running out of space on everything!

I can remember, back in the 1980s, making the business case to buy some of these new-fangled IBM PCs, so us accountants could run Lotus 123. They had 20mb hard drives. It'll take you a long time to fill that up, said the IT director.

Crumbs, 8tb. :)
My first PC had 16 mb ram and 1gb hard drive now a days you can get 256gb on a card the size of my little finger nail.

When I bought my first SLR digital camera I bought a 156mb card to go with it cost me £500 and was the largest available at the time.

How times move on get bigger and cheaper.
Our first computer (after some years of happily using and Amstrad PCW) did not even have a hard drive. My first modem was 9 thingys but that was a business one, our first modem was 50 thingys. I was doing "in home" market research interviewing and one firm wanted us to use a laptop for some surveys. They supplied the laptop and modem. Took forever to send each days interviews back to the office. And I had to carry 14lbs on my shoulder but of course we did not get paid any more money.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Jul 10 2019 1:45pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jul 10 2019 11:51am
timco wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Tue Jul 09 2019 8:24pm

I can remember, back in the 1980s, making the business case to buy some of these new-fangled IBM PCs, so us accountants could run Lotus 123. They had 20mb hard drives. It'll take you a long time to fill that up, said the IT director.

Crumbs, 8tb. :)
My first PC had 16 mb ram and 1gb hard drive now a days you can get 256gb on a card the size of my little finger nail.

When I bought my first SLR digital camera I bought a 156mb card to go with it cost me £500 and was the largest available at the time.

Our first computer (after some years of happily using and Amstrad PCW) did not even have a hard drive. My first modem was 9 thingys but that was a business one, our first modem was 50 thingys. I was doing "in home" market research interviewing and one firm wanted us to use a laptop for some surveys. They supplied the laptop and modem. Took forever to send each days interviews back to the office. And I had to carry 14lbs on my shoulder but of course we did not get paid any more money.
The old tech was good for a robust workout.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jul 10 2019 2:29pm

timco wrote:

Lol.
1GB hard drives were a big deal. That was a huge milestone.
Most of us still thought 256mb was a big drive. Certainly bigger than the massive 16mb drive we actually had installed.