Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Chadwick » Fri Jul 05 2019 9:51am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Jul 05 2019 12:10am
Chadwick wrote:
Thu Jul 04 2019 8:00pm
Sarah wrote:
Thu Jul 04 2019 2:20pm
Perhaps they're aiming for new lows every day?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-slaves
Yes, this is astounding on so many levels. Obvious distasteful subject matter aside, she seems to have forgotten that EU regulations are passed through the EU Parliament (in which she sits and therefore gets to vote), the Commission (where our government cabinet members get to vote) and the Council (where our President gets to vote). She is therefore railing at ourselves as our own cruel taskmasters and perhaps should punch herself in the face in order to free herself.
...I'm laughing sooo much. But now back to reality! :wave:
#irony

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Jul 05 2019 10:22am

Sarah wrote:
Thu Jul 04 2019 5:43pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Thu Jul 04 2019 4:43pm
Perhaps I'm aiming for new highs every day?
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-bo ... tting-help
LOL. I like a girl with a good sense of humour.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jul 05 2019 11:18am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Jul 05 2019 6:21am
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Jul 05 2019 12:10am
...But now back to reality!
Like all the job losses as a result of Brexit?

Like the millions of public money spent on preparations for March no deal and now for an October no deal.

Like the millions that business has spent on preparations for March no deal and now for an October no deal.

Like the damage to the City that's already taken place (like it or not, it's our biggest industry sector, 650 times bigger than fishing)

etc
Look East (tv news prog) recently featured two firms who sell farm machinery. One has not stockpiled, the othe, bigger and foreign owned firm did and it is costing them eyewatering amounts of money in interest payments. And I mean eye watering amounts as you do not get many machines per £million
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jul 05 2019 11:49pm

There was an informative report on Newsnight last night, highlighting how the USA is looking to vastly increase the prices of drugs sold to the NHS as part of any trade deal that the UK might seek to negotiate with them; a policy advocated by Donald Trump. The estimated extra cost for the NHS could reach £428 million per week.

It starts 20 minutes into the programme - available on iPlayer for 28 days:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... t-04072019
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jul 06 2019 12:45am

How many £Millions I wonder is spent on benefits for the thousands still out of work in the NE Steel industry because we played by the EU rules and lost our 150 year old steel industry?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jul 06 2019 7:42am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 06 2019 12:45am
How many £Millions I wonder is spent on benefits for the thousands still out of work in the NE Steel industry because we played by the EU rules and lost our 150 year old steel industry?
We could not save it if we had been outside the EU but working under WTO rules according to what I have heard.

China dumping steel on the world market is to blame.

And how many £millions will be spent on benefits for those who lose their jobs or businesses due to Brexit and even more if we drop out without a deal?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Jul 07 2019 5:48pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jul 03 2019 7:06pm
kevinchess1 wrote:
Wed Jul 03 2019 4:06pm
All the posters complaining about the Brexit EMPs turning their back
How many of you stand and sing ‘God save the queen?’
If I'm at an event where it's being played, let's say a football match, then yes.
Like you ever been to a football match
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Jul 07 2019 6:07pm

Chadwick wrote:
Tue Jul 02 2019 2:49pm

Given that no deal would be the worst case scenario..
Based on what?
Your PHD in Economic politics? Gut feeling? Perhaps you own a crystal ball?
It doesn't matter what side of the arguement you are on you have to agree that 'Project Fear' was a disaster, Never mind 'Boris' Bus' was a single truth told by the Remain side? 'Stock markets to collapse? Stock prices are higher no that then. Mortgages to go up' Mortgages actually went down Massive unemployment!' Unemployment is now at record lows. A collection of BS, fear mongering and outright lies I even saw some desperate posting about how petrol prices had risen slightly. Talk about straw clutching. By the way they have gone back down around here.
They say that those who don t learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them. And they also say that to carry out the same experiment and expect a different result is idiotic
And yet here we are
I often put in my posts 'Just my opinion' to show posters that its my thoughts, not facts. Here something that is a fact and not conjecture, If we leave without a deal then no know what will happen.
Maybe it will be truly awful, maybe it wont, maye we will trundle on pretty much as we are now who know?
I suspect someone will post 'Quotes from experts' conveniently forgetting that Mark Carney back tracked on his comments about how bad things would be but let me remind you of some thoughts from when the world banks collapse about 10 years ago. At the time the blamed was laid squarely on the bankers who were labeled as 'Greedy crooks who should be strung up and/or imprisoned' They were 'lying crooks' who couldn't be trusted. Are these the 'experts' you are quoting now
Politically incorrect since 69

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Jul 08 2019 6:32am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 06 2019 12:45am
The demise of the UK steel industry has happened - whether or not that's attributable to membership of the EU.

Leaving the EU will not bring those jobs back.

Leaving the EU is resulting in many more jobs being lost in the UK.

Can anyone give any examples of businesses coming to the UK and jobs being created as result of Brexit?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jul 08 2019 7:46am

We are not out yet, what the hard right wing press etc like to call Project Fear could easily come true if we leave without a deal or with a bad deal.

And do not think we will get a good deal out of the Yanks. As Trump always says "America First" and he really means that and nothing about having a British Mother will change his mind on that one. He will screw us for everything and that includes a lot more NHS money going to line Trump's pockets.