Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
BeautifulSunshine

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Jan 15 2020 4:51pm

I'm hoping for the best...
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

parchedpeas

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by parchedpeas » Wed Jan 15 2020 5:07pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jan 15 2020 4:44pm
All the scaremongers seem to be moving their goal posts now... :wtf:
It's impossible to debate with people who ignore base reality. You've been on here for the last three years parroting lines given to you by Farage and his crew and every single time you've been sked to support them, you've disappeared or "moved the goalposts".

My goalposts have never moved: Brexit is a catastrophic mistake for Britain at exactly the wrong time in our history, it's been delivered on the backs of votes given by people who don't really know what they want and don't understand what they are losing.

Empty rhetoric about 'freedom' when we have surrendered our disproportionately large voice in a union of like minded nations to become a rule taker with our orders barked at us from the US, the EU and China.

The whole thing is mid-life crisis for the UK. A wave of childish English patriotism that has dominated the voices of Scotland and Northern Ireland, that has ignored the voices of the people who will actually be paying for it - the young, the working people, the tax payers - in favour of the more affluent baby-booming retirees who will pay none of the costs of Brexit financially, and won't be around long enough to apologise for the mess that they've left.

So no - my goalposts haven't moved. They won't move. The evidence of our massive downgrade as a nation is already there for everyone to see. But you won't find it if you're caught up with the bread and circus machine that makes you care about a clock going bong or abstract nonsensical phrases such as 'sovereignty' (now reduced) and 'freedom' (now restricted).
Thanked by: Sarah, pabenny, sanity clause

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 16 2020 9:06am

Time may prove the "Scaremongers" correct but I expect the lying bustards who pushed for Brexit and fooled many people with their twisted arguments and down right lies could be the ones to be proven wrong.

But real people will suffer if the "Scaremongers" are right. I can only hope and pray they and I end up with egg on our faces.

I am sorry that a ParchedPeas is having to make 3 valued members of staff redundant. I hope they find work quickly but whichever way a bad time for them and their families.
Thanked by: parchedpeas
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jan 16 2020 9:23am

parchedpeas wrote:
Wed Jan 15 2020 5:07pm
Boro Boy wrote:
It's impossible to debate with people who ignore base reality. You've been on here for the last three years parroting lines given to you by Farage and his crew and every single time you've been sked to support them, you've disappeared or "moved the goalposts".

My goalposts have never moved: Brexit is a catastrophic mistake for Britain at exactly the wrong time in our history, it's been delivered on the backs of votes given by people who don't really know what they want and don't understand what they are losing.
Who are these people who don't know what they voted for...!!! I think the remainers don't know what they voted for but I don't voice that and stuff it down peoples throats and say the world coming to an end when it so obviously is not!

You are right about one thing; "It's impossible to debate with people who ignore base reality..." and thats remainers! We haven't fallen off a cliff and now all the remainers will twist and turn and move the goal posts and say "Oh you misinterpreted what I meant...!" :wave:
Thanked by: stockportcounty

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 16 2020 10:24am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Jan 16 2020 9:23am

Who are these people who don't know what they voted for...!!! I think the remainers don't know what they voted for but I don't voice that and stuff it down peoples throats and say the world coming to an end when it so obviously is not!

You are right about one thing; "It's impossible to debate with people who ignore base reality..." and thats remainers! We haven't fallen off a cliff and now all the remainers will twist and turn and move the goal posts and say "Oh you misinterpreted what I meant...!" :wave:
We have NOT yet left the EU, we have NOT yet signed away our freedom for our political leaders to say and do what we want in the desperate need for a new trade treaty. We will become the poodle of the USA.

Don't believe me?

See how often Trump says "America first".

Note how he got angry with the EU and put on extra duty on a load of EU products. He did not have to include Scotch whisky but he DID.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 16 2020 10:26am

People who voted leave did so knowing their own minds. Sadly too many people had been fed so many lies and distortions over the years they could not see the both arguments clearly and then decide.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Jan 16 2020 1:34pm

Boro Boy wrote:
No. I've said all along it was an own goal (if we're going with that analogy), and now we've 'scored' anyway because some people didn't believe putting the ball in your own net was different to doing it at the other end of the field.

But that's not what this thread is about.

One of the criticisms of our EU membership was that it cost so much money (between 1-2% of total government spending every year).
So, instead of that unbearable cost, we have blown even more money to avoid spending that tiny amount each year.

'Spaffing it up the wall' is the phrase I think I'm looking for.
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Jan 16 2020 2:50pm

From Fullfact July 2019 https://fullfact.org/online/viral-brexi ... ost-wrong/
Two Facebook posts, which have been shared over 8,000 times between them, favourably compare the cost of EU membership with a number of other costs associated with Brexit.

The graphic pretty much correctly reports the cost of EU membership, but most of the calculations about the costs of Brexit are wrong or misleading.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jan 16 2020 9:24pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jan 15 2020 2:30pm
expressman33 wrote:
Wed Jan 15 2020 1:19pm
Its done now so people need to accept the result and get over it as they should've when it was voted for. We've lost more money with the uncertainty and still didn't get as bad as predicted.
a) It's not done. It's barely started.

b) As for people not accepting the result, presumably you mean people like Boris Johnson, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Grant Shapps and Theresa Villiers. They all voted against Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement. This, as you will recall, prolonged the process and ultimately brought the government down.

c) "It's not as bad as predicted" is not justification for anything.
I'll keep mine exactly where they have been since day one - the UK will end up paying more for less.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jan 16 2020 11:27pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jan 16 2020 10:26am
People who voted leave did so knowing their own minds. Sadly too many people had been fed so many lies and distortions over the years they could not see the both arguments clearly and then decide.
The electorate always get it right and as a democrat you should realise objecting to this after the event undermines democracy! :think: