The Census

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: The Census

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 27 2021 9:37am

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Mar 26 2021 7:22pm
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Mar 26 2021 8:42am
And if asked by someone from abroad my automatic answer is Great Britain, not UK or England
Most English people don't know the difference anyway. Generally, only those who live outside England but in the UK/GB tend to recognise the difference.
How many of us Brits know the difference between Great Britain, United Kingdom and The British Isles?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Mar 28 2021 4:00pm

For the first time ever i put 'None' in the Religion section.
Normally put CoE but I don't feel I can anymore, wasn't going to church before lockdown and have always struggled with the concept of a 'Supreme being'
Glad Memum isn't alive to witness this.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

planteria

Post by planteria » Sun Mar 28 2021 5:49pm

English.
blythburgh wrote:
Wed Mar 24 2021 9:09am
And before you ask I am half Cornish so could only say British not English.
the Cornish are English.. along with Yorkshiremen, Brummies, Mancunians, Scousers, Cockneys, Devonians and the fine folk of The Black Country.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Mar 29 2021 12:00am

planteria wrote:
Sun Mar 28 2021 5:49pm
English.
blythburgh wrote:
the Cornish are English.. along with Yorkshiremen, Brummies, Mancunians, Scousers, Cockneys, Devonians and the fine folk of The Black Country.
Only if they identify as such..... Like the Bretons in France or the Galegos in Spain, where there is a continuing lingistic or cultural difference to the "greater" state, people may still consider themselves as "other". Identity cannot be imposed.... although some people have historically had a problem recognising that :shifty:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Mar 29 2021 9:02am

planteria wrote:
English.
blythburgh wrote:
A true Cornish Jack or Jill will always say they are British
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Mar 29 2021 9:08am

macliam wrote:
Mon Mar 29 2021 12:00am
planteria wrote:
English.
blythburgh wrote:
Only if they identify as such..... Like the Bretons in France or the Galegos in Spain, where there is a continuing lingistic or cultural difference to the "greater" state, people may still consider themselves as "other". Identity cannot be imposed.... although some people have historically had a problem recognising that :shifty:
Very true. I heard the name of a town on the news and my brain immediately added Cheshire before the news reader added Great Manchester etc.

But do the people think of them selves as coming from Cheshire? I bet they do. In 1974 there was a major re-organisation of the County lines and part of Suffolk was moved into Norfolk. A few months ago I read that older people in those villages still think of themselves as being Suffolk people.

oldboy

Post by oldboy » Mon Mar 29 2021 10:15pm

I can answer the question of the "occupied" areas of Cheshire. Put simply its confused by the age of the individual, the part of the area your from, and the reason that you say your from, Cheshire, Trafford, Tameside or Greater Manchester.

Then when you mix in the now Cheshire west and Chester, and East Cheshire split, those in Cheshire get confused. Some of the poor so ''n' so's in the "occupied" territories can't figure out there arm bendy bits from the bits they sit on.