Smart Meters

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
expressman33

Smart Meters

Post by expressman33 » Thu May 27 2021 8:02am

Copied from a local facebook group by someone that moved to Spain from my local area
So while the UK Government are encouraging or practically threatening people to get a smart meter here in Spain the smart meter is in every house, now we are starting to see why Governments and suppliers want them in every house.
Today we have now had new tariffs imposed on us in the Valencia region, the smart technology is allowing the companies to charge you more for when you need to use the power most, once all the UK convert to smart meters you will be charged the same, here is a small extract translated from Spanish of our new smart charges.
"With the new rate, these tolls and costs will have a different price depending on the time slot. The highest will be in the peak period - from 10 am to 2 pm and from 6 pm to 10 pm, during the week; there will be another flat period with an intermediate cost - from 8 to 10; from 14 to 18 and from 22 to 24 hours-; and a valley one, where it will be cheaper, between midnight and eight in the morning and all weekend."
So it seems we will have to go to bed through the day when the power is dearer and get up through the night when the power is cheaper.
Don't get a smart meter, it is just a way of charging you more because your supplier will just charge you more when you use your power and less when you don't.

Richard Frost

Re: Smart Meters

Post by Richard Frost » Thu May 27 2021 8:16am

expressman33 wrote:
Thu May 27 2021 8:02am
Copied from a local facebook group by someone that moved to Spain from my local area
So while the UK Government are encouraging or practically threatening people to get a smart meter here in Spain the smart meter is in every house, now we are starting to see why Governments and suppliers want them in every house.
Today we have now had new tariffs imposed on us in the Valencia region, the smart technology is allowing the companies to charge you more for when you need to use the power most, once all the UK convert to smart meters you will be charged the same, here is a small extract translated from Spanish of our new smart charges.
"With the new rate, these tolls and costs will have a different price depending on the time slot. The highest will be in the peak period - from 10 am to 2 pm and from 6 pm to 10 pm, during the week; there will be another flat period with an intermediate cost - from 8 to 10; from 14 to 18 and from 22 to 24 hours-; and a valley one, where it will be cheaper, between midnight and eight in the morning and all weekend."
So it seems we will have to go to bed through the day when the power is dearer and get up through the night when the power is cheaper.
Don't get a smart meter, it is just a way of charging you more because your supplier will just charge you more when you use your power and less when you don't.
This was always the idea for the UK. One of the original idea was for operators to be able to charge competitive rates and be in competition with each other. The idea also to encourage people to use their electricity in the cheaper off peak periods. A bit like the tariff that was in place when storage heaters were widespread.

I have never had a smart meter and will not until forced to. IMO the publicity surrounding the role out is false and misleading. The last thing these will do is save you money. They are very much designed to benefit the Utility company.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu May 27 2021 8:28am

Economy 7 is still around. I never had a storage heater but often used to tumble dry overnight when it was cheaper; not messing about like that anymore though, life's simply too short.
Thanked by: Richard Frost

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Thu May 27 2021 8:36am

Sarah wrote:
Thu May 27 2021 8:28am
Economy 7 is still around. I never had a storage heater but often used to tumble dry overnight when it was cheaper; not messing about like that anymore though, life's simply too short.
I used to do my drying and washing overnight as well but as you say not any more.

planteria

Post by planteria » Thu May 27 2021 9:56am

i'm not so negative re these meters. we don't have them, but i'm aware of them and will do if the circumstances suit. the way to look at it is to have better value during off peak times, just like train journeys. we are seeing inflation in many sectors, and we may start to see it accelerate. managing cashflow and, where possible, investing in assets that hedge against significant inflation are important, and set to become increasingly so.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 27 2021 10:18am

I am not on economy 7 but often put the washing machine on before going to bed and putting the washing on the line to dry next day. Cheaper than tumbling and smells far nicer when it has been outside
Thanked by: emsky
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria

Post by planteria » Thu May 27 2021 10:43am

in Birmingham if we hang the washing out we have to wash it again ;)

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu May 27 2021 1:13pm

Frankly, I don't see what they are doing in Spain is really relevant to the Smart Meter debate.
We have a price cap but even if we didn't there's nothing to stop the government adding a special Energy Tax like they do with petrol.
Not/having a SM makes no difference.
Having an SM will not make your bills any cheaper but people tend to look at them and run around switching stuff off to save money. You can do that with/out a SM. and, no, I don't have one and have np plans to get one anytime soon
Politically incorrect since 69

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu May 27 2021 1:36pm

Most of the best fixed rate tariffs now come with the proviso that you have a smart meter fitted .

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu May 27 2021 1:53pm

Um. That's what happens now on Economy 7.

No, not in the slightest. You can go to bed whenever you like.
Thanked by: blythburgh