Ethical / family dilemma

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pieman

Ethical / family dilemma

Post by pieman » Mon Jun 07 2021 11:00am

Hi,

Just wondering what people think is the answer to this dilemma.

A close relative (lets call her MILlie!) is currently on holiday in Greece (on the Amber List)

When they return on Friday, they want me to go round and charge their car battery as it has not been used for a month and is flat.

According to the current regs - they should be self isolating for 10 days after their return.

I know that if I go and charge their battery, they will be using it and not be self isolating, but if i don't go round it will cause lots of family arguments and they will just buy a new battery anyway.

So, should I go round - which I don't feel comfortable doing, knowing they may not self isolate.

or leave it and knowing will just buy a new battery anyway?
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost

Re: Ethical / family dilemma

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Jun 07 2021 11:26am

pieman wrote:
Mon Jun 07 2021 11:00am
Hi,

Just wondering what people think is the answer to this dilemma.

A close relative (lets call her MILlie!) is currently on holiday in Greece (on the Amber List)

When they return on Friday, they want me to go round and charge their car battery as it has not been used for a month and is flat.

According to the current regs - they should be self isolating for 10 days after their return.

I know that if I go and charge their battery, they will be using it and not be self isolating, but if i don't go round it will cause lots of family arguments and they will just buy a new battery anyway.

So, should I go round - which I don't feel comfortable doing, knowing they may not self isolate.

or leave it and knowing will just buy a new battery anyway?
Not sure i know the answer (only you can decide that)

I can only say what I would do. In theory if you do help them you could be held to account as you would be aiding and abetting them in their attempt to avoid the quarantine regulations. I would do what I consider to be right and stay true to my conscience (even if it risked an argument). The government do check up on those who are supposed to be in quarantine. The fine is a risk your relatives will have to take if they decide to break the rules. I do not know what percentage of people are followed up on.
UK Border Force will check that travellers fill out a Public Health Passenger Locator form with their contact details, location address and travel plans. You may be refused permission to enter the UK (if you are not a British citizen), or fined £100 in England, £60 elsewhere, if you do not provide your contact details or do not self-isolate when you arrive in the UK. Public health authorities and/or the police have the power to make surprise visits to check that travellers are following the quarantine rules. A breach of self-isolation would be punishable by a £1,000 fixed penalty notice (£480 in Scotland) or prosecution and an unlimited fine for persistent offenders.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -to-the-uk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... l-holiday/
https://travel.stackexchange.com/questi ... 826#157826
Thanked by: pieman, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Jun 07 2021 11:45am

Perhaps you can use your powers of persuasion to encourage them to self-isolate as required?
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Jun 07 2021 1:21pm

Do they realise that they should be self-isolating?

You could suggest that it might be better if you waited another 10 days before charging the battery as it'll only go flat again during the time they're self-isolating.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jun 08 2021 9:42am

pabenny wrote:
Mon Jun 07 2021 1:21pm
Do they realise that they should be self-isolating?

You could suggest that it might be better if you waited another 10 days before charging the battery as it'll only go flat again during the time they're self-isolating.
That is an excellent suggestion
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jun 08 2021 11:12am

Might be worth a try, although if the battery would go flat within 10 days, it's pretty much ready for replacement anyway.

pieman

Post by pieman » Tue Jun 08 2021 3:19pm

Thanks for all the good points -

I hadn't thought they may not realise they should be self isolating!

I will make sure they know.