More plastic can be easily recycled

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

More plastic can be easily recycled

Post by pabenny » Thu Aug 05 2021 11:03am

Sainsburys now have recycling points at 500 stores for collection of almost any kind of flexible plastic - including most food wraps, crisp packets, plastic bags, etc.

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/sust ... e-plastics

I believe Co-op are doing something similar. Not heard anything about other supermarkets are also doing this.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Re: More plastic can be easily recycled

Post by macliam » Thu Aug 05 2021 2:47pm

Yeah, yeah - out of sight, out of mind.

Many plastic products cannot be recycled or are uneconomic to recycle....... guess what happens then?

Straight to landfill - or worse, exported half-way around the world for landfill!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Aug 06 2021 7:30am

What a cynic. Presumably if supermarkets are providing collection points, the plastic collected can (mostly) be recycled.

And it's actually illegal to export waste from UK unless it's for recycling.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Aug 06 2021 8:22am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Aug 06 2021 7:30am
What a cynic. Presumably if supermarkets are providing collection points, the plastic collected can (mostly) be recycled.

Illegal? Yes

Recyled? Not always, seen too often reports or films of our plastic bags etc dumped by recycling companies abroad. Many of these companies complain about what they are getting as very often a pack of recyclable plastic will contain many other contaminating stuff including babies used nappies.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Aug 06 2021 8:24am

pabenny wrote:
Thu Aug 05 2021 11:03am
Sainsburys now have recycling points at 500 stores for collection of almost any kind of flexible plastic - including most food wraps, crisp packets, plastic bags, etc.

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/sust ... e-plastics

I believe Co-op are doing something similar. Not heard anything about other supermarkets are also doing this.
Yes, the Co-op do this and Tesco have been doing it for yonks. Think Morrisons are as well but not idea where I am supposed to put the stuff in. At least Tesco have the unit beside the exit
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Aug 06 2021 8:26am

macliam wrote:
Thu Aug 05 2021 2:47pm
Yeah, yeah - out of sight, out of mind.

Many plastic products cannot be recycled or are uneconomic to recycle....... guess what happens then?

Straight to landfill - or worse, exported half-way around the world for landfill!
I am so concerned about what happens to my soft plastic it goes into the black bin and like your Suffolk waste, mo chara, it is then incinerated.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Aug 06 2021 9:47am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Aug 06 2021 7:30am

Most plastic packaging and cling film cannot be recycled. Thermoset plastic cannot be recycled. Mixed plastics and plastic- coated card, etc. are uneconomic to recycle.

Maybe check the facts before jumping up and down Supermarkets are just collecting plastics to offset criticism of excessive packaging. That doesn't give them a magic wand to achieve something nobody else can do ...

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Aug 06 2021 11:41am

macliam wrote:
Fri Aug 06 2021 9:47am
Most plastic packaging and cling film cannot be recycled....
Except they seem to be saying it can - Sainsbury are collecting flexible plastic waste as part of this initiative:

https://flexibleplasticfund.org.uk/list ... -packaging

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Aug 06 2021 12:12pm

I think I would believe the actual recyclers over those saying what they'll accept for collection....
SL Recyclers wrote:The difference in the recyclability of plastic types can be down to how they are made; thermoset plastics contain polymers that form irreversible chemical bonds and cannot be recycled, whereas thermoplastics can be re-melted and re-molded. Examples of non-recyclable plastics include bioplastics, composite plastic, plastic-coated wrapping paper and polycarbonate. Well known non-recyclable plastics include cling film and blister packaging.
https://www.slrecyclingltd.co.uk/what-p ... -recycled/

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Aug 06 2021 1:03pm

SL recyclers collect and sort waste. They do not do the actual reprocessing of material.

The flexible plastic fund is a food and grocery industry initiative to make recycling of flexible plastics viable. Their website is clear that fleixble plastics can be reprocessed. So unless you think that Mars, Mondelez, etc who have put their name (and cash) to this are lying...
Thanked by: blythburgh, MP3746