End of landline telephone?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: End of landline telephone?

Post by Chadwick » Wed Aug 18 2021 11:38am

It's not the end of the landline.

What's happening is that you will need to get a magic box which plugs into the wall. You then connect your phone to that, either wirelessly, or by a cable.

You might also need to get a new phone handset.

If you've already got a broadband router for the internet, it will possibly work as a magic box for the phone. If not, you could either get a separate magic box for the phone, or replace your broadband router with one that does do phone magic too.

Yes, this will be a nuisance for those who aren't familiar or comfortable with new technology. In the same way that it is a nuisance working out which lightbulb to buy, or how to watch just the normal 4 TV channels, or when to use a PIN number to pay for something. It's just another change, and tomorrow something else will change, as has happened throughout our lives.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Aug 19 2021 10:27am

Bring back the internet connection I first had. Work thingy meant I had to use the internet to send stuff. Cannot remember what it was called but it was 9 of them. Thought it was great when we went on internet and had 50 of them via dial up.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Aug 19 2021 2:16pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Aug 18 2021 11:38am
It's not the end of the landline.

What's happening is that you will need to get a magic box which plugs into the wall. You then connect your phone to that, either wirelessly, or by a cable.
So if your broadband goes down does this mean you can't use the phone ?

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Aug 19 2021 8:36pm

expressman33 wrote:
Thu Aug 19 2021 2:16pm
Depends where the failure is.
If it's in the cable that comes into your house, then you'd lose phone as well as broadband. Same as today.
If your router packs up, then likewise I expect you'd lose both phone and broadband.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Aug 20 2021 11:45am

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Aug 19 2021 8:36pm
expressman33 wrote:
Thu Aug 19 2021 2:16pm
Depends where the failure is.
If it's in the cable that comes into your house, then you'd lose phone as well as broadband. Same as today.
If your router packs up, then likewise I expect you'd lose both phone and broadband.
Unfortunately, broadband is a service... and it is posible for the service to fail whilst the carrier and all local equipment is OK. So, if your broadband service fails, VoIP calls will consequently fail, IF the VoIP is carried over that service.

The quality and reliability of voice traffic was one of the issues faced by BT in its 21CN network replacement - quality improved dramatically (as we have all seen of late), but the reliabilty could never achieve the "five nines" required as a PSTN replacement (99.999% availability). No doubt things have evolved in the last decade or more.

However, anyone offering a voice service should be constrained by the same license conditions as BT, to ensure continuous access to emergency services, etc. The likelihood is that some hybrid with the mobile network will minimise disruption..... and a "basic" offering will have to be made available for those who do not want personal broadband or mobile access... this will be for OFCOM to specify.

I'm sure all of this is exercising the comms techs - and that OFCOM will be keeping a close eye on the offered services. Ideally, a proven solution will be identified, offered and taken up by the majority of affected stakeolders before the existing service is terminated. If not, there may be a few issues along the way..... :shifty:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me