Deportation to Rwanda

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Deportation to Rwanda

Post by macliam » Tue Apr 26 2022 1:36pm

I decided to break the away from previous comments in other threads because it represents another decision being taken "on our behalf" that we have not authorised....

Specifically, I noted on another forum that someone objected to the term "processed" to discuss what will happen to migrants sent to Rwanda according to current government plans. However, it became clear that it is not only the mechanistic term being used that is an issue, but the whole concept - so I think it right to repeat it here.

The term "processing" is also a carefully prepared lie. This scheme is being described as such for two reasons, both despicable...

Firstly, it makes people think that the "processing" is for acceptance as a refugee to the UK - which it is NOT. It is very clear that anyone being sent to Rwanda is being DEPORTED from the UK and will be processed for Asylum to Rwanda, i.e. for the right to stay in Rwanda, not for any right to enter or remain in the UK.

Secondly, it is being used to conflate this deportation scheme with earlier discussions of offshore processing, which were considered as a way to avoid the legal difficulties of deporting those whose claim for asylum is denied by the Home Office. This would have meant holding people offshore, not within the UK, whilst investigating their claim for Asylum, but then assigning refugee status to the UK, once their claim is accepted.

The difference between these two ideas is vast - particularly taken against the high proportion of such claimants to whom Asylum is actually granted under the current rules. However, it allows the pocket fascist to make claims (as she has already done in parliament) that she is building on David Blunkett's earlier proposal under the Labour government (which was for the latter), when in fact she is subverting this to put in place an unethical process amounting to immediate deportation.

Lies from this government? Surely not!!
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Re: Deportation to Rwanda

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 28 2022 2:13pm

Someone suggested that this policy was being introcduced to damage the business case for the traffickers. However, nobody seems to recognize that the traffickers exist due to UK government rules! Patel reacted to protests at her jackboot tactics by saying "nobody has a better idea" - well that's just another lie!

The UK has used a requirement to be on UK soil in order to claim asylum as a tacit way to suppress refugee applications. As of now, refugees can only claim asylum in the UK once here, or from a few, carefully selected and temporary schemes abroad, eg, Afghanistan and Ukraine. Therefore a better way to damage the business case of people smugglers would be to allow refugee applications outside the UK - maybe, sharp intake of breath, In Calais!! At least then a high proportion of those who genuinely feel they have a claim to asylum would not be forced into the hands of criminals as their only way to apply in the UK..... but, of course, that would be a chink in the "hostile environment".

Far better to double-up on the hostility, especially when it plays better to xenophobes.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Apr 28 2022 4:13pm

(Private Eye)
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Apr 28 2022 6:22pm

I've never quite understood how the traffickers will be affected by what happens to the refugees when they land in the UK. Their business model is based on getting people on boats. After that they have no interest in whether they even complete the crossing.

Does Priti Patel genuinely believe that the threat of Rwanda will be sufficient to deter asylum seekers from trying to get to the UK? These are people desperate enough to believe what the traffickers tell them about safety and chances of success. All the traffickers have to do is tell them they won't be sent to Rwanda. Or perhaps that they can assure the refugees of a non-Rwandan outcome for just a small additional payment....

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Apr 29 2022 1:00pm

Reading between the lines, I fully expect this policy to be just another vote-winner xenophobe-attractive headline, like the aborted turning back of boats in the channel. There is already the assertion that "illegal" refugees would be screened before deportation, so I would imagine that the actual numbers to be processed is no higher than the number of those awaiting deportation after a failed asylum claim..... in which case, this policy will do nothing to stop the cross-channel trade, but just allow the UK to export the problem migrants it has, those who cannot be deported to their home nations.

Looked through that optic, many of the unanswered questions and the lack of costings are explained - as the eventual number will be quite small.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 02 2022 8:19am

I cannot believe we want to send people to a country where genocide happened not many years ago and still has many human rights problems. I must have been dreaming not even this Govt, and the odious Patel could do that
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon May 02 2022 10:21am

It's spin, bubble and a deniable shift to the right again. But, of course, your ability to protest against such policies is being eroded at the same time..... be careful, you might find your citizenship revoked.

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Jun 15 2022 9:05pm

So, let's not say "I told you so"..... because this all seems to be teeing up for a fight with the ECHR.
Of course, it's all perfectly "legal"

rayf

Post by rayf » Thu Jun 16 2022 12:07am

well - just to be controversial - I am in favour of the idea. I don't see any other realisic option unless France and the rest of the EU play their part.

Strangely, I think before we left the EU, it would have made sense for these so-called refugees to claim asylum in France or anywhere else in Europe. Once accepted, they would then have been free to travel all over the EU, including the UK. But not since brexit.

Currently I think the main problem is that they are coming from France - they are no longer refugees in danger. So asylum doesn't really apply.

I'm waiting for the backlash :)
Thanked by: annfen, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Jun 16 2022 2:26am

So you're saying this "just to be controversial" or do you genuinely support attempts to deport individuals from the UK to a country with a highly questionable human rights record, under a policy for which not a single case could be determined to be lawful and without real risk of inhuman and degrading treatment?

Are you even aware that it's a reciprocal arrangement? The planes would bring back a similar number of Rwanda’s most vulnerable refugees to be settled in the UK.

Yvette Cooper tells it how it is:
https://youtu.be/yGdzLyXHhpw

"From the government that achieves next to nothing, it’s the Rwanda flight to nowhere"
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw