Sell
54%

Total votes: 13

Boro Boy

Re: Warehouse REIT - share monitoring

Post by Boro Boy » Wed May 20 2020 11:34am

Beachboy wrote:
Tue May 19 2020 2:58pm
I would be happy to cash in the albeit relatively small profit now.
A REIT is a structured property based investment vehicle, albeit a commercial property in this instance and as such this fund is built to provide regular income in this fund; although capital gains (and loss) are possible the divided income (in this case from rentals) is primary. This is the sort of investment that would be held long term in a portfolio as a core investment and cash flow provider rather than be sold the moment a bit of capital gain has been made...
Last edited by Boro Boy on Wed May 20 2020 11:41am, edited 2 times in total.

garindan

Post by garindan » Wed May 20 2020 11:38am

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 11:34am
Beachboy wrote:
A REIT is a structured property based investment vehicle, albeit a commercial property in this instance and as such is built to provide regular income although capital gains (and loss) is possible the divided income (in this case from rentals) is primary. This is the sort of investment that would be held long term in a portfolio as a core investment and cash flow provider rather than be sold the moment a bit of capital gain has been made...
This is exactly why we should be selling it.
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed May 20 2020 11:46am

garindan wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 11:38am
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 11:34am
Beachboy wrote:
A REIT is a structured property based investment vehicle, albeit a commercial property in this instance and as such is built to provide regular income although capital gains (and loss) is possible the divided income (in this case from rentals) is primary. This is the sort of investment that would be held long term in a portfolio as a core investment and cash flow provider rather than be sold the moment a bit of capital gain has been made...
This is exactly why we should be selling it.
Confused...!?! Why wouldn't you want part of your portfolio to be based on providing (almost) guaranteed regular income with the (smaller) ability for capital gain whilst you go off hunting for the more speculative (and possibly larger) capital gains (and potentially losses) elsewhere...?

garindan

Post by garindan » Wed May 20 2020 11:50am

Because that is boring and how we used to invest, which turned many members off the whole concept of the club. We shouldn't really have wasted our time buying this one as it didn't fit our new goal.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed May 20 2020 12:14pm

garindan wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 11:50am
Because that is boring and how we used to invest, which turned many members off the whole concept of the club. We shouldn't really have wasted our time buying this one as it didn't fit our new goal.
So be clear, what is you're goal? Put everything on the 2:30pm at Doncaster?

Surely a more structured approach would be more sensible and still be possible to access returns (and still be exciting) !!!

Having this investment in your portfolio allows you to be more speculative elsewhere whilst retaining an element of (almost) stability at the heart of your investments...

garindan

Post by garindan » Wed May 20 2020 12:42pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 12:14pm
garindan wrote:

Surely a more structured approach would be more sensible and still be possible to access returns (and still be exciting) !!!

Having this investment in your portfolio allows you to be more speculative elsewhere whilst retaining an element of (almost) stability at the heart of your investments...
We had a structured approach from the beginning but there was little spice and low levels of interest. We decided to change this approach and only look at shares that offered a good share price return, not income generation.

As this is a share club, we are all here to learn and all the money is "free" from cashback we can look to be a lot less conservative than we were before and really try and make some money via more risky investments. More risky investments doesn't mean being stupid and putting money on horses. We can still be careful and thoughtful in investing, just in those shares that are less well known than the FTSE 100 etc...

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed May 20 2020 1:23pm

garindan wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 12:42pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 12:14pm
garindan wrote:

We had a structured approach from the beginning but there was little spice and low levels of interest. We decided to change this approach and only look at shares that offered a good share price return, not income generation.

As this is a share club, we are all here to learn and all the money is "free" from cashback we can look to be a lot less conservative than we were before and really try and make some money via more risky investments. More risky investments doesn't mean being stupid and putting money on horses. We can still be careful and thoughtful in investing, just in those shares that are less well known than the FTSE 100 etc...
Mmmm interesting approach but it seems 62% of the voting membership don't seem to agree with that approach in this instance...?

garindan

Post by garindan » Wed May 20 2020 1:34pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 1:23pm
Mmmm interesting approach but it seems 62% of the voting membership don't seem to agree with that approach in this instance...?
No you have obviously read that wrong and presented a figure that represents something else to support your disruptive point. 62% currently wish to hold the share now we have bought it, not 62% disagree with the approach I outlined we had already agreed upon last year.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed May 20 2020 1:42pm

garindan wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 1:34pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed May 20 2020 1:23pm
No you have obviously read that wrong and presented a figure that represents something else to support your disruptive point. 62% currently wish to hold the share now we have bought it, not 62% disagree with the approach I outlined we had already agreed upon last year.
I have never wished to be disruptive (and I'm disappointed you see it that way) I have a great deal of investment experience and actually thought I was being helpful (believe it or not) and stimulating debate for you and your members; but a put down from you on that scale hardly encourages debate.

As regards your vote, I am clearly aware it was from last year but I was unaware (until now) that your members have had a major change of heart in the interim - but I know now. :eh:

garindan

Post by garindan » Wed May 20 2020 2:19pm

Boro Boy wrote:
I have never wished to be disruptive (and I'm disappointed you see it that way) I have a great deal of investment experience and actually thought I was being helpful (believe it or not) and stimulating debate for you and your members; but a put down from you on that scale hardly encourages debate.
If that is truly the case then I would very strongly suggest you review the manner of your various responses on this thread, and more widely on imutual for that matter, to understand why myself and others take exception to some of your posts. It might help you then actually get across the body of what you want to say and have a positive affect without it reading like you want to cause trouble. The use of the stats, trailing fullstops, emoji and other factors in this thread point to the latter and not that you want to help everyone. I very much doubt you talk to people like this in real life. It's entirely up to you to consider but this would be my advice. I haven't just written that to encourage you to respond and call me a whatever for being indignant or rude - it's hopefully useful.
Boro Boy wrote:
As regards your vote, I am clearly aware it was from last year but I was unaware (until now) that your members have had a major change of heart in the interim - but I know now.
The vote in this thread is ongoing and has nothing to do with anything other than whether we hold, buy or sell this share. The change of approach is something that was raised, discussed and then acted upon at the beginning of last year in a completely different thread independent to any actual purchases. Like I said, we probably shouldn't have bought this particular share in hindsight as it doesn't offer the qualities we are now seeking. Advice like you gave about REITs would have been most welcome at the time and is why we would like more experienced investors to contribute.
Thanked by: Sarah, Beachboy