A black & white world or a grey world? Arsenal fans beware...

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
Boro Boy

A black & white world or a grey world? Arsenal fans beware...

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Mar 31 2017 12:16am

I heard an interesting footballing discussion on the radio the other day; if you are not a listener of TalkSport try and track it down as it is available on the internet or DAB as well. The conversation went something like this: We all know that the world and his Granny is starting to question why Wenger is still Arsenal manager, apart from the most ardent Arsenal fan that is but even they are starting to waver… Myself as a Boro fan I would love to have Arsenals problems and believe Arsene Wenger has a remarkable record but is there more to come?

The argument continued and finally got to the point – perhaps there is a movement of none achievement? What on earth does that mean?

Well, I am still reeling from the sacking of Aitor Karanka, a manager who wanted to win, who wanted to succeed in charge of a team who had players in it who just wanted the wages and didn’t want to work hard. Lets face it he was stabbed in the back and player power succeeded to remove the manager; its easier to sack the manager than sack the team and I’m disappointed that the directors didn’t make a stand rather than just say we stand by the manager and then weeks later show him the door. Player power would not be so bad if it removed a bad manager but it usually just removes a manager they don’t like, either because he makes them work too hard or doesn’t put them in the position they want or they just don’t get on; from Brian Cloughs short stay at Leeds United (a little history for those who can remember) onwards player power removes managers for the wrong reasons and football directors just think of the pounds in their pocket and short-termism.

Returning to Mr Wenger and the radio programme; but what happened where the manager does everything the players want, the directors want but not what the supporters want? Perhaps the comments of their striker Sanchez say it all, he is supposed to have said that he “…wants to play with a team with ambitions to win” and is likely to leave Arsenal in the summer. So what is happening at Arsenal? Does mediocracy rule? Is Arsene managing to just get by, not pushing the players to win but just enough to get bye, not upsetting the average player (lets face it Sanchez is far from an average player). Why try hard when the wages are so high, the directors cigars are so fat and the players garages are so full of Ferrari’s. Arsenal could afford to buy top players but don’t spend the bank role. Their recent record has hidden behind the excuse of building the new stadium but that excuse is wearing thin as it was opened 11 years ago… So if player power leads to mediocracy can Fan Power remove Arsene Wenger? In short No. The directors will listen to the players but not the fans. The one benefit I see of football being taken over by the finances of the TV stations is that they may listen to the fans more than the directors – time will tell.

I count myself as a straight forward black & white decision type of person but where are all the leaders like that? Are they just wadding through the treacle of mediocracy and giving in to this grey decision world?
Thanked by: blythburgh

kevinchess1

Re: A black & white world or a grey world? Arsenal fans beware...

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Apr 16 2017 6:19pm

I'm a 'Long suffering Gooner'
Except I'm not? suffering that is
Ive been a fan since before they won their first double, last century
IMO Arsene is the best manager we have had and the 2nd best manager of an Englich club ever!
Fans will say 'We haven't won the league in 10 years'
Fact, most teams haven't won the PL either
There's 14 teams in the PL who would swap places with us in a heartbeat
And there's 18 teams who would swap the last 20 years with us as well
I suspect Arsene will levae at the end of this sesason
But I worry that we will do a MAN-U and slipped down the table and swao managers evey 6 months
I suspect if/when that happens some of the'Arsesne out' supporters will regret their words
We will see
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Apr 17 2017 1:16am

I have great respect for Arsene and I do not think that the players should structure his sacking by underperforming.

Having said that any disturbance in the Arsenal team later today can only be to the advantage of Middlesbrough FC...

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Apr 17 2017 1:46pm

Fingers and toes crossed - not long to go now...

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Apr 17 2017 11:44pm

Well a win helps
but still looking tricky
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Apr 17 2017 11:48pm

kevinchess1 wrote:Well a win helps
but still looking tricky

...tell me about it...!!! :think:
Thanked by: Denant

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Apr 22 2017 1:12am

Any win would be appreciated...!!!