New season

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
blythburgh

Re: New season

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 06 2019 9:43am

I am sorry, but though I normally hope for wins for the teams I know members here support this time I want others to win.

I wanted Cardiff to be relegated because if not Southampton (a Hampshire team so one I have to cheer on) and Brighton (both Brighton and Hove have many childhood memories for me) would have gone down if it had not been Cardiff.

I cannot cheer for Sunderland making it in the play offs as Portsmouth are also in the mix. (Another Hampshire town which, like Southampton, I lived not far from for a couple of years.

And 'im indoors thinks Aston Villa should be the third team that is Premiership bound though he would prefer a weaker team to be promoted to help Norwich stay up.

All I know for certain for every promoted club at every level, it is not going to be easy to stay up next season. Good luck to them all
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 06 2019 5:13pm

Speaking from the position of best of the rest it seems that Aston Villa are looking like favourites for winning the play-offs...! Time will tell.

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Mon May 06 2019 8:35pm

I am still on cloud nine lol but good luck to all the teams in all the play offs. But especially good luck to Aston VIlla who deserve to go up with us judging on the way they played against us.

But what on earth has happened to Leeds? Can they pull their game round and get into the Premiership as seemed so likely earlier in the year?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 07 2019 1:43am

pakefield wrote:
Mon May 06 2019 8:35pm
I am still on cloud nine lol but good luck to all the teams in all the play offs. But especially good luck to Aston VIlla who deserve to go up with us judging on the way they played against us.

But what on earth has happened to Leeds? Can they pull their game round and get into the Premiership as seemed so likely earlier in the year?
Ask Wigan...
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun May 26 2019 11:52pm

I see Sunderland got a hiding and didn't do much better than Labour & Conservatives did today! All three goals scored today at the play-offs in Wembley were scored by Charlton (one was an own-goal) but at least the black cats lasted until the 94th minute...!!!

Congratulations to Charlton Athletic fans, see you in the Championship next season! :thumbup:
Attachments
Wembley Arch.jpg
Wembley Arch this evening
Wembley Arch.jpg (125.44 KiB) Viewed 6057 times

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon May 27 2019 5:41am

?
Not sure how a 2-1 defeat is a ‘hiding?’
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 27 2019 10:48am

Gutted. I want Portsmouth and Sunderland to get promoted automatically but sadly neither made it.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 27 2019 12:32pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Mon May 27 2019 5:41am
?
Not sure how a 2-1 defeat is a ‘hiding?’
...when you go all the way to Wembley, decided not to play but just run around a bit, three goals are scored with none by your own team (even if one was an own goal) and what was at steak (promotion); I would have called it a hiding!

I did previously say they had done well to get to the 94th minute...!

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 27 2019 4:56pm

Well done Villa you had a great come-back season and won me a few £bob£ as well...!!! :thumbup:

Now: Lampard to Chelsea and John Terry to Boro...??? Stranger things have happened!!! :crazy:

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Mon May 27 2019 9:58pm

Always going to be tough v Villa but the 2 goals we conceded were gifts which is very disappointing. Villa has a good manager in Smith and given decent backing they'll comfortably consolidate in the prem.

Derby is now set for an uncertain month given the strong rumours about Lampard to Chelsea, I remain hopeful that Sarri will still be the manager for them next season. There will be a rebuilding job in the summer for us in the summer so it would be great timing for investment to be brought into the club.

Boro if your club is going for the rookie manager route in my opinion you might as well go with Woodgate as he knows the club.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh