What a Thriller

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
BeautifulSunshine

What a Thriller

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sun Jul 14 2019 9:32pm

Congratulations to us for winning the Cricket World Cup.

It looked like we weren't going to make it with those early wicket loses. But we pulled it off.

Long live England.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Constantine

Re: What a Thriller

Post by Constantine » Mon Jul 15 2019 8:52pm

Yes, congratulations are due to the England and Wales cricket team, captained by some Irishman with a Welsh surname. :)
Thanked by: MP3746, blythburgh

MP3746

Post by MP3746 » Tue Jul 16 2019 8:38am

Credit goes to that golden bat of Stokes' and how it deflected the ball to the boundary and also during the same moment where England gained one run too many when Rashid and Stokes had not completed their second run. Also credit to Kane Williamson and his team for being magnanimous in defeat and accepting the controversial rule of the team with most boundaries will win a tied super over. Yes England are officially Cricket World Cup champions but New Zealand have certainly earned my respect and I thought at the very least, just as deserving of the win as England.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jul 16 2019 10:34am

I agree with MP3746 but think we should also congratulate the management team who have turned things around. They say behind every successful man is a woman, even more true is behind every successful sports team is a management and support team.
Thanked by: MP3746
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

MP3746

Post by MP3746 » Tue Jul 16 2019 10:53am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Jul 16 2019 10:34am
I agree with MP3746 but think we should also congratulate the management team who have turned things around. They say behind every successful man is a woman, even more true is behind every successful sports team is a management and support team.
The management team has worked wonders and their objective was to win the World Cup. Eoin Morgan and Trevor Bayliss were instrumental in transforming a dire England team that had originally relied on computer software to pace an innings. I mean, what sort of a ridiculous tactic to use computer simulations to determine a par score? The team of today now boasts players who consistently bully the opposition with hefty 100+ strike rates.

The England team's transformation arose from pure aggression which is evident in their recent record breaking totals (eg. https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/180 ... n-eng-2018) and the ability to chase down 350+ scores. This was no fluke and being number 1 in the World is no fluke. This is the result of the England management team's great work which has been nothing short of remarkable.
Last edited by MP3746 on Tue Jul 16 2019 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: blythburgh, gle1975

gle1975

Post by gle1975 » Tue Jul 16 2019 2:32pm

Constantine wrote:
Mon Jul 15 2019 8:52pm
Yes, congratulations are due to the England and Wales cricket team, captained by some Irishman with a Welsh surname. :)
He does have an English mother so is half English! He played in the 2007 World Cup for Ireland.
Thanked by: MP3746, blythburgh

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Tue Jul 16 2019 8:11pm

gle1975 wrote:
Tue Jul 16 2019 2:32pm
Constantine wrote:
Mon Jul 15 2019 8:52pm
He does have an English mother so is half English! He played in the 2007 World Cup for Ireland.
As far as cricket is concerned, three years residence in England or Wales will do, no matter who your parents are. :)
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 17 2019 10:53am

I am sure that the Dad of the English cricket team is a biological Father. But without a DNA test nobody can say there Dad was also their biological Father. Sadly many families have been broken by the easy availability of these tests.

Yet we still use the Dad's nationality not the Mum's to say which country we belong to. Maybe the Jewish community has it right, to be born a Jew you have to have a Jewish Mother. Your Father can be Jewish but does not need to be.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 17 2019 10:59am

I have not seen a televised cricket match for a long time but we did see a lot of Sunday's.

I was appalled to see the hallowed turf painted with ads. OK it could be argued that the money was too good to turn down. And I can understand that Channel 4 needed to have the ad breaks.

But why, oh why, was it necessary to use constant shots of the crowd. Maybe I missed some famous faces although I recognised a few. But surely they were there in a private capacity and should have been left in peace. After all a few selfies if they wanted the media/social media to know they were there would have given them the publicity some famous people crave. And do we really need constant views of the great British Public enjoying a game of cricket.

Yes it was good to see members of the BAME community showing so clearly that they were supporting England but I still would have preferred not to have them constantly during the match.