Rugby 6 Nations - 2022

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
macliam

Rugby 6 Nations - 2022

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 05 2022 4:50pm

Ireland v Wales in Dublin Image

Ireland look to copy the result of last night's U20 game, where Ireland beat Wales by a massive 53 - 5 (22 - 0 HT)

Ireland have home advantage, former champions Wales suffer the consequences of a depleted squad through injury.

10 - 0 to Ireland at Half Time - and control of the game. Wales showing nice touches, but unable to finish.

Ireland 29 - 0 up at 62 minutes in, with 4 tries and a bonus point already.

Wales pull 7 points back, but the game ends 29 - 7 :mrgreen: Image
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Re: Rugby 6 Nations - 2022

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 05 2022 5:30pm

Second senior 6-nations game, Scotland v England at Murrayfield

Scotland attempt to defend the Calcutta Cup which they won at Twickenham, from an "Auld Enemy" depleted by injuries. 

A surprise try by Scotland plus a penalty puts them ahead of England 10 - 6 at half time

Scotland seem unable to exploit their advantages and England pull back 5 points at 54 minutes to go ahead 14 - 10. England then score another unconverted try
to open the lead to 17 - 10.

BUT then, Luke Cowan-Dickie deliberately pushes a cross fiel kick into touch to prevent scotland scoring. He is yellow carded and Scotland get a 7-point penalty try - 17 -17 at 65 minutes.

So all square and England down a man for 10 minutes.

Spurred on by the change, Scotland win a penalty and go 20 - 17 up on 72 minutes.

England get back up to 15 men at 76 minutes - and Scotland give away a penalty for a neck roll 10 metres from their touchline and then a further penalty for holding on. England go for field advantage, not points on 78 minutes.... but Scotland steal England's lineout and after some frenetic play, there's a scrum to England one minute before full time... and another..... and another (clock now red!)

England win the scrum, but Scotland steal the ball and kick it out into touch!!

Final score 20 - 17 to Scotland who hold the Calcutta cup back-to-back (the first time since 1984) Image
Thanked by: margaret7

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 06 2022 10:01am

I am guessing you were not listening to the Norwich City FA cup game then, macliam

Happy with the result but so sad for a team in tier 6 who are seconds away from a penalty shoot out when the opposing team score. I feel for all at Kidderminster Harriers who were into the extra time of extra time when the winning goal was scored
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 06 2022 12:36pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Feb 06 2022 10:01am
I am guessing you were not listening to the Norwich City FA cup game then, macliam

Happy with the result but so sad for a team in tier 6 who are seconds away from a penalty shoot out when the opposing team score. I feel for all at Kidderminster Harriers who were into the extra time of extra time when the winning goal was scored
No, but then I wouldn't listen to soccer if it was the only thing on radio - that's why I seldom take part in domestic soccer-related threads. I think that sport gets more than enough coverage....
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 06 2022 3:51pm

Third senior 6-nations game, Italy v France in Paris

Italy have never beaten France in Paris, but they have come very close in the past!
This time, the match opens in a very, very wet Paris, with France tipped for great things in the competition.

The first half starts slowly, with a dominant France scoring a penalty, but then making an error close to their own lines, which allows Italy to score a surprise try in the corner via a cross-field kick, scored by a debutante for Italy. A wonderful conversion kick (particularly in the conditions and from the angle required) adds a further 2 points, giving Italy the lead. However, Italy then lost the ball, gifting an easy (but unconverted) try to France, allowing them to retake the lead. Then a penalty against France allows the lead to change once again in Italy's favour, followed by a penalty against Italy that changes the lead yet again. Then a last minute try from France puts them well into the lead... and could spell the end to the tit-for-tat scoring. This time their conversion is successful, so the score is

Half-Time France 18 - 10 Italy
.... not the runaway score expected, but the Second-Half may change that.

Second half opens, France charges for an almost certain try, miraculously kept out by Italy. Then, handling in the resultant ruck gives a full penalty against France. But after some good defensive work from Italy, France once again get the opportunity to chase for the line... 23 - 10. Another failed conversion attempt leaves Italy with 2 converted tries required to get back in front. But on the 68th minute, France again break through to put the ball over the line in the corner.... gaining another 5 points and the bonus point. This time the conversion works... so on 69 minutes the score is 30 - 10, with no obvious way for Italy to move forward. However, a fast move and a French offside puts Italy on the French try line with a throw in, but another attempt at a cross-field kick puts the ball back in French hands. Then on the 82nd minute the French put another try into the corner and convert it for a final 37 - 10 scoreline.

Full Time France 37 - 10 Italy

The final score does a disservice to Italy, who played head and shoulders better than previously and didn't tire out completely in the second half. France have a 5-try bonus point win, mostly due to their exploitation of individual skill and breaking against the run of play. Given the opposition and the home advantage, the score is to be expected, but not extraordinary.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 07 2022 11:11am

But even you, maclaim must give a cheer at this FA Cup news. Boreham Wood Harriers who are in the 5th tier of the football league won again yesterday and are now in the last 16. What a pity they normally have so few supporters each week.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 07 2022 12:20pm

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Feb 07 2022 11:11am
But even you, maclaim must give a cheer at this FA Cup news. Boreham Wood Harriers who are in the 5th tier of the football league won again yesterday and are now in the last 16. What a pity they normally have so few supporters each week.
Nope, I really don't care. However, feel free to start another football thread if you have nowhere else to discuss it.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 12 2022 3:09pm

Fourth 6-nations game, Scotland v Wales in Cardiff

Scotland with their tails up after their defeat of England, Wales keen to assuage their defeat by Ireland.

Starts hard, but a penalty for collapsing the scrum sees Wales score first - 3 - 0 after 5 minutes

Then after a controversial move by Stuart Hogg of Scotland, they concede a penalty at the breakdown - Wales 6 - 0 Scotland at 7 minutes

Then Scotland finally get their act together and after a lot of pressure, they score in the corner - Wales 6 - 5 Scotland at 12 minutes

No conversion. But Wales concede a penalty for an offside and Scotland go into the lead - Wales 6 - 8 Scotland at 16 minutes

Wales then concede another penalty at the breakdown and Scotland extend their lead - Wales 6 - 11 Scotland at 20 minutes

Scotland then concede a penalty and Wales pull back - Wales 9 - 11 Scotland at 26 minutes

But then Wales concede almost immediately, allowing Finn Russell to extend the lead - Wales 9 - 14 Scotland at 29 minutes

Liam Williams then kicks brilliantly to give Wales a throw-in on Scotland's line. They power over to score

No conversion. Evenly matched play - then Wales win a scrum and kick into touch for half-time.

So Wales 14 - 14 Scotland at half-time. A lot of action, evenly matched teams and an unconverted try at both ends. More points for each from penalties

Back on field for the second half. Wales kicking for touch, Scotland down field. Then Hogg kicks for touch, but it's a Wales put-in. Scotland change their front row for the one that faced England. A kicking game starts, ending in a Wales line-out that comes to nothing, but shows the power of the Welsh maul.

Scotland set off all in hand and Wales infringe for a penalty advantage.... Scotland get to 7 metres from the line but then go back for the penalty. Finn Russell doesn't miss - Wales 14 - 17 Scotland at 49 minutes.

Much to and fro, with Scotland winning a scrum within their 22 and then kicking the ball over the Welsh line.

Wales attack, gaining a penalty advantage but push on to be stopped just short of the Scottish line. Dan Biggar, favouring his leg from earlier play, kicks to take Wales back - Wales 17 - 17 Scotland at 57 minutes.

Wales keep the kick, but very close to their line, Scotland cross the Welsh 22 but then concede for not releasing.

A cross-field kick by Scotland succeeds, but the player is pushed into touch just outside the Scotland 22. Scotland win the ball and kick it downfield, but then concede a penalty just over the halfway line. Dan Biggar goes for the kick, but kits the post. Wales push for a try - and go for the corner..... but the player crossed into touch. However, earlier, Finn Russell had knocked the ball forward, so it's a penalty to Wales and a yellow card - so Scotland lose their playmaker for 10 minutes.

Wales kick for the corner and win the lineout. Scotland stop the maul, but concede a penalty... a second maul, a penalty advantage and a drop-goal for Wales 20 - 17 Scotland at 70 minutes.

Scotland drive close to the welsh line, but Dan Biggar kicks to touch. Wales knock-on in the lineout so it's a Scottish scrum just outside the Welsh 22. But Wales get a penalty to allow them to clear their lines....

A 14-man Scotland go on the attack, but Wales get a penalty..... however, Dan Biggar is down injured but stays on to kick for touch deep in Scottish territory with 2 minutes to go. Game management for Wales....

Scotland steal the ball 5 metres from their own line, now back to 15 men. Wales stop it, but there is a hit to the head, so a penalty to Scotland with 2 seconds to go!

Scotland win their lineout, but the clock is now in the red. Scotland fight, but Wales counter-ruck and kick to touch to seal a comeback win.

Final score Wales 20 - 17 Scotland

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 12 2022 5:32pm

Fifth 6-nations game, Ireland v France in Paris.

Both teams want to build on last week's wins, but Ireland are without their talisman, Sexton.

It's a fierce start and France are up for the game - and dupont carries the ball over the line. Ireland 0 - 7 France after 2 minutes.

Ireland get pushed back and concede a penalty after 5 minutes. Ireland 0 - 10 France after 6 minutes.

But on the restart by Carberry, Mack Hansen runs through for a try in his second cap for Ireland, which Joey Carberry converts Ireland 7 - 10 France after 8 minutes.

Ireland win a scrum and kick to touch inside the French 22, but then give away an offside penalty. They win the resultant throw-in but concede a kickable penalty for holding on.

Ireland win a penalty on 18 minutes and Carberry goes for a throw-in in the French half. France want open play, not set pieces, but have a scrum well inside the Ireland half.... and a resultant lineout, which they lose.

France win a kickable penalty on 35 minutes - Ireland 7 - 16 France after 35 minutes.... now more than a converted try ahead.

Ireland concede another penalty after 37 minutes, play continues, but then France take the 3 points - Ireland 7 - 19 France at half time.

A tough game, but France edging it - Ireland 7 - 19 France

A good start to the second half by Ireland. But an offside penalty gives France another penalty - Ireland 7 - 22 France after 43 minutes.

A good Irish maul from a throw-in gives Ireland a try in the corner after 44 minutes, converted by Carberry - Ireland 14 - 22 France after 46 minutes.

Ireland restart their attack and win a penalty - put into the corner for a throw-in. Then Jamison Gibson-Park weaves though the defence to score close to the goal. converted to put Ireland right back in it - Ireland 21 - 22 France after 50 minutes.

France go on the attack, but a pushed into touch on the third attempt. Throw-in to Ireland on 52 minutes, but France steal it to score but fail to convert - Ireland 21 - 27 France after 54 minutes.

Ireland win a scrum just inside the French half, get pushed back but then kick to touch back inside the French half. The French then get a scrum on their 22 and manage to survive...

Ireland steal a French lineout on 65 minutes and then kick to touch deep in the French half. But France manage to defend that attack.

Ireland get a penalty on 71 minutes, kicked by Carberry - Ireland 24 - 27 France after 72 minutes.

Now France will try to run down the clock...... but instead they attack and go over the line on 77 minutes, but the try is held up. However, France get a penalty - Ireland 24 - 30 France on 78 minutes

France do run down the clock, helped by an Ireland error

Final Score - Ireland 24 - 30 France

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 13 2022 7:43am

macliam wrote:
Mon Feb 07 2022 12:20pm
blythburgh wrote:
Mon Feb 07 2022 11:11am
Nope, I really don't care. However, feel free to start another football thread if you have nowhere else to discuss it.
Just a wind up really, but I did cheer at the result. As I did at the Norwich City FA cup win. But it was on the tv in the room I was in and my eyes were on the computer. If I had been living alone I would have checked at some point to find out what the result was. I loved the two week winter break and would have been happy with a two month winter break :lol:

We only have one TV and no intention of getting a second. If a programme is that important to me I can use catch up TV. I get control of the hand set a lot so fair is fair really