What happens to the Marcus's ...?

Where new members can introduce themselves and others can make them feel welcome :)
Boro Boy

Re: What happens to the Marcus's ...?

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 12 2020 1:59am

I wonder if Marcus999 is still with us...???

With no real guidance or contact with people who discover the website, I should not be surprised if Marcus999 is no more... :thumbdown:

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue May 12 2020 8:09am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 12 2020 1:59am

With no real guidance or contact with people who discover the website, I should not be surprised if Marcus999 is no more... :thumbdown:
If you would be so kind as to refresh my memory, who is this mysterious Marcus999?
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue May 12 2020 9:23am

And could you please change the title to Marcus' as I can be a tad pedantic at times and it is annoying me
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 12 2020 10:41am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue May 12 2020 8:09am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 12 2020 1:59am

If you would be so kind as to refresh my memory, who is this mysterious Marcus999?
Marcus999 was a random Newbie I highlighted some time ago in an attempt to suggest iMutual should have a policy of keeping in contact with new members as well as attempting to find additional new members. It seems to have failed as it fell on management's deaf ear (maybe)...

It seems a shame that the newsletter drifted off the agenda for management as well...

cccashbacklover

Post by cccashbacklover » Tue May 12 2020 11:07am

"My name is Marcus and I'm from Azerbaijan. J" :think:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=83090&p=213661&hil ... 99#p213661

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue May 12 2020 12:36pm

blythburgh wrote:
Tue May 12 2020 9:23am
And could you please change the title to Marcus' as I can be a tad pedantic at times and it is annoying me
Could you not misuse the apostrophe like that.
It hits 5 on my pedantry scale.
:evil:
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed May 13 2020 10:48am

I am as guilty as almost everyone at mangling the language written and spoken but it bugs me as does the grammatical errors in my Ruth Rendell ebook. Very much doubt that is her fault though. Books and ebooks go through many hands from writer to page
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed May 13 2020 11:53am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed May 13 2020 10:48am
I am as guilty as almost everyone at mangling the language written and spoken but it bugs me as does the grammatical errors in my Ruth Rendell ebook. Very much doubt that is her fault though. Books and ebooks go through many hands from writer to page
As do the errors.
There are many errors, so the plural is appropriate.

I will grant you some leeway though, as you were referring to errors as a single entity, not each error separately. But grammatically, that would require some form of group noun (eg. the litany of errors).

No doubt someone will seek to pick up on my use of 'but' at the beginning of the previous sentence. To which I counter that it is not a rule of grammar, but a guide to clear expression; hence its use in schools as a learning aid. When you can make yourself clear it is perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with 'but', and also end a sentence with a preposition.

All this pendantry and the 'misuse' of grammar is also indicative of the changing nature of language. Words, sentence structure and grammar are constantly shifting. What was correct usage one year can gradually become archaic or assume another meaning ('gay' is the usual example). So, I expect anyone looking back at this lockdown time-wasting ramble of a post in a few decades will wonder what on earth I was on about.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu May 14 2020 10:30am

Chadwick wrote:
Wed May 13 2020 11:53am
blythburgh wrote:
Wed May 13 2020 10:48am
As do the errors.
There are many errors, so the plural is appropriate.

I will grant you some leeway though, as you were referring to errors as a single entity, not each error separately. But grammatically, that would require some form of group noun (eg. the litany of errors).

No doubt someone will seek to pick up on my use of 'but' at the beginning of the previous sentence. To which I counter that it is not a rule of grammar, but a guide to clear expression; hence its use in schools as a learning aid. When you can make yourself clear it is perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with 'but', and also end a sentence with a preposition.

All this pendantry and the 'misuse' of grammar is also indicative of the changing nature of language. Words, sentence structure and grammar are constantly shifting. What was correct usage one year can gradually become archaic or assume another meaning ('gay' is the usual example). So, I expect anyone looking back at this lockdown time-wasting ramble of a post in a few decades will wonder what on earth I was on about.
Find yourself hobby to keep you occupied.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu May 14 2020 3:55pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Thu May 14 2020 10:30am
Find yourself hobby to keep you occupied.
A hobby. Find yourself a hobby.

Unless this is a term of endearment for a Hobnob, in which case I think it's a great idea.