So what did you vote for?

Media articles about money-saving topics
parchedpeas

Re: So what did you vote for?

Post by parchedpeas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Our failure to hold on to a role in Galileo is a great metaphor for Brexit in its entirety. We've spent all the money and used all our expertise to get it off the ground and now that it's starting to bear fruit, we're leaving it only to start all over again.

Utterly pointless: stay in the thing that you've created and fix it from within.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Yet again "banned from" - it's the usual hyperbole. Galileo is an EU project and third countries like Switzerland, Norway or the USA are not allowed access to the secure areas. The rules were there, the UK chose to become a third country........ :eh:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 am

Thank You Wikipedia for the following clarification:

Galileo is the global navigation satellite system that is being created by the European Union through the European GNSS Agency, headquartered in Prague in the Czech Republic, with two ground operations centres, Oberpfaffenhofen near Munich in Germany and Fucino in Italy. The €10 billion project is named after the Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei. One of the aims of Galileo is to provide an independent high-precision positioning system so European nations do not have to rely on the Russian GLONASS, Chinese BeiDou or U.S. GPS systems, which could be disabled or degraded by their operators at any time. The use of basic Galileo services will be free and open to everyone. The higher-precision capabilities will be available for paying commercial users. Galileo is intended to provide horizontal and vertical position measurements within 1-metre precision, and better positioning services at higher latitudes than other positioning systems. Galileo is also to provide a new global search and rescue function as part of the MEOSAR system. :ugeek:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 am

I knew very little about the Galileo system until reading about it now. I certainly didn't know that the UK had invested over £1bn and, by leaving the EU, would shut ourselves out from the part of the system intended for use by government agencies, the armed forces, etc

And I don't suppose those who vigorously promoted Brexit knew any more than me about it.

How many more cases are there like this where we will lose out for the sake of 'taking back control'?
Thanked by: Chadwick

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 am

pabenny wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 am
I knew very little about the Galileo system until reading about it now. I certainly didn't know that the UK had invested over £1bn and, by leaving the EU, would shut ourselves out from the part of the system intended for use by government agencies, the armed forces, etc

And I don't suppose those who vigorously promoted Brexit knew any more than me about it.

How many more cases are there like this where we will lose out for the sake of 'taking back control'?
Not really a balanced view; we regain our democracy which alone people have died for. As for Galileo where does it say we are band from using this satellite positioning system other than the highly accurate version...? Not worth selling your soul for I would have thought...!

sanity clause

Post by sanity clause » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 am

I don't remember losing our democracy.

That's how we got in this mess.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 am
pabenny wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 am

Not really a balanced view; we regain our democracy which alone people have died for. As for Galileo where does it say we are band from using this satellite positioning system other than the highly accurate version...? Not worth selling your soul for I would have thought...!
Who died for democracy and what does that have to do with the EU? You may have lost your democracy, I never did.
government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/democracy
Thanked by: blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
our democracy which alone people have died for.
You persist with this claim which has been refuted many times here

- those who fought and died in the Second World War were fighting against the Nazis (and other regimes elsewhere). If they were fighting for anything, it would be king and country, the British way of life, etc. I doubt democracy figured anywhere.

- democracy in the EU is certainly different from democracy in the UK. In fact democracy in England differs from that in Scotland and even more so from that in Northern Ireland. And all of those democratic models have their flaws. But to say the EU is not democratic is not correct.
Boro Boy wrote:Not really a balanced view
What's unbalanced about that? Dominc Raab, latterly Minister for Brexit, was reported as saying " hadn’t quite understood the full extent of [our reliance] on the Dover-Calais crossing." You think the rest of the leave campaigners were significantly better informed than him?
Boro Boy wrote:Not worth selling your soul for
Ah. The "Price worth paying" argument for Brexit. Let's do a deal. I'll pay you the benefits that we get from leaving. And you can pay me how much worse off we'll be from leaving. Starting with your your £200 share of our contribution to Galileo that leaving the EU throws away.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
we regain our democracy which alone people have died for.
No they didn't.
And we haven't lost our democracy since then.

You know when people use the term 'gammon' as an insult? It's your point of view that they are insulting. So stop spluttering out that meaningless line if you want to avoid being tarred with the same brush.

Boro Boy wrote:
As for Galileo where does it say we are band from using this satellite positioning system other than the highly accurate version...?
So you're happy that we invest billions in a world-leading tech system, and then just walk away with nothing to show for it? That's going to make Britain great again? That's going to impress the rest of the world, and have them knocking on our door for a piece of the action (that we can't offer them)?

Boro Boy wrote:
Not worth selling your soul for I would have thought...!
Even Boris rejected that as a slogan for the bus. Get a grip.

Seriously, Boro Boy, do you understand anything about Brexit?
You keep making these stupid unfounded or illogical claims, and we keep giving you the facts and telling you why you are mistaken. But you keep repeating them, knowing they are wrong. Why?

It's worrying that you want to do something you cannot define, and you cannot explain why. So what is driving your thought process?

If you feel able to respond to those questions, please try and do it without just repeating the Daily Mail headlines, or any of the other invalid accusations you've trotted out previously. I'd genuinely like to understand why so many people think it's a good idea to make their lives more difficult.

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Yawn