IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Media articles about money-saving topics
Richard Frost

IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship.

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Feb 21 2019 2:31pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2019 2:26pm

And if we afre the subject of 'Off topic' The original topic heading is misleading
She was never going to be made stateless, you cant do that
I made allowance for that in the OP by editing the post when The Beeb made that clear, which was after the story broke. I am happy/will amend the Heading.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

pabenny

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to be made stateless by UK government

Post by pabenny » Thu Feb 21 2019 3:57pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2019 12:52pm
There is a definite case to re-instate [treason] legislation and expanding/modernising its effectiveness...!
The offence of High Treason remains law, and I as I said, there has never been an offence in UK law just called “treason”.

We already have a considerable amount of anti-terrorism legislation. Whilst I’m not a lawyer, this legislation would seem to address the present case.

What actions or beliefs would you have a new treason law make into offences?
Thanked by: Kelantan, kevinchess1

Richard Frost

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship.

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Feb 21 2019 4:01pm

pabenny wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2019 3:57pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2019 12:52pm
There is a definite case to re-instate [treason] legislation and expanding/modernising its effectiveness...!
The offence of High Treason remains law, and I as I said, there has never been an offence in UK law just called “treason”.

We already have a considerable amount of anti-terrorism legislation. Whilst I’m not a lawyer, this legislation would seem to address the present case.

What actions or beliefs would you have a new treason law make into offences?
If we are to go down this line then I would be interested to know what punishment could be meted out if someone was convicted of a new Treason offence that is not covered by our existing Terrorist legislation.
Last edited by Richard Frost on Thu Feb 21 2019 5:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: Kelantan, kevinchess1

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Feb 21 2019 4:46pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2019 4:01pm
If we are to go down this line then I would be interested to know what punishment could be meted out if someone was convicted of a new Treason offence that is not covered by our existing Terrorist legislation.
Retrospective legislation on behalf of the Home Office? Surely not!!! :roll:
Next they'll be making settled migrants prove their residence all over again...... oh, wait.... :shifty:

Seriously though, legislation can only be binding after it becomes law, so if Ms Begum has broken no existing laws and does not have another citizenship, then it would seem like the UK will have to accept her back and there will be no prosecution. That being said, I'm sure she could be forced to accept de-radicalization, monitoring and other restrictions - but keeping her in a refugee camp for years whilst this all plays out in the courts would seem to be handing a propaganda gift to the jihadists. Should her newborn son die in the camp...........

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Feb 21 2019 5:14pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2019 4:46pm
...if Ms Begum has broken no existing laws …
From the news reports, it seems very likely that she has contravened the Terrorism Act 2000. For example it is an offence to be a member of or otherwise support a proscribed organisation, such as IS. There are other offences about funding, fund-raising for terrorism, collecting information for terrorist purposes, and giving or receiving weapons training.

Travelling to Syria and marring an alleged IS member may not themselves be within the scope of the Act.

kevinchess1

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Feb 22 2019 1:10pm

All of these ‘Allegations’ are just that
I’m not convinced there can be enough evidence to secure a conviction
Thanked by: macliam
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Feb 22 2019 2:50pm

One thing for sure is to get a DNA test if the next thing is we take the baby back... and if we do I doubt it should go back to its Grandparents... they didn't do a good job so far...

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Feb 22 2019 3:12pm

I would have thought the sensible thing to do would to would be to get someone to talk to her, off the record, and explain some fairly clear facts of life.
If she were to come back with her child, and hold a press conference expressing remose for the victims of terrorist attack and say she deeply regreted going out thwre and ask for forgiveness then I susect they wouldn't chasrge her with much if anything
Maybe ask her to hold talks at schools and mosques warning others not too follow in her footsteps
That would do more good than letting her rot where she is
Just my opion and probably my last post in this thread
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Feb 22 2019 3:26pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Fri Feb 22 2019 3:12pm
I would have thought the sensible thing to do would to would be to get someone to talk to her, off the record, and explain some fairly clear facts of life.
If she were to come back with her child, and hold a press conference expressing remose for the victims of terrorist attack and say she deeply regreted going out thwre and ask for forgiveness then I susect they wouldn't chasrge her with much if anything
Maybe ask her to hold talks at schools and mosques warning others not too follow in her footsteps
That would do more good than letting her rot where she is
Just my opion and probably my last post in this thread

Basically you're saying you'll get what you want if you lie, don't express your true feelings and shed a few tears in front of the media and play to the camera...!

Don't know if thats a good signal :think:

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Fri Feb 22 2019 4:29pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Feb 22 2019 2:50pm
One thing for sure is to get a DNA test if the next thing is we take the baby back... and if we do I doubt it should go back to its Grandparents... they didn't do a good job so far...
To be fair they have another daughter who didn't turn out the same way so don't think any blame can be attached to them, she made her own choices.