IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Media articles about money-saving topics
RonFlorabud
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am
Sharing: 2stars.png
Location: Rural Warwickshire
Has thanked: 1648 times
Been thanked: 818 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by RonFlorabud » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Looking forward to her welcome return to the UK!

Richard Frost
Posts: 10992
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2301 times
Been thanked: 5273 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

She has been treated no differently than any other person in her situation. In my view it is important that Justice is done. Even more so in that the decision by the Government has been widely condemned as wrong. Without Legal Aid that is not possible. So I have no problems with her or anyone else in the same situation being awarded Legal Aid. It will be a drop in the ocean in monetary value, compared to the obscene amount of money that is being spent on Brexit.

expressman33
Posts: 10529
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2509 times
Been thanked: 9783 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by expressman33 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm

It will line the lawyers pockets

parchedpeas
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 295 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by parchedpeas » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:03 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm
She has been treated no differently than any other person in her situation. In my view it is important that Justice is done. Even more so in that the decision by the Government has been widely condemned as wrong. Without Legal Aid that is not possible. So I have no problems with her or anyone else in the same situation being awarded Legal Aid. It will be a drop in the ocean in monetary value, compared to the obscene amount of money that is being spent on Brexit.
Exactly. We're either a country of rules and laws, or we're not. If the Home Secretary hadn't broken the rules - and possibly the law - she would be back here now and justice would be taking its course. Get cross at the populist electioneering from the Home Secretary if you want to get cross. It's not the girls fault (even if other things may turn out to be).
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost
Posts: 10992
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2301 times
Been thanked: 5273 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm
It will line the lawyers pockets
What a silly one liner. Are you able to suggest any system of justice that doesn't?

kevinchess1
Posts: 22626
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm
Location: Miles away from the sea
Has thanked: 11578 times
Been thanked: 15783 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Oops
Typo WJ
William Joseph1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm
...It will be a drop in the ocean in monetary value, compared to the obscene amount of money that is being spent on Brexit.

I'll correct it
William Joseph1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm
...It will be a drop in the ocean in monetary value, compared to the obscene amount of money that is being spent on AVOIDING Brexit.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, RonFlorabud
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1
Posts: 22626
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm
Location: Miles away from the sea
Has thanked: 11578 times
Been thanked: 15783 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm

#PakeFieldLaw
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

pabenny
Posts: 1806
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 507 times
Been thanked: 1446 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by pabenny » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:17 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm
It will line the lawyers pockets
£52.65/hour in London for preparation and advocacy*. Considerably less than the hourly rate you would pay for service at a London car dealership.

That rate has to fund office costs and support staff as well as directly paying the individual lawyer.

-------------
* Rate at July 2015 - may have changed since then
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33
Posts: 10529
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2509 times
Been thanked: 9783 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by expressman33 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:33 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm
expressman33 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm
It will line the lawyers pockets
What a silly one liner.
She hasn't asked for the legal aid , it was her lawyers decision to ask for it on her behalf

The legal aid system is a farce - even Garry Glitter got Legal Aid whilst earning £300,000 per year in royalties
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost
Posts: 10992
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2301 times
Been thanked: 5273 times
Contact:

Re: IS Teenager Shaminna Begum to lose British Citizenship

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:52 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm
Oops
Typo WJ
William Joseph1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm
...It will be a drop in the ocean in monetary value, compared to the obscene amount of money that is being spent on Brexit.
I'll correct it
William Joseph1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm
...It will be a drop in the ocean in monetary value, compared to the obscene amount of money that is being spent on AVOIDING Brexit.
What I wrote was inclusive and was meant to be satisfying to both sides of the debate.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest