TV Licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

Media articles about money-saving topics
blythburgh

Re: TV Licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jul 08 2019 11:46am

I agree you cannot believe the promises of Johnson or Hunt. A jaw dropping moment for me was meeting up with a friend. She brought up the B word and wants Johnson to win "because he will get us out of the EU and that is all that matters".

I could have said he has lied and lied in the past so you cannot rely on him to get us out. But instead said I would have rather have had Gove. She did not want him because he was too ugly.

Personally I am not bothered with the looks of politicians and at least I can have some respect for Gove. He has always been a Eurosceptic unlike Johnson who changed his view because he knew that would garner him votes when the Tory members decided who should be the next PM
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jul 08 2019 11:48am

I would be happy for all over 75's to have a free tv licence if it was still paid for by the Govt. If the Beeb has to pay it will mean a severely depleted output by them and that is not a price worth paying.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Jul 08 2019 11:54am

expressman33 wrote:
Mon Jul 08 2019 11:06am
kevinchess1 wrote:
Sun Jul 07 2019 5:47pm
Not all pensioners live on the breadline so why should we subsidise them?
Because that is what they were promised.
What exactly do you think pensioners have been promised?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jul 08 2019 12:16pm

pabenny wrote:
Mon Jul 08 2019 11:54am
expressman33 wrote:
Mon Jul 08 2019 11:06am
kevinchess1 wrote:
Sun Jul 07 2019 5:47pm
Not all pensioners live on the breadline so why should we subsidise them?
Because that is what they were promised.
What exactly do you think pensioners have been promised?
A land full of milk and honey of course

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Mar 16 2020 12:09pm

BBC to delay over-75 licence fee changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51911065
Thanked by: blythburgh

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Mar 16 2020 4:37pm

expressman33 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 2020 12:09pm
BBC to delay over-75 licence fee changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51911065
A good move.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Mar 17 2020 10:58am

Sadly some fatcat pensioners who can easily afford the licence will not pay but some who will be very badly affected by the corona virus measures will have to pay but go without food etc to do so

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Mar 17 2020 4:26pm

I know someone, over 70, ex-Navy, ex-Police - and a Tory voter and Brexiteer (you see, anything is possible!). He told me he was going to refuse to pay his license fee and challenge the courts to lock him up.

Much is said in this country about "rich pensioners" and any benefits provided to them. I always thought that this was a justified payment for years of service, not a "gift" from the Government - and the offer in the UK does not stack up particularly well when compared to that elsewhere.

In Ireland, pensioners over 66 years old is eligible for free travel on most state-run public transport (bus, rail and Dublin's LUAS service) and also some services operated by private bus transport companies. Those living alone are also elibible for an extra weekly payment of €14 and may qualify for a €2.50 payment towards telephone charges.

Pensioners over 70 then qualify for a Household Benefits Package which gives an extra €35 monthly (€1.15 per day) against either Electricity of gas charges and a free TV licence.

The basic State Pension is €248.30 a week!!

Imagine a similar scheme here!!
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Mar 17 2020 8:16pm

macliam wrote:
Tue Mar 17 2020 4:26pm
I know someone, over 70, ex-Navy, ex-Police - and a Tory voter and Brexiteer (you see, anything is possible!). He told me he was going to refuse to pay his license fee and challenge the courts to lock him up.

Much is said in this country about "rich pensioners" and any benefits provided to them. I always thought that this was a justified payment for years of service, not a "gift" from the Government - and the offer in the UK does not stack up particularly well when compared to that elsewhere.

In Ireland, pensioners over 66 years old is eligible for free travel on most state-run public transport (bus, rail and Dublin's LUAS service) and also some services operated by private bus transport companies. Those living alone are also elibible for an extra weekly payment of €14 and may qualify for a €2.50 payment towards telephone charges.

Pensioners over 70 then qualify for a Household Benefits Package which gives an extra €35 monthly (€1.15 per day) against either Electricity of gas charges and a free TV licence.

Like that is it, I'm living in the wrong country. After Brexit, any chance I could move to Ireland?
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 18 2020 10:23am

macliam wrote:
Tue Mar 17 2020 4:26pm

I feel that any pension has been paid for by those receiving it. And have no problem with the Govt. paying for free bus passes, tv licences etc. Yes, many getting these things have a higher disposable income than many who work full time but if you make them means tested then the cost and the fact that many will not apply defeats the object of making it fair and cost effective.

But I do have a problem when the free TV licence is paid by the BBC. This merely means we all lose in that the BBC will have to cut costs dramatically just to pay for those who will qualify under the new rules for getting it.

Do not listen to those who want to kill off the Beeb. It provides largely neutral news programmes. Of course you are going to get those who think it was pro Remain and those who think it was pro Brexit (I have seen many people complaining about Brexit online from remainers as well as leavers. Every election party activists accuse it of bias, they cannot all be right can they?

These people also want to kill off local BBC radio as it is unfair to commercial ones. But there is no really local commercial radio any more.

One of our national treasures that other countries wish they had could be lost