Goodbye Titanic

Media articles about money-saving topics
BeautifulSunshine

Goodbye Titanic

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Aug 05 2019 7:11pm

Harland and Wolff, a famous shipyard, the best known vessel is the Titanic, which was built at the yard between 1909 and 1911 have gone into administration.

The MP of Harland and Wolff said:
The official advice is that it cannot be done for three reasons: there is no order book at present so the money would be going in with no generation of product or profit; and there was no ability to secure the loans or pay them back; and it would also conflict with state aid rules.
Just goes to show you can't take anything for grated. When opportunity knocks on the door you hold it tight with both hands.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-49165896
Thanked by: blythburgh
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Re: Goodbye Titanic

Post by macliam » Mon Aug 05 2019 7:34pm

While it's sad to see the end of yet another industry, in truth it died in 2003 when the last ship was built.

It was also a bastion of Orange hegemony, where the chances of a Catholic getting a job were akin to a snowflake in Hell. In the tragedy that is Northern Ireland, it was a prime example of how the tribal divisions of the two traditions proved stronger than the unity of the working man. So, in many ways it is appropriate that it should disappear, just as the dominance of unionism is disappearing.

Many will mourn its passing, many others will celebrate.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

bprev

Post by bprev » Tue Aug 06 2019 1:28am

macliam,you are living very much in the past.Northern Ireland has probably the toughest Fair Employment and Equality laws in Europe. Some firms are having problems recruiting skilled local people because of these laws,the workforce must reflect the demographic balance of the area.And these laws do not appear to apply to EU and non EU immigrants Our health service would collapse without non EU and EU immigrant nurses, our chicken processing industry would collapse without our Portuguese friends working here, our large quarry machinery and screening industry would collapse without our Portuguese and Polish friends.
And to balance your assertion of bias which is partially untrue and historical, within these past few months a civil servant received sizeable monetary compensation because he had to work close to ? or walk past a portrait of the Queen. I thought the old Burn Everything British but their Coal died with deVil era?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Aug 06 2019 8:58am

I find it sad that another great name from history will be no more. Whatever the religion (actually original Irish or descendants of Colonists) of each worker it is a sad day for them and there families.

But bprev is correct in what they say about non Irish workers. It is exactly the same here in Britain. Locally we lost our small ship shipbuilding industry and have many workers in the poultry industry especially turkey since the fire destroyed the chicken processing factory a few years back. Yes, still an empty field where the factory stood. And maybe that is why the local area is so pro Brexit.

It is hard to get a job in the poultry processing industry unless you came from abroad. An ITV programme had a reporter working in various factories that had a lot of non British born workers. He applied for the local Bernard Matthews factory but was told there were not vacancies but they were advertising for workers in Portugal and his colleague there was told he could have a job in our local factory.

Local born people know their rights far more than people from abroad and more likely to kick up a fuss when things go wrong. The reporter got a job in a different type of food factory but could not work on day one because there was not clothing for him available. Next day he was told to get stuff out of a locker. When he asked about the man who normally wore them the reply was he will be sent home without pay. I heard on the local news about the how Bernard Matthews workers had to spend the day in the canteen as there was no work for them that day (and no pay). The bus would not be coming back until the end of the working day. Yes, they could have taken the long walk into Halesworth but the only way they could get back to Lowestoft was by train or getting buses to other towns and changing to a bus to home. A lot of effort and money on a day when you earn nowt.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Aug 06 2019 12:31pm

bprev wrote:
Tue Aug 06 2019 1:28am
macliam,you are living very much in the past.Northern Ireland has probably the toughest Fair Employment and Equality laws in Europe. Some firms are having problems recruiting skilled local people because of these laws,the workforce must reflect the demographic balance of the area.And these laws do not appear to apply to EU and non EU immigrants Our health service would collapse without non EU and EU immigrant nurses, our chicken processing industry would collapse without our Portuguese friends working here, our large quarry machinery and screening industry would collapse without our Portuguese and Polish friends.
And to balance your assertion of bias which is partially untrue and historical, within these past few months a civil servant received sizeable monetary compensation because he had to work close to ? or walk past a portrait of the Queen. I thought the old Burn Everything British but their Coal died with deVil era?
Ummm, I think you'll find that my references to H&W were in the past tense and about their historical anti-Catholic bias (surely you don't deny that?) I did not claim this was a general issue in NI today - things are improving, thank goodness, after many years of grief. However, moving to a more equal future does not involve denial of the past .... and your example of the civil servant shows that while there are still issues to overcome, some people will find a way to exploit them.

I don't really understand your de Valera reference either - particularly as he is no hero of mine.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Tue Aug 06 2019 3:47pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Mon Aug 05 2019 7:11pm
Harland and Wolff, a famous shipyard, the best known vessel is the Titanic, which was built at the yard between 1909 and 1911
And everyone knows what happened to "The Unsinkable"

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Aug 06 2019 5:18pm

expressman33 wrote:
Tue Aug 06 2019 3:47pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Mon Aug 05 2019 7:11pm
Harland and Wolff, a famous shipyard, the best known vessel is the Titanic, which was built at the yard between 1909 and 1911
And everyone knows what happened to "The Unsinkable"
But then she is the special one that you can't forget.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

bprev

Post by bprev » Wed Aug 07 2019 1:45am

Titanic was captained by an Englishman !