Citizen Khan pushes ahead with the plan to shoot himself in the foot

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

Citizen Khan pushes ahead with the plan to shoot himself in the foot

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Sep 10 2019 11:06pm

Sadiq Khan (Mayor of London) is planning to push ahead with his earlier announcement of introducing Rent Controls on the private rental market and its the people who need to rent who will end up with the repercussions of his actions...!

See an earlier report when he first suggested the above actions: https://news.rla.org.uk/rent-controls-w ... tenants-2/

This sort of political involvement with the aim of "doing good!" only helps those who are already renting. Anybody who is a new renter looses out as landlords pull out of the area and supply diminishes whilst in the surrounding unregulated areas prices goes up with the increased demand.

Still his empire will grow as he creates new jobs to administer his schemes - but where will they live? :wtf:
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Re: Citizen Khan pushes ahead with the plan to shoot himself in the foot

Post by blythburgh » Wed Sep 11 2019 9:49am

What would help renters is stopping people buying houses all over the country and leaving them empty to deteriorate and later sell them at a profit.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Wed Sep 11 2019 4:37pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Sep 10 2019 11:06pm
Still his empire will grow as he creates new jobs to administer his schemes - but where will they live? :wtf:
Good news. Mr Khan lacks the ability to introduce rent controls. He might like to, but he can't.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Wed Sep 11 2019 4:46pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Sep 11 2019 9:49am
What would help renters is stopping people buying houses all over the country and leaving them empty to deteriorate and later sell them at a profit.
Que?

What evidence do you have that is happening?

Why would anybody want to buy a property and leave it empty to deteriorate, when they could rent it out for good hard cash, and then make even more profit on the sale of a property that had not deteriorated?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Sep 12 2019 10:37am

Constantine I have so much evidence:

The radio programme where an estate agent in London said he was selling a block of new build flats. He said many of then would be sold to people from abroad, especially China and Singapore, but they would then remain empty forever. He was not a happy bunny but could not do anything to stop these buyers.

Southwold Councillor Beavan on a regional new programme saying how many houses in the town were not occupied full time or even used as holiday homes. He pointed out roads where many of the houses were left empty all the time.

Just three of the articles I found on google:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... olk-resort

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long ... 46336.html

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/30/inside-m ... -10092362/

When I heard the radio programme I was gobsmacked, why leave it empty when you can make money from the building?

Thinking about it in my town it is happening. 2 doors down is not permanently occupied but for many years it was a holiday home for the owners and family but never rented out. 3 doors down the other way the elderly owner moved into a flat near her daughter many miles away but they kept the house in case she wanted to move back. Years later it is only occupied when the daughter and son in law come down for an occasional holiday. Going the other way the end terrace house was empty for many years. The owner remarried, lived in her house but refused to sell or rent out his house. Across the road, on the corner is a block of four flats. One was sold and a man stopped me in the street asking about the refuse bins. He told me he had bought the flat for a holiday home for himself and he had bought the house in the next road for the same reason. But not to worry it would not be let out as a holiday home. So both are empty most of the time. I checked and the properties are owned by a company so very tax efficient way to have a holiday home. Next door to his holiday house lives Christine who is in a too cold terrace house. A rarely used holiday home one side and a house that has not been lived in for over 40 years to my knowledge and probably more. It is not safe to live in. Our council recently bought and empty shop and living accommodation not too far from us. Empty for a few years it has been converted into flats. And another derelict property in the town was featured on Look East (tv news). It was in a dreadful state after years of being left to rot, but the council have bought it and will turn it into a home.

The amount of empty but not for sale properties in this country is nothing short of a national disgrace
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Sep 12 2019 12:30pm

There are indeed plenty of anecdotes about empty properties, but let's try some facts.

According to ONS data, there are 216,000 vacant dwellings in England out of 24.2 dwellings in total - so less than 1%.

Is that a big number? I don't think so.
Could it be smaller? Undoubtedly.
Could it be a lot smaller? Probably not

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Thu Sep 12 2019 8:55pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Sep 12 2019 10:37am
Constantine I have so much evidence:,,,
You have no evidence at all that these houses are being left empty to deteriorate because the owners wish to later sell them at a, presumably greater, profit.

That does not, on the whole, make any sense. That is your prejudice speaking.
blythburgh wrote:
Thu Sep 12 2019 10:37am
The amount of empty but not for sale properties in this country is nothing short of a national disgrace.
Not really. I believe that the UK has very few empty properties compared to the likes of Italy, France, Spain, Germany etc,

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Thu Sep 12 2019 9:16pm

pabenny wrote:
Thu Sep 12 2019 12:30pm
There are indeed plenty of anecdotes about empty properties, but let's try some facts.

According to ONS data, there are 216,000 vacant dwellings in England out of 24.2 dwellings in total - so less than 1%.

Is that a big number? I don't think so.
Could it be smaller? Undoubtedly.
Could it be a lot smaller? Probably not
Those are the numbers of properties vacant over six months.

There are normally reasons for this. Anecdotally, my father's former house would have been in those numbers because, well it took longer than that to get probate. And it was empty for a few months after that because the owners stripped it back and refurbished. These things happen.

But you also get whole streets etc that get abandoned due to economic change and jobs moving elsewhere. LAs often try and do something about this.

https://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/EN/Newsroom/P ... lleys.aspx
https://liverpool.gov.uk/housing/homes-for-a-pound/

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Sep 12 2019 9:28pm

Decreasing the average speed of traffic makes their engines less efficient and more dirty; but perhaps this is what Citizen Khan wants so he can suggest a total ban on private transport...? https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/pla ... spartanntp

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Sep 12 2019 10:49pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Sep 12 2019 9:28pm
Decreasing the average speed of traffic makes their engines less efficient and more dirty; but perhaps this is what Citizen Khan wants so he can suggest a total ban on private transport...? https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/pla ... spartanntp
Why don't you ask him yourself?
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]