FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Money, investing, mutuals etc
expressman33
Posts: 8986
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2217 times
Been thanked: 9324 times
Contact:

FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by expressman33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Posted by underdog in freebies

You need to first setup a Government Gateway account then you'll be able to login to view things like:
- Your Tax Contributions
- Your Tax Code
- Your NI Contributions
- Your Pension Forecast
- Tax Credits etc...
- Update your personal details (address etc...)

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/governme ... gin=PERTAX
Last edited by expressman33 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

planteria
Posts: 5052
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 394 times
Been thanked: 1463 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by planteria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:23 pm

so this is that HMRC have made this information more accessible?
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33
Posts: 8986
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2217 times
Been thanked: 9324 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by expressman33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:46 pm

I found it useful in that I was expecting a full pension based on the fact that I had 36 years of full NI contributions but then found out that I was 3.5 years short . Phoned up the helpline who were useless , said it was probably due to me contributing to my works pension ( if this was the case then I would be a lot more than 3.5 years short as I was in my company pension scheme for 26 years)
Thanked by: emsky, xxxraichxxx, blythburgh

macliam
Posts: 7523
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1330 times
Been thanked: 6427 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:24 pm

I mentioned the easier access in an earlier post - but, at that time, the authentication required for the pension information and the NI contributions was different....

I found that I too will get a reduced pension (like expresso) - this is not because of any gap in contributions, but because I was "contracted out" of SERPS due to being in a company scheme. This meant I paid a slightly lower stamp but had no right to an earnings-related top-up via SERPS. Then the government scrapped SERPS and introduced a standard pension (and therefore contribution). The "full" pension now assumes that you will have paid FULL "contacted-in" contributions whilst SERPS existed, otherwise you receive less.........

SO, it's not really a standard pension at all for those of us who had no choice in the matter.....

This is thought to affect a large number of people, so the number receiving the full amount when the new pension is first paid will be quite low.......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33
Posts: 8986
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2217 times
Been thanked: 9324 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by expressman33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:25 pm

macliam wrote:I mentioned the easier access in an earlier post - but, at that time, the authentication required for the pension information and the NI contributions was different....

I found that I too will get a reduced pension (like expresso) - this is not because of any gap in contributions, but because I was "contracted out" of SERPS due to being in a company scheme. This meant I paid a slightly lower stamp but had no right to an earnings-related top-up via SERPS. Then the government scrapped SERPS and introduced a standard pension (and therefore contribution). The "full" pension now assumes that you will have paid FULL "contacted-in" contributions whilst SERPS existed, otherwise you receive less.........

SO, it's not really a standard pension at all for those of us who had no choice in the matter.....

This is thought to affect a large number of people, so the number receiving the full amount when the new pension is first paid will be quite low.......
You can buy the extra years if you need to.

expressman33
Posts: 8986
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2217 times
Been thanked: 9324 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by expressman33 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 pm

As said earlier I was contracted out of SERPs , but I paid this into a Scottish Widows scheme. I recently asked Scottish widows how to go about accessing this fund as I am a non tax payer and wanted to make the most of my personal allowance , I was told I had to switch the money it had built up into a different fund and take the 25% tax free amount straight away. I did this and have also started taking a regular income from the fund which I pay no tax on . But I also found out that I could repay a lump sum of £2,880 each year back into the pension and get tax relief of £720 on this ,so that a total of £3,600 goes back into my pension . So it's £720 for me that costs me nothing :thumbup:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-private- ... tax-relief ( see "If you don’t pay Income Tax" )

milo55
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 pm
Location: flying my kite on coombe hill
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by milo55 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 pm

also set up government gateway- and found i was 2 years short; still working so should ( if they don`t change the qualifying years again ) have full state pension .
I think the gateway is great - tried to set it up a few years ago without success ( needed new style driving licence - only have old paper one ; and company verification , which didn`t work ) - can view pension , earnings reported to hmrc by employer , tax , N.I. ,etc

expressman33
Posts: 8986
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2217 times
Been thanked: 9324 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by expressman33 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 am

milo55 wrote:also set up government gateway- and found i was 2 years short; still working so should ( if they don`t change the qualifying years again ) have full state pension .
I think the gateway is great - tried to set it up a few years ago without success ( needed new style driving licence - only have old paper one ; and company verification , which didn`t work ) - can view pension , earnings reported to hmrc by employer , tax , N.I. ,etc
can you claim the extra years for looking after grandchildren ? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73361&hilit=credits

Constantine
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 445 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by Constantine » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:34 am

expressman33 wrote:
milo55 wrote:
can you claim the extra years for looking after grandchildren ? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73361&hilit=credits
It appears so.

Specified Adult Childcare credits: fact sheet
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... fact-sheet

You can apply for Specified Adult Childcare credits if: you are a grandparent, or other family member caring for a child under 12

expressman33
Posts: 8986
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2217 times
Been thanked: 9324 times
Contact:

Re: FREE HMRC Tax/National Insurance/Pension Access

Post by expressman33 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:09 am

expressman33 wrote:As said earlier I was contracted out of SERPs , but I paid this into a Scottish Widows scheme. I recently asked Scottish widows how to go about accessing this fund as I am a non tax payer and wanted to make the most of my personal allowance , I was told I had to switch the money it had built up into a different fund and take the 25% tax free amount straight away. I did this and have also started taking a regular income from the fund which I pay no tax on . But I also found out that I could repay a lump sum of £2,880 each year back into the pension and get tax relief of £720 on this ,so that a total of £3,600 goes back into my pension . So it's £720 for me that costs me nothing :thumbup:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-private- ... tax-relief ( see "If you don’t pay Income Tax" )
After paying in £2,880 and having this grossed up to £3,600 , I have now taken 25% of this ( £900 ) as a tax free lump sum :thumbup:
Thanked by: blythburgh, dustie

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests