Bank Branch Closure - not just a rural problem....

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Boro Boy

Bank Branch Closure - not just a rural problem....

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I had a letter in the post telling me that the Co-op Bank in Holborn is to close on 25/04/2018 then I walked out and found that the Lloyds Bank Law Courts Branch in Fleet Street had closed, this has been a Lloyds Bank for half a century or more; all to be replaced with trendy coffee bars no doubt.

It is not just rural areas that are becoming banking deserts, its happening in Central London as well...
Lloyds Closed 2.jpg
Lloyds Bank Closure
Lloyds Closed 2.jpg (172.65 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Re: Bank Branch Closure - not just a rural problem....

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:16 pm

I am presuming you all prefer to deal face to face with your bank on those many more complicated issues or may be the day to day issues but the question is how far do you have to travel to your nearest branch? Also if that branch was closed how far would you have to travel to the next nearest branch...?

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Boro Boy wrote:I am presuming you all prefer to deal face to face with your bank on those many more complicated issues or may be the day to day issues but the question is how far do you have to travel to your nearest branch? Also if that branch was closed how far would you have to travel to the next nearest branch...?
You can't deposit a cheque ( or cash) online
Thanked by: Boro Boy

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:00 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:I am presuming you all prefer to deal face to face with your bank on those many more complicated issues or may be the day to day issues but the question is how far do you have to travel to your nearest branch? Also if that branch was closed how far would you have to travel to the next nearest branch...?
Depending on the bank most post offices accept cheque deposits
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

RonFlorabud
Sharing: 4stars.png

Post by RonFlorabud » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Cheques... I remember them.
Thanked by: Dream on

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
expressman33 wrote:
It's a pity the queues are so long.
Also not for the Nationwide as far as I know

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:33 am

expressman33 wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:
expressman33 wrote:You can't deposit a cheque ( or cash) online
It's a pity the queues are so long.
Also not for the Nationwide as far as I know
Nationwide takes 10 days to clear a cheque. Can always send them by post but not many people get cheques very often nowadays. No idea about your Post office Branch but at mine very rarely anyone in front of me in the queue. Usually get served straight away. The Nationwide Building Society never did have Branches although they did often have agencies based in Estate Agencies. Arguably you could say that Nationwide have increased the places they do business as they have taken over other societies.

I can't remember the last time I needed to go to a bank branch and I am sure closures will continue as more people find other ways to bank. The Branch network is not financially sustainable and is largely a thing of the past If anyone is unhappy the ability is there to vote with your feet change banks and make money in the process. Halifax have just increased their welcome bonus from £75 to £125 paid within 7 days of joining them. Other banks also have incentives.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 am

Nationwide has branches staffed by Nationwide staff in Lowestoft and Beccles and Norwich that are easily accessable to me. Use the Beccles one several times a year
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59 am

William Joseph1 wrote:I can't remember the last time I needed to go to a bank branch and I am sure closures will continue as more people find other ways to bank. The Branch network is not financially sustainable and is largely a thing of the past If anyone is unhappy the ability is there to vote with your feet change banks and make money in the process. Halifax have just increased their welcome bonus from £75 to £125 paid within 7 days of joining them. Other banks also have incentives.
Same here. Only go into a branch to deposit birthday/Christmas cheques. It's not urgent and I could easily do it in the next big town rather than my local branch.
Thanked by: Dream on

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:59 am

There is a rescue position for those of us who prefer to talk with a human being face to face and deal with questions without creating more problems if it doesn't fit a banks tick box approach. Metro Bank, one of those new style banks is actually opening new branches with over 50 (currently only in the South of England) with more convenient opening times (open until 8pm and weekends) but even they have a internet banking.