40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc
planteria
Posts: 5048
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 394 times
Been thanked: 1460 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by planteria » Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 am

a co-op that Is part of a chain?

blythburgh
Posts: 13569
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 28086 times
Been thanked: 5478 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by blythburgh » Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 am

planteria wrote:a co-op that Is part of a chain?
Yes in that it is not an independent with only one or two shops but different to other chains of course
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 3268
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 1794 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Boro Boy » Sun May 13, 2018 4:01 pm

blythburgh wrote:
planteria wrote:a co-op that Is part of a chain?
Yes in that it is not an independent with only one or two shops but different to other chains of course
I'm not so sure that the only difference is marketing...?
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 13569
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 28086 times
Been thanked: 5478 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 14, 2018 7:59 am

Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:
planteria wrote:a co-op that Is part of a chain?
Yes in that it is not an independent with only one or two shops but different to other chains of course
I'm not so sure that the only difference is marketing...?
I never said it was but it is a chain of shops. It might be owned by the members rather than the shareholders or private company but it is a regional chain.
Thanked by: expressman33
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 691 times
Been thanked: 1843 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Chadwick » Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am

Store footfall in 'unprecedented' decline
Diane Wehrle, of Springboard, wrote:Not since the depths of recession in 2009 has footfall over March and April declined to such a degree. It is clear that retail trading is doubly challenged by a thrifty consumer, in concert with a continuing predisposition towards leisure rather than retail spend
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44101230
Thanked by: blythburgh, expressman33

Boro Boy
Posts: 3268
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 1794 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 14, 2018 11:53 am

Chadwick wrote:Store footfall in 'unprecedented' decline
Diane Wehrle, of Springboard, wrote:Not since the depths of recession in 2009 has footfall over March and April declined to such a degree. It is clear that retail trading is doubly challenged by a thrifty consumer, in concert with a continuing predisposition towards leisure rather than retail spend
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44101230

I think this just confirms the previous report but with perhaps a little more meat on the bones...: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/company ... spartanntp

...like I suggested previously; are we seeing the birth of a slow motion recession? :think:
Thanked by: expressman33

Constantine
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 444 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Constantine » Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Interesting story here about what kind of offline stores are doing well, and which are not.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ernet.html

Bookshops are on the up. Which is a bit surprising. After all, Amazon started as a bookshop, and now has Kindles.

The big losers seem to be travel agents.
Thanked by: expressman33

pabenny
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 326 times
Been thanked: 998 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by pabenny » Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Mothercare is "in a perilous state" and hasn't made a profit since 2012. They have announced 50 store closures by 2020 - although I can't see them staying in business long enough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44148937
Thanked by: expressman33

richard@imutual
Posts: 4426
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:19 am
Sharing: 4stars.png
Has thanked: 1824 times
Been thanked: 4001 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by richard@imutual » Mon May 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Closing the topic due to the length, and it's been quiet for a few days. Feel free to start a new one if necessary

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests