40 Stores to close....

Money, investing, mutuals etc
William Joseph1
Posts: 10743
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2399 times
Been thanked: 6024 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by William Joseph1 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm

House of Fraser to close stores and change of ownership http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43973149
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 998 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by pabenny » Wed May 02, 2018 3:57 pm

pabenny wrote:For example, House of Fraser and Debenhams seem to me increasingly irrelevant and have nothing that isn't found elsewhere on the high street. I don't even think of shopping at either - and to judge by the stores that I pass, nor do other people.
Told you so.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on

pabenny
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 998 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by pabenny » Wed May 02, 2018 4:10 pm

And what else does my crystal ball foresee?

The 'value' sector generally - lower income households have been particularly squeezed by austerity and benefit freezes/cuts and the stores are not appealing to those trading down. We've recently seen Poundworld talking of closing a quarter of their stores. There may be others that have over-expanded. I rate Home Bargains and their stores are always busy. Poundstretcher stores look tired and undifferentiated; there may be others having to retrench.

The Matalan stores I know also look very tired and the business may have been distracted by the relocation of their head office and distribution centre a couple of years ago.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on

Boro Boy
Posts: 3276
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 1796 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Boro Boy » Fri May 04, 2018 11:07 pm

BT laying off 6,500 staff... What next I wonder...!

If I didn't know better I'd say there is a slow motion crash on the way...!

See: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/bt ... spartanntp

Thought you'd like the Italian bit!
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 13577
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 28114 times
Been thanked: 5488 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 05, 2018 7:21 am

Loose's has been selling in Norwich for over 200 years and only 2 different owners in all that time. But although it is a performing well with good footfall and profits the owner is closing the store and will be concentrating on selling online. He thinks it is sustainable to have the shop now but does not think it will be sustainable in 5 years time.
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 3276
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 1796 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Boro Boy » Sat May 05, 2018 10:58 am

blythburgh wrote:Loose's has been selling in Norwich for over 200 years and only 2 different owners in all that time. But although it is a performing well with good footfall and profits the owner is closing the store and will be concentrating on selling online. He thinks it is sustainable to have the shop now but does not think it will be sustainable in 5 years time.
I wonder what he anticipates is going to occur over the next 5 years and beyond... :think:
Thanked by: blythburgh

RonFlorabud
Posts: 2013
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am
Sharing: 4stars.png
Location: Rural Warwickshire
Has thanked: 1911 times
Been thanked: 927 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by RonFlorabud » Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 am

Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:Loose's has been selling in Norwich for over 200 years and only 2 different owners in all that time. But although it is a performing well with good footfall and profits the owner is closing the store and will be concentrating on selling online. He thinks it is sustainable to have the shop now but does not think it will be sustainable in 5 years time.
I wonder what he anticipates is going to occur over the next 5 years and beyond... :think:
Perhaps he has eyes and has noticed what is happening in the "High Street". Five years is a long time and without doubt many more big name stores will have disappeared.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 3276
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 1796 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by Boro Boy » Sat May 05, 2018 4:48 pm

RonFlorabud wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
blythburgh wrote:Loose's has been selling in Norwich for over 200 years and only 2 different owners in all that time. But although it is a performing well with good footfall and profits the owner is closing the store and will be concentrating on selling online. He thinks it is sustainable to have the shop now but does not think it will be sustainable in 5 years time.
I wonder what he anticipates is going to occur over the next 5 years and beyond... :think:
Perhaps he has eyes and has noticed what is happening in the "High Street". Five years is a long time and without doubt many more big name stores will have disappeared.
Perhaps he does have eyes, perhaps not, but I wonder what he knows that hasn't already been mentioned in this thread since its begining... :wtf:

pabenny
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 998 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by pabenny » Sun May 06, 2018 7:57 am

Boro Boy wrote:... I wonder what he knows that hasn't already been mentioned in this thread since its beginning...
Obviously he will know the specifics of his business. Beyond that, the main themes affecting retail have been mentioned in this thread:

- the costs of a high street store continue to rise - occupancy costs (rent, rates, utilities) and staff costs have been rising faster than inflation and there's nothing to suggest that trend will abate

- more of us are spending more online, and that also isn't going to change.

If I were running or advising a retailer, I would be thinking along the same lines as the owner of Loose's. And he's right to be planning action before it's too late.
Last edited by pabenny on Sun May 06, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

planteria
Posts: 5048
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 394 times
Been thanked: 1460 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to close....

Post by planteria » Sun May 06, 2018 8:23 am

agreed. niche+/internet. or forget it - accepting that 'mass market grocery' or 'discount everything' are niches of sorts.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest