40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Boro Boy
Posts: 3266
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 1792 times
Contact:

40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm

With over 11,000 visits to the initial thread this is obviously a theme that members are interested in/concerned about... :think:
Thanked by: pakefield

kevinchess1
Posts: 21684
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm
Sharing: 5stars.png
Location: Miles away from the sea
Has thanked: 12147 times
Been thanked: 15508 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 pm

I suspect 10,992 of those visits were you!
Thanked by: pakefield, Dream on
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy
Posts: 3266
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 1792 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:03 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:I suspect 10,992 of those visits were you!

How good are you at counting...? :eh:

blythburgh
Posts: 13567
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 28070 times
Been thanked: 5477 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by blythburgh » Tue May 22, 2018 9:24 am

M and S to close or convert to food only shops. Wonder if ours will survive? The Great Yarmouth one went some years ago and was replaced with an out of town food only store.

No idea what happened to the Yarmouth shop but both here and there M and S have/had very big shops. I know it took years for the even larger Co-op shop in Yarmouth got taken over, as far as I can remember the space was split into various shops. But in both towns the space occupied would not be suitable for that solution. And I suspect many of the shops to close are in a similar position.
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

William Joseph1
Posts: 10720
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2397 times
Been thanked: 5995 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 am

blythburgh wrote:M and S to close or convert to food only shops. Wonder if ours will survive? The Great Yarmouth one went some years ago and was replaced with an out of town food only store.

No idea what happened to the Yarmouth shop but both here and there M and S have/had very big shops. I know it took years for the even larger Co-op shop in Yarmouth got taken over, as far as I can remember the space was split into various shops. But in both towns the space occupied would not be suitable for that solution. And I suspect many of the shops to close are in a similar position.
They are saying they will close 100 stores over the next four years, (up to 2022) They do not say how many they will open in that period. They are continually opening small food only stores in out of town trading estates and also adding to their Joint venture with BP. Not sure how that will work for the long term as garages adapt to the movement of people to Hybrid/Electric vehicles. It is true that they are moving away from their traditional base of clothing etc. But this has been loss making for sometime so it can only be a good thing.
Thanked by: Dream on, pakefield
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy
Posts: 3266
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 1792 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
blythburgh wrote:M and S to close or convert to food only shops. Wonder if ours will survive? The Great Yarmouth one went some years ago and was replaced with an out of town food only store.

No idea what happened to the Yarmouth shop but both here and there M and S have/had very big shops. I know it took years for the even larger Co-op shop in Yarmouth got taken over, as far as I can remember the space was split into various shops. But in both towns the space occupied would not be suitable for that solution. And I suspect many of the shops to close are in a similar position.
They are saying they will close 100 stores over the next four years, (up to 2022) They do not say how many they will open in that period. They are continually opening small food only stores in out of town trading estates and also adding to their Joint venture with BP. Not sure how that will work for the long term as garages adapt to the movement of people to Hybrid/Electric vehicles. It is true that they are moving away from their traditional base of clothing etc. But this has been loss making for sometime so it can only be a good thing.

Heres the details: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... ef=uk-news

Chadwick
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 689 times
Been thanked: 1842 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Chadwick » Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 am

blythburgh wrote:M and S to close or convert to food only shops. Wonder if ours will survive?
The BBC wrote:Of the 100 stores, 21 have already been shut and M&S has now revealed the location of 14 further sites to close. The 14 M&S stores affected are:
◾Bayswater, Fleetwood (outlet store) and Newton Abbot (outlet store), which are all due to close by the end of July 2018
◾Clacton and Holloway Road, which will both shut by early 2019
◾Darlington, East Kilbride, Falkirk, Kettering, Newmarket, New Mersey Speke, Northampton, Stockton and Walsall, which are proposed for closure

Image
Thanked by: pakefield

Boro Boy
Posts: 3266
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 892 times
Been thanked: 1792 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Chadwick wrote:
blythburgh wrote:M and S to close or convert to food only shops. Wonder if ours will survive?
The BBC wrote:Of the 100 stores, 21 have already been shut and M&S has now revealed the location of 14 further sites to close. The 14 M&S stores affected are:
◾Bayswater, Fleetwood (outlet store) and Newton Abbot (outlet store), which are all due to close by the end of July 2018
◾Clacton and Holloway Road, which will both shut by early 2019
◾Darlington, East Kilbride, Falkirk, Kettering, Newmarket, New Mersey Speke, Northampton, Stockton and Walsall, which are proposed for closure

Image
I wonder where the other closures will be to make up the 100...!?! Frightening :wtf:
Thanked by: pakefield

William Joseph1
Posts: 10720
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2397 times
Been thanked: 5995 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Frightening Why?

Not a shop I ever use or care about. Overpriced in every way. If you are thinking about the effect on the High Street then as I have said before it has evolved and is continuing to evolve. The effect on jobs? We continue to have good rates of employment with another reduction in unemployment announced recently.

Do we need a High Street in the future?
Last edited by William Joseph1 on Tue May 22, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: pakefield
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

macliam
Posts: 7508
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1329 times
Been thanked: 6421 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by macliam » Tue May 22, 2018 2:29 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:Frightening Why?

Not a shop I ever use or care about. Overpriced in every way.
Yes, rarely use it these days - so many better alternatives!

Sandwiches are still good quality and their custard tarts are better than the alternatives...... but not worth a visit for those alone.

Also, I hate their "chop and change" attitude in food. You just get used to something and.... they stop it. Tough. :roll:
Thanked by: pakefield, Dream on
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest