40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Dream on
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 2771 times
Been thanked: 401 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Dream on » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:44 am

Boro Boy wrote:More expected than news I think but Debenhams is to close 50 stores resulting in a couple of thousand job losses...!

See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45972428
Debenhams has posted record annual losses and said it will close up to 50 stores, putting 4,000 jobs at risk.

Constantine
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 462 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Constantine » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:53 am

More detail here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45975321

Debenhams made a pre-tax profit of £33m, but also made "exceptional write-downs of £512.4m, including reductions in the value of its goodwill, stores and IT systems", and therefore lost £491.5m overall.

They were going to close 10 presumably unprofitable stores, but have now decided another 40 stores will become unprofitable in the next few years, so they intend closing them as well.

macliam
Posts: 7542
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1331 times
Been thanked: 6437 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:38 am

Constantine wrote:More detail here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45975321

Debenhams made a pre-tax profit of £33m, but also made "exceptional write-downs of £512.4m, including reductions in the value of its goodwill, stores and IT systems", and therefore lost £491.5m overall.

They were going to close 10 presumably unprofitable stores, but have now decided another 40 stores will become unprofitable in the next few years, so they intend closing them as well.
The numbers seem to be a pointless projection. They had decided to close 10 stores and now say that another 40 that are currently profitable may cease to be so over the next few years... It's hardly a strange concept that a company will close unprofitable stores and, by the sound of it, this is what Debenhams are saying. So, ignoring the copywriter's headline, Debenhams still intends to close 10 unprofitable stores and have identified a further 40 which will be closed, IF they become unprofitable. Sounds like a strategy to me, not a plan to close 50 stores.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 1032 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by pabenny » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 am

macliam wrote:Debenhams still intends to close 10 unprofitable stores and have identified a further 40 which will be closed, IF they become unprofitable...
The big driver will be the lease commitments. Many retailers are being squeezed by declining high street sales and increasing high street rents. All those share-price boosting sale and leaseback deals in the 90s and 00s are now biting back.

Having been slow at 'rightsizing' their estate, they presumably want to signal to the markets that they are now addressing this challenge and a signal to landlords of expectations on rent reviews. Most Debenhams stores would be difficult for landlords to relet if Debenhams don't renew their leases, or worse go into liquidation.

Boro Boy
Posts: 3336
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 898 times
Been thanked: 1829 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:55 pm

I know there is a lot of competition in the food sector but it seems even after recent restructuring, problems & troubles continue; how can the job market continue to absorb these potential job losses...?: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/compani ... spartanntp :think:

Constantine
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 462 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Constantine » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm

macliam wrote:
Constantine wrote:More detail here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45975321

Debenhams made a pre-tax profit of £33m, but also made "exceptional write-downs of £512.4m, including reductions in the value of its goodwill, stores and IT systems", and therefore lost £491.5m overall.

They were going to close 10 presumably unprofitable stores, but have now decided another 40 stores will become unprofitable in the next few years, so they intend closing them as well.
The numbers seem to be a pointless projection. They had decided to close 10 stores and now say that another 40 that are currently profitable may cease to be so over the next few years... It's hardly a strange concept that a company will close unprofitable stores and, by the sound of it, this is what Debenhams are saying. So, ignoring the copywriter's headline, Debenhams still intends to close 10 unprofitable stores and have identified a further 40 which will be closed, IF they become unprofitable. Sounds like a strategy to me, not a plan to close 50 stores.
Ignoring the headline is a lesson that everyone needs to learn. :)

Constantine
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 462 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Constantine » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Boro Boy wrote:I know there is a lot of competition in the food sector but it seems even after recent restructuring, problems & troubles continue; how can the job market continue to absorb these potential job losses...?: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/compani ... spartanntp :think:
Because there are other companies that are recruiting.

What did you think the answer would be?

Boro Boy
Posts: 3336
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 898 times
Been thanked: 1829 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Constantine wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:I know there is a lot of competition in the food sector but it seems even after recent restructuring, problems & troubles continue; how can the job market continue to absorb these potential job losses...?: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/compani ... spartanntp :think:
Because there are other companies that are recruiting.

What did you think the answer would be?
Perhaps I may have thought that the recruitment rate would not match the job loss rate and couldn't continue to absorb these job losses...? Had you contemplated that? :eh:

William Joseph1
Posts: 10863
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2423 times
Been thanked: 6131 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by William Joseph1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Mike Ashley has just this week bough Evans Cycles for 8m https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46074109
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 1032 times
Contact:

Re: 40 Stores to Close... (part 2)

Post by pabenny » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:36 pm

House of Fraser, Evans, interest in taking full control of Debenhams. A whiff of over-reaching?
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests