MPs call for social care tax for over 40s

Money, investing, mutuals etc
William Joseph1

Re: MPs call for social care tax for over 40s

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Boro Boy wrote:Do people only require social care after age 40...? :eh:
What does that question have to do with the subject matter? I should have thought the answer was obvious.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:29 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
What does that question have to do with the subject matter? I should have thought the answer was obvious.

Correct: everyone (potentially) needs social care so why expect only the over 40's to fund it - there I hope that's clearer now!?!
Thanked by: blythburgh

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:44 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
William Joseph1 wrote:

Correct: everyone (potentially) needs social care so why expect only the over 40's to fund it - there I hope that's clearer now!?!
The answer is in the report, which you have obviously not yet read.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:53 pm

William Joseph1 wrote: The answer is in the report, which you have obviously not yet read.
I think its a hash of an answer in the report... :crazy:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:18 am

A few of the under 40's need social care. A lot more of the over 40's need it and are also more likely to use the NHS.

Over 40 you stand far more chance of owning your own home on a very small mortgage compared to the under 40's and you have probably got a better pension deal than the under 40's.
Thanked by: Dream on, dustie
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:43 am

blythburgh wrote: and you have probably got a better pension deal than the under 40's.
I put a decent percentage of my salary into my pension from my early 20's so I expect a good private pension.

When I finished working I had the 30 qualifying years to get a full Govt pension , now they have shifted the goalposts and I find I am now 4 years short of the 35 years you now need to get the full pension and also I will have to wait longer to get it. ( I know this will now apply to everyone who hasn't retired yet ). I think that when you start work you are entering into a contract that says you will get your pension at XX age and this is what you work/plan towards.
Thanked by: dustie, blythburgh

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:05 pm

expressman33 wrote:
I put a decent percentage of my salary into my pension from my early 20's so I expect a good private pension.

When I finished working I had the 30 qualifying years to get a full Govt pension , now they have shifted the goalposts and I find I am now 4 years short of the 35 years you now need to get the full pension and also I will have to wait longer to get it. ( I know this will now apply to everyone who hasn't retired yet ). I think that when you start work you are entering into a contract that says you will get your pension at XX age and this is what you work/plan towards.
No. Your 30 qualifying years will still get you your basic state pension of £125.95 per week. To receive the new state pension of £164.35 per week you need 35 qualifying years.

Your contract has been adhered to.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Constantine wrote:
expressman33 wrote:

No. Your 30 qualifying years will still get you your basic state pension of £125.95 per week. To receive the new state pension of £164.35 per week you need 35 qualifying years.

Your contract has been adhered to.
I was supposed to get a pension at 65 and my wife at 60 . Now we both have to wait till 66

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:00 pm

expressman33 wrote:I was supposed to get a pension at 65 and my wife at 60 . Now we both have to wait till 66
Ditto, plus now nobody seems to know what will happen regarding SWMBO post brexit (as she has no NI number, having come here as my wife). Plus my final salary pension was clobbered and changed from payout at 60 to 65, so reducing my pension as I had to leave "early" and suffer an actuarial writedown, plus it now seems I am guilty of my company having done as instructed by HMRC, so will either have to pay more or will lose part of my state pension as i was contracted out of Serps. Pensions are a nightmare and seem calculated to ensure you don't actually get what you contracted for.......
Thanked by: expressman33, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:38 pm

expressman33 wrote:
I was supposed to get a pension at 65 and my wife at 60 . Now we both have to wait till 66
Same here. Except Mrs C is 67. But I'm not sure SPA has ever been guaranteed. Leastways, only an idiot would think it was now guaranteed.

But I was specifically responding to your complaint about the changes to the qualifying years etc, The change over from bSP to nSP doesn't mean you get less.

Besides, I can remember the time when you needed 40+ qualifying years to get the full bSP. I think it was New Labour who cut it down to 30. I don't recall there being many complaints.:)