MPs call for social care tax for over 40s

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Constantine

Re: MPs call for social care tax for over 40s

Post by Constantine » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:44 pm

macliam wrote: Ditto, plus now nobody seems to know what will happen regarding SWMBO post brexit (as she has no NI number, having come here as my wife). ......
Apply for a National Insurance number
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Thanked by: RonFlorabud, blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Constantine wrote:
macliam wrote: Ditto, plus now nobody seems to know what will happen regarding SWMBO post brexit (as she has no NI number, having come here as my wife). ......
She did a couple of years back - and was told that if she didn't intend to work she didn't need one. :roll:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:34 pm

When my Malaysian partner applied for one 15 years ago, he was told that he could not get one until he had a job offer. Not sure if that still applies.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:03 am

One of the saddest things about the pension age rise is that many women were totally unaware of the new ages to get their pensions.

But having sad that I am in favour of a joint pension age just wih there had been a lot more publicity or better still a letter send to every woman who would be affected by the change. Not the young but those who were approaching what they thought was their state pension age. But not happy that people in the public sector can retire so early on a full pension. I heard in a quiz show a few years ago a woman say she had retired at 50 as she had done enough years to do so. No wonder the public sector is costing the taxpayer so much.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:39 pm

macliam wrote:
Constantine wrote:
She did a couple of years back - and was told that if she didn't intend to work she didn't need one. :roll:
Mmm well, I'd have thought the answer would thus be straightforward. If you haven't worked in the UK and therefore made no NIC, you won't get a stat pension.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:50 pm

blythburgh wrote:One of the saddest things about the pension age rise is that many women were totally unaware of the new ages to get their pensions.
Or more accurately, a small number of women ignored the avalanche of publicity regarding the change and later moaned about it.
blythburgh wrote: But having sad that I am in favour of a joint pension age just wih there had been a lot more publicity or better still a letter send to every woman who would be affected by the change. Not the young but those who were approaching what they thought was their state pension age. But not happy that people in the public sector can retire so early on a full pension. I heard in a quiz show a few years ago a woman say she had retired at 50 as she had done enough years to do so. No wonder the public sector is costing the taxpayer so much.
Public sector retirement ages have been revised upwards.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Constantine wrote:Mmm well, I'd have thought the answer would thus be straightforward. If you haven't worked in the UK and therefore made no NIC, you won't get a stat pension.
She's my wife, I've made contributions ...... or is a foreigner somehow different to an Englishwoman in the same position????
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:09 pm

I started work, paying National Insurance and into an employer pension scheme in 1982. I have my full 35 years contributions already, but at age 51, cannot claim my State Pension for another 16 years.

As an over 40 year old I am one who may be affected by this Social Care Tax.

So what is the National Insurance I will pay for the next 16 years going towards - my pension, NHS, Social Care?

Seems I my be paying twice for something!

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 pm

jaytee wrote:I started work, paying National Insurance and into an employer pension scheme in 1982. I have my full 35 years contributions already, but at age 51, cannot claim my State Pension for another 16 years.

As an over 40 year old I am one who may be affected by this Social Care Tax.

So what is the National Insurance I will pay for the next 16 years going towards - my pension, NHS, Social Care?

Seems I my be paying twice for something!
This is what NI was for, this new Tax is basically a new NI changed along side the existing NI - this is not going to go down well and is a massive error if adopted...

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:34 am

jaytee wrote:So what is the National Insurance I will pay for the next 16 years going towards
Your NI is paying for today's state pensioners and other welfare recipients.

The state pension has always been based on the idea that today's workers pay for today's pensioners. But as the proportion of retired people grows, this becomes harder to sustain: when you started work, there was 1 over 65 for every 4 people of working age; by the time you retire, that will have increased to nearly 2 people for ever 4 of working age.
Thanked by: Boro Boy, blythburgh