Gas & Electric Bills...

Money, investing, mutuals etc
Boro Boy

Gas & Electric Bills...

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 pm

I realised that British Gas put up their prices recently but it wasn't until I got my bill earlier today that I realised by how much.

It is not so much the unit prices that have changed but the daily charge has risen by something like 50%!!!!

Gas:
Unit price was: 3.890p now 3.960p
Standing charge was: 24.770p now 35.660p

Electric:
Unit price was: 14.760p now 14.420p (rate has actually fallen - slightly!!)
Standing charge was: 24.770p now 36.070p

:cry:
Thanked by: blythburgh, expressman33

planteria

Re: Gas & Electric Bills...

Post by planteria » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:41 am

why be with British Gas? :think:.
get a better deal elsewhere :thumbup:.
Thanked by: blythburgh, expressman33

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 am

I am sure Boro Boy is looking elsewhere but I thank him for making this public. Not with BG and on a prize freeze lock in so not affected until the lock in ends of course :lol:
Thanked by: Boro Boy
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:41 pm

The standing charges you quote seem exceptionally high. I just did a quick check and all of the BG rates currently on offer to new customers in London have daily charges around 26p and not the 35P+ mentioned in the op.

The standing charges primarily cover the fixed infrastructure and are in effect set by the whoever runs the network in your area, with a small mark up by the supplier.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:32 pm

pabenny wrote:The standing charges you quote seem exceptionally high. I just did a quick check and all of the BG rates currently on offer to new customers in London have daily charges around 26p and not the 35P+ mentioned in the op.

The standing charges primarily cover the fixed infrastructure and are in effect set by the whoever runs the network in your area, with a small mark up by the supplier.
I have just found out it is worse still...!!!

The daily standing charges I mentioned are before VAT. So the new rates are actually:

GAS: 37.45p
Elect: 37.88p

Apparently the rate differs in different parts of the country as BG has different geographical overheads! The rate can be reduced to the 26p+ area but only on DD which I am reluctant to do again as BG caused lots of issues and errors last time that arrangement was in place. So its a 50% increase if I stay with BG :crazy:

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
I have just found out it is worse still...!!!

The daily standing charges I mentioned are before VAT. So the new rates are actually:

GAS: 37.45p
Elect: 37.88p

Apparently the rate differs in different parts of the country as BG has different geographical overheads! The rate can be reduced to the 26p+ area but only on DD which I am reluctant to do again as BG caused lots of issues and errors last time that arrangement was in place. So its a 50% increase if I stay with BG :crazy:
That seems rather a lot. My standing charge is 24.52p a day for each. Gas is 2.75kwh, electric 12.06kwh. All inclusive of VAT.

I'd switch. I believe cashback is sometimes available on switches. :)

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Looks like I will be switching...!

I can recall the days when this daily charge didn't exist. It's really just a way to confuse the customer as when the fuel prices increase they can quote "...it only rose by 5%" But then they up the daily charge by 50% and that gets hidden!

Does anyone know of a decent supplier who still doesn't have a daily charge on top of the fuel charges..? :think:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Boro Boy wrote:Apparently the rate differs in different parts of the country as BG has different geographical overheads
Regional differences in standing charges are historic and are nothing to do with today's British Gas. For example, in rural areas, there may be a just a few properties at the end of the cable whereas in a more densely populated area, the same infrastructure serves dozens of properties. Underground cables are obviously not affected by weather, trees, etc but are more costly to fix when maintenance is required.
Boro Boy wrote: The rate can be reduced to the 26p+ area but only on DD which I am reluctant to do again...
DD is much lower cost that people mailing in cheques - which is why almost all service providers charge less if you pay by DD. If you switch supplier, the charge may be shown differently but you'll still end up paying more if you don't pay by DD.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Boro Boy wrote:Does anyone know of a decent supplier who still doesn't have a daily charge on top of the fuel charges..?
I don't think there are any. Standing charges have always been there, even before privatisation. They may be unpopular but the fact remains there is a fixed cost that's not related to the amount of fuel you use. For a time, suppliers offered two-rate tariffs - Xp on the first n units per day and then Yp on the remainder. It was the same thing dressed up in a different way.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 pm

I switched to a 1 year fixed rate with economy energy last October and currently pay

Gas:
Unit price 2.64p
Standing charge 14.0p

Electric:
Unit price 12.85p
Standing charge 14.0p

all prices include VAT