Money, investing, mutuals etc
William Joseph1

"British Steel on verge of administration"

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:46 am

British Steel on verge of administration
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48347371

Will it be bailed out or not?
Thanked by: Dream on, blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Re: "British Steel on verge of administration"

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:26 am

Provocation: don't get me started on this one... :thumbdown:

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:45 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:26 am
There is nothing provocative about the subject being raised. You choose to contribute to the debate or not. I have no intention avoiding subjects you might not be happy with.
Thanked by: Dream on, blythburgh, pabenny
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Where is the provocation? The Govt. may or may not choose to bail them out. If they do it means using taxpayers money. If they do not jobs will be loss.

There are arguments for and against a bail out. No reason why this should not be debated.
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Where is the provocation? The Govt. may or may not choose to bail them out. If they do it means using taxpayers money. If they do not jobs will be loss.

There are arguments for and against a bail out. No reason why this should not be debated.
When the Steel works in Redcar had issues and asked the Government for help the answer was:

The UK government is "limited" in what it can do to aid ailing Teesside steel firm SSI because of strict EU rules, business Minister Anna Soubry has said.

When we are outside the EU their restrictions on the UK Government acting to secure UK jobs and the future of the UK's infrastructure industries will be lifted.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am

I think we already had that discussion. But to repeat: the Conservative party in government has shown little inclination to support ailing manufacturing industry. What makes you think they would choose to support steel-making after leaving the EU?

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 am

Conservative governments have in the past seen little need to inject cash into other ailing businesses. I see no reason why they would change their minds here. I suspect they will not, but I stand to be corrected.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 am
Conservative governments have in the past seen little need to inject cash into other ailing businesses. I see no reason why they would change their minds here. I suspect they will not, but I stand to be corrected.
They couldn't legally being a member within the EU, even if they wanted:

The UK government is "limited" in what it can do to aid ailing Teesside steel firm SSI because of strict EU rules, business Minister Anna Soubry has said.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am
When the Steel works in Redcar had issues and asked the Government for help the answer was:

When we are outside the EU their restrictions on the UK Government acting to secure UK jobs and the future of the UK's infrastructure industries will be lifted.
Post Brexit practise will be governed by any treaty (Brexit withdrawal deal) that is agreed and the policies of the government of the day.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am

Post Brexit practise will be governed by any treaty (Brexit withdrawal deal) that is agreed and the policies of the government of the day.
Lets hope that doesn't restrict the democratic actions of the UK Government in the UK as the membership of the EU does...! :wave: