Re: "British Steel on verge of administration"

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm
William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am
When the Steel works in Redcar had issues and asked the Government for help the answer was:

The UK government is "limited" in what it can do to aid ailing Teesside steel firm SSI because of strict EU rules, business Minister Anna Soubry has said.

When we are outside the EU their restrictions on the UK Government acting to secure UK jobs and the future of the UK's infrastructure industries will be lifted.
Post Brexit practise will be governed by any treaty (Brexit withdrawal deal) that is agreed and the policies of the government of the day.
Lets hope that doesn't restrict the democratic actions of the UK Government in the UK as the membership of the EU does!
You are welcome to speak for yourself but please do not conjoin my thoughts with yours, because although not discussed I am sure vary a great deal.
Thanked by: blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm
William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 am
Post Brexit practise will be governed by any treaty (Brexit withdrawal deal) that is agreed and the policies of the government of the day.
Lets hope that doesn't restrict the democratic actions of the UK Government in the UK as the membership of the EU does!
You are welcome to speak for yourself but please do not conjoin my thoughts with yours, because although not discussed I am sure vary a great deal.
I can go along with that, so I will rephrase my text: I certainly hope that doesn't restrict the democratic actions of the UK Government in the UK as the membership of the EU does! :wave:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue May 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 am
They couldn't legally [support the steel industry] being a member within the EU, even if they wanted:
I can't legally smoke weed (in the UK), even if I want to.
Doesn't mean that I would smoke weed if it were lawful.

State Aid rules do not necessarily mean that the (Tory) government will choose support the steel industry post-Brexit. Only that doesn't fit with the narrative of the EU restricting UK government actions.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am

Where is the provocation? The Govt. may or may not choose to bail them out. If they do it means using taxpayers money. If they do not jobs will be lost.

There are arguments for and against a bail out. No reason why this should not be debated.
Maybe bailing BS out , if it is legally possible ,will cost less in the long run . Employed people pay more in taxes and spend more , keeping the Local Economy going and others employed .If BS goes bust the Govt will have to pay out in benefits for the unemployed ( possible even the statutory redundancy pay if BS can't afford it )

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue May 21, 2019 1:32 pm

I hope we don't see yet another sad day for British industry.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 pm

Of course it's bad for people who lose their jobs. It's bad for communities that are dependent on a single industry.

But let's also be honest. A steelworks isn't exactly the most pleasant workplace and not one that most of us would choose.
Thanked by: emsky

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 pm

What are the EU rules about state aid?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41392469
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm

pabenny wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 pm
Of course it's bad for people who lose their jobs. It's bad for communities that are dependent on a single industry.

But let's also be honest. A steelworks isn't exactly the most pleasant workplace and not one that most of us would choose.
I tend to agree with you if you are a patronising, wimpy stockbroker belt Southerner but if you live in the North East you could be joining the existing redundancy queue containing thousands who for generations who are proud to have made Steel that has built the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the London Underground etc. all from the NE for over 150+ years; it being a family progression that Fathers and Sons found their livelihood in honourable manual work. :wave:

A long honourable history: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tees/hi/peo ... 220056.stm

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue May 21, 2019 7:19 pm

And the Chinese are flooding the market with silly cheap steel.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue May 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm
I tend to agree with you if you are a patronising, wimpy stockbroker belt Southerner but if you live in the North East you could be joining the existing redundancy queue containing thousands who for generations who are proud to have made Steel that has built the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the London Underground etc. all from the NE for over 150+ years; it being a family progression that Fathers and Sons found their livelihood in honourable manual work.

A long honourable history: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tees/hi/peo ... 220056.stm
I'm not any of those things and I acknowledge the honourable history of manual work in general. Likewise, those who fired and drove steam locomotives. But whilst steam locomotives were things of beauty, they were also noisy, dirty, simultaneously hot and cold uncomfortable places to work. Nostalgia apart, I doubt there are many train drivers who would permanently give up their air-conditioned cabs to go back to steam. (There are, of course, a fair number who do this voluntarily - but not as their day jobs).

(PS - I seem to recall someone complaining about a poster inserting a verbal portrait of an individual they do not know. Do you know who that was?)