Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Money, investing, mutuals etc
planteria
Posts: 5233
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 1048 times
Contact:

Re: Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Post by planteria » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:35 am

it's not ludicrously worthless, it just is what it is. future governments will govern, and make changes as they determine they should. we can listen to what current ministers/authorities have to say, accept that things change, and act accordingly.
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:53 pm
planteria wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:56 am
well, no, that's not right. the state is going to help, by providing the state pension. that's part of our retirement income. but yes, we all need to try to put some aside for the future too.
If you want a comfortable retirement the state pension will not provide that level of peace of mind. The state pension will keep you living just above the breadline.
but my point stands: it will help towards that comfortable retirement. & agreed expressman. £1424/m for a couple? that's useful (additional)income for anyone. with no debt and a paid for home, we could live on that.
Thanked by: expressman33

expressman33
Posts: 10037
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2312 times
Been thanked: 9334 times
Contact:

Re: Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Post by expressman33 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Better health means 70 is the new 65, says government report

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2019-1 ... m_content=

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 23998
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 3134 times
Contact:

Re: Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:15 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:34 pm
Better health means 70 is the new 65, says government report

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2019-1 ... m_content=
Well done everyone for looking after themselves.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

pakefield
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm
Has thanked: 609 times
Been thanked: 153 times
Contact:

Re: Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Post by pakefield » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:42 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:04 pm
Derbiean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:10 pm
They might as well just go straight to scrapping the state pension completely.
Agreed.

Lucky it doesn't make much difference to me but I know people who will not make ends meet.
I did not realise you were already retired

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 23998
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 3134 times
Contact:

Re: Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:18 am

pakefield wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:42 pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:04 pm
Derbiean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:10 pm
They might as well just go straight to scrapping the state pension completely.
Agreed.

Lucky it doesn't make much difference to me but I know people who will not make ends meet.
I did not realise you were already retired
I'm not retired. I work full-time, own shares, trade shares, rented properties, employer pension, and I'm fortunate that I own the freehold of a chippy with good footfall.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

macliam
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1281 times
Been thanked: 6222 times
Contact:

Re: Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:25 am

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:34 pm
Better health means 70 is the new 65, says government report

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2019-1 ... m_content=
Right hand, left hand. If 70 is the new 65, then surely the pension age should start at 70, not 75....... :eh:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1281 times
Been thanked: 6222 times
Contact:

Re: Tories plan to raise the state pension age to 75 over the next 16 years

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:31 am

planteria wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:35 am
it's not ludicrously worthless, it just is what it is. future governments will govern, and make changes as they determine they should. we can listen to what current ministers/authorities have to say, accept that things change, and act accordingly.
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:53 pm
planteria wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:56 am
well, no, that's not right. the state is going to help, by providing the state pension. that's part of our retirement income. but yes, we all need to try to put some aside for the future too.
If you want a comfortable retirement the state pension will not provide that level of peace of mind. The state pension will keep you living just above the breadline.
but my point stands: it will help towards that comfortable retirement. & agreed expressman. £1424/m for a couple? that's useful (additional)income for anyone. with no debt and a paid for home, we could live on that.
Be aware that there is no longer such a thing as "a couple" in state pension terms. Pensions are payable to individuals based on their own pension record, with no inherited rights. So, if a woman has not worked, she needs to claim pension credits to get anything...... and if she gets no pension of her own, then if her husband dies, she will not receive any portion of his state pension.
Thanked by: pabenny
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests