Halifax Rewards to be scrapped

Money, investing, mutuals etc
blythburgh
Posts: 15005
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 27265 times
Been thanked: 5502 times
Contact:

Re: Halifax Rewards to be scrapped

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:20 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am
planteria wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:55 am
I see ii are offering up to 2.25%, and I’m getting similar from one of my local Co-ops.
We need to be looking outside the normal sphere to get anything useful from cash nowadays, especially with the demise of good rates from regular savers.
It was a bygone era you could make double-digit profit from your saving.
I can remember double digit interest rates along with terrible inflation so the interest was not a real gain in terms of what the money would buy
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33
Posts: 10251
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2412 times
Been thanked: 9578 times
Contact:

Re: Halifax Rewards to be scrapped

Post by expressman33 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 am

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am
planteria wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:55 am
I see ii are offering up to 2.25%, and I’m getting similar from one of my local Co-ops.
We need to be looking outside the normal sphere to get anything useful from cash nowadays, especially with the demise of good rates from regular savers.
I can buy from my nearest Central England Co-op stores and get 1% cashback which is not available instantly.

If I go to the next village or a nearby town I can get 1% on branded goods and 5% on Co-op branded goods and the money is available for me to have off my next shop. I tend to do my Co-op shopping at the nationally owned ones and stock up on stuff like coffee when I am in the village/town with the "right" Co-op Store.

Better rate of return at both types of Co-op than I most savings accounts
But the Co-op tends to be more expensive than other supermarkets.
Thanked by: dustie

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24551
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 3237 times
Contact:

Re: Halifax Rewards to be scrapped

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:32 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 am
blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am
planteria wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:55 am
I see ii are offering up to 2.25%, and I’m getting similar from one of my local Co-ops.
We need to be looking outside the normal sphere to get anything useful from cash nowadays, especially with the demise of good rates from regular savers.
I can buy from my nearest Central England Co-op stores and get 1% cashback which is not available instantly.

If I go to the next village or a nearby town I can get 1% on branded goods and 5% on Co-op branded goods and the money is available for me to have off my next shop. I tend to do my Co-op shopping at the nationally owned ones and stock up on stuff like coffee when I am in the village/town with the "right" Co-op Store.

Better rate of return at both types of Co-op than I most savings accounts
But the Co-op tends to be more expensive than other supermarkets.
My experience is also that our local Co-Op is more expensive than Asda, Lidl and Tesco.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

planteria
Posts: 5287
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 1083 times
Contact:

Re: Halifax Rewards to be scrapped

Post by planteria » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:12 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am
I can buy from my nearest Central England Co-op stores and get 1% cashback which is not available instantly.
and they pay 2.25% on cash deposits.

blythburgh
Posts: 15005
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 27265 times
Been thanked: 5502 times
Contact:

Re: Halifax Rewards to be scrapped

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:38 am

expressman33 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 am
blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am
planteria wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:55 am
I see ii are offering up to 2.25%, and I’m getting similar from one of my local Co-ops.
We need to be looking outside the normal sphere to get anything useful from cash nowadays, especially with the demise of good rates from regular savers.
I can buy from my nearest Central England Co-op stores and get 1% cashback which is not available instantly.

If I go to the next village or a nearby town I can get 1% on branded goods and 5% on Co-op branded goods and the money is available for me to have off my next shop. I tend to do my Co-op shopping at the nationally owned ones and stock up on stuff like coffee when I am in the village/town with the "right" Co-op Store.

Better rate of return at both types of Co-op than I most savings accounts
But the Co-op tends to be more expensive than other supermarkets.
It all depends, sometimes the corner shop or the Co-op is cheaper than the big supermarkets. And remember to factor in cost of getting to the cheapest shop. We spread our shopping over more than one shop but tend not to go out of our way to go to a specific shop.

No idea whyI remember this conversation but I do. Quite a few years ago, Brenda, the then owner of our corner shop, told me how someone came in for a loaf of bread. Looked at the price and said Morrisons was cheaper so they would drive down there and get the bread there. About a mile there and back and you can bet they bought other stuff they did not really need whilst they were there. So much much dearer was the loaf of bread at the corner shop in the end?
Thanked by: dustie
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24551
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 3237 times
Contact:

Re: Halifax Rewards to be scrapped

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:45 am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:38 am
expressman33 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 am
blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am


I can buy from my nearest Central England Co-op stores and get 1% cashback which is not available instantly.

If I go to the next village or a nearby town I can get 1% on branded goods and 5% on Co-op branded goods and the money is available for me to have off my next shop. I tend to do my Co-op shopping at the nationally owned ones and stock up on stuff like coffee when I am in the village/town with the "right" Co-op Store.

Better rate of return at both types of Co-op than I most savings accounts
But the Co-op tends to be more expensive than other supermarkets.
It all depends, sometimes the corner shop or the Co-op is cheaper than the big supermarkets. And remember to factor in cost of getting to the cheapest shop. We spread our shopping over more than one shop but tend not to go out of our way to go to a specific shop.

No idea whyI remember this conversation but I do. Quite a few years ago, Brenda, the then owner of our corner shop, told me how someone came in for a loaf of bread. Looked at the price and said Morrisons was cheaper so they would drive down there and get the bread there. About a mile there and back and you can bet they bought other stuff they did not really need whilst they were there. So much much dearer was the loaf of bread at the corner shop in the end?
Perhaps this mystery person has more money than they know what to do with?
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest